User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    pvp sounds fine to me from the live stream
    That's not how it's going to work on real servers with real idiots. You can still kill people that haven't opted into PVP through the mechanism (you can't properly opt out entirely), so people will still be griefed.

Source: Any online game ever with a PVP element.
    Last edited by MartyG; 14-08-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
    That's not how it's going to work on real servers with real idiots. You can still kill people that haven't opted into PVP through the mechanism (you can't properly opt out entirely), so people will still be griefed.

Source: Any online game ever with a PVP element.
    yeah but grifers turn themselves into targets they gain nothing from killing and just end up turning a server against themselves. you can block players and you can have your own servers too so there are lots of ways to deal with idiots

Then why not just make PVP completely optional instead of all this convoluted nonsense?

It doesn't matter if there's nothing to gain from griefing in-game - the reward from griefing is the griefing itself and if you allow PVP on your server, someone will find a way of exploiting it because they enjoy annoying other people.

The solutions is to allow people to completely opt out, which Bethesda isn't doing.

Fallout 76 New Details: House Looting, Camps, and Dying During Quests

"Bethesda have constantly been sharing new details and updates on how certain systems will work in Fallout 76, from things such as randomized loot to trading and sleeping bonuses. We’ve now got a few more of those details, thanks to Bethesda’s SVP of marketing and PR Pete Hines’ activity on Twitter.

A fan asked a pretty interesting question- if you loot a house in the game, then quite the game and reload, would the loot in the house have respawned, allowing you to loot again? Hines said that that won’t be the case, and that everything in the world will respawn within a fixed number of hours (he didn’t say how many), and that it wouldn’t be dependent on the player.

Another interesting question asked Hines about camps. In Fallout 76, when you sign out of the game, your base goes offline with you. So if you log back in, and some other player has built their base in the same location while you were off, what happens to your base? According to Hines, since your base is portable, that shouldn’t be a problem, and you can just put it in some other location- though given how large the map in the game is, Hines hopes that that doesn’t have to happen very often.

Lastly, Hines confirmed that if you die in the middle of a quest, you have to pick it back up again wherever you respawn, since you can’t save the game anymore, thanks to automatic saving which is now done by the game itself.

Fallout 76 is due out on November 14 for the PS4, Xbox One, and PC. Its beta begins later this month."

I think RPG is stretching the definition here - this is more like a loot based survival game now, Rust lite. Managing hunger, thirst, radiation, weapon and armour degradation - all the things that make these games a chore to play. Still, who doesn't need cosmetic microtransactions in their game?

It's unlikely to stop there I'd wager, lootboxes crept into ESO after launch.

Online only multiplayer game as a service. Kerching.
    Last edited by MartyG; 09-10-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Blasting people in an immersion-breaking trollathon isn't what attracts me to this series.

I really enjoyed the base building in Fallout 4, so much that I want to play something with just that (like State of Decay).

However, the real joy, for me, is discovering the new locations and learning about what happened there, and dealing with whatever is there now, be it with guns or words.

Just taken some time to look at a couple of the previews. And I like the look of it, or at least parts of it really appeal. The complete lack of true PVE is still the killer though. Particularly where you lose all your stuff.

Also it really does look like Fallout 4, which is no surprise given this started out as the Fallout 4 Multiplayer mode.

@MartyG - like the decision tree. Arguably Path of Exile would be a 'Free experience' and Warframe would be 'Pay-to-win' which most would lambast.