Fallout 76 - Bethesda's new car crash of an online game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fallout 76 - Bethesda's new car crash of an online game

Announced ahead of E3, Bethesda has revealled Fallout 76 and online only survival multiplayer experience set 25 years after the bombs dropped.

Not that many details are known about the game yet, so no doubt more will be revealed at E3. It'll probably have a battle royale mode and cosmetic loot boxes

I'm not a fan of Bethesda's Elder Scrolls Online, I'd much rather they stick with the single player experience, but it looks like this is where they're deciding to concentrate their efforts currently.
    Last edited by MartyG; 29-11-2018, 19:25.

Interest - Deleted

Owning a gaming PC makes the idea of an online post-apocalypse survival game even more tiresome given the utter sea of them out there but really, this is the least interesting idea they could have done. They should have just swallowed their pride and let someone do a spin-off again like New Vegas.

Comment

Yep, sounds like some cheaper to make/GaaS/live service/Rust/MTX-driven amalgmation, probably as a result of ESO doing well for them financially.

Although I should keep quiet and not admit to rather enjoying ESO since I picked it up last year. And recently returning for Summerset...

Comment

I am happy at the fact there is another Fallout game for the home consoles... but as a non online multiplayer gamer, I too am disappointed, but for a totally different reason.

I only really play games on my own...

Comment

Originally posted by Mgear View Post
          Although I should keep quiet and not admit to rather enjoying ESO since I picked it up last year. And recently returning for Summerset...
          I don't find it fun at all, although I haven't logged in to my account for well over a year. I just found it very generic when I played it, completely lacking the character and fun of Skyrim.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
            I don't find it fun at all, although I haven't logged in to my account for well over a year. I just found it very generic when I played it, completely lacking the character and fun of Skyrim.
            Yea, I get that. It's not a uncommon opinion. Obviously there tends to be fans of the TES series that don't like ESO, or play whilst putting up with it's MMO-origins, just because it's another Elder Scrolls game.

For me ESO has been a nice surprise. I picked it up in the Feb 2017 sales for £20 (base collector's edition) and quickly grew to like it. I actually think the progression system, combat and crafting are better than the TES games. Also as an MMO it's fairly unique in not locking end-game activities behind group PVE content. I like the way you can level up doing anything, or find and craft useful items in the open. And the questing is really strong. Stories and choices that are not just 'collect ten of', or 'kill ten of' etc. Or the dull fill the hearts than GW2 can descend into. And I think that's why in part it's been so successful. It's found its market in-between the WoW's, GW2 and FF14's of this world.

I think that is also why I'm also not overly concerned if Fallout 76 is dumping it's single-player origin to become something else - although I understand and appreciate the concerns. I will lose interest if it's a PVP-only game or is a base building 'rust' game with limited questing etc. However if it's more of the same but online - I'm curious. However I'm sure the huge success of ESO has played its part, as much as the obvious trend towards 'live services' has. My issue is more I can't really afford more time and money for anymore live services.

I would hope the business model is less-aggressive though. That's one thing ESO does badly. B2P, multi-tiered versions, with pre-order tat, subscription, cash shop and lootboxes with appallingly bad odds clearly hiding some of the best developed/looking items in the game. Zenimax Online Studios and Bethesda deserve more shaming for that.

Comment

New trailer:

Comment

So Fallout 76 is entirely online giving the game an absolute shelf life :/ I've zero interest in a PvP Fallout so if the solo part is on populated servers I'd expect griefing to be thing. It'll also mean game modding is out of the window, which has been a big part of the recent games.

The four times the size of the map thing - fine if it's actually filled with quests, utterly pointless if it's just busy tasks and walking. Fill your games with content not area please.

Overall, my interest in this game is at an all time low now.
                Last edited by MartyG; 11-06-2018, 08:28.

Comment

Mixed feelings. So much detail not really known. Obviously we saw a gun fight with another Vault dweller. So is PVP mandatory or optional? Todd Howard made that comment about having solo quests, but the game being better in a group. Also referenced Survival several times.

So I think the lack or absence of detail is the killer here, before I can personally form an opinion - although I share some of your concerns. I was not interested in the base building at all. To me it looked like Fallout 4 Online. I think will be like ESO, a very divisive game. It's going to annoy many of the fans of the series.

Comment

Releases 14 November 2018

Comment

Looks like the only way you can get on the beta is to pre-order. I'd do it (and then cancel, which shows not making this an open beta is totally pointless tbh), but it seems that it's US & Canada only at the moment: https://fallout.bethesda.net/buy-now/

Comment

Be honest... who’s getting this to go with their Pipboy thingy?

Comment

£175 GAME exclusive in the UK

Comment

I find the lack of detail on the gameplay disturbing

Comment

Slightly more detail in this interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcxXzHcLNlM

With regards to griefing Hines says, "If you see a deathclaw and don't want to fight it you run away and it won't chase you all over the map" - the suggestion is that if you don't want PvP it's on you to avoid it. Yeah, that's *really* going to work because people online are never asshats.

Comment

Working...
                              X