Advice from people who have sold their collections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

Has anyone swapped one collection addiction for another?
    I think this happened to me. Moved away from consoles and got into PCBs.

Not the smartest move.

- Getting more expensive than current retro console prices (AES cart territory on the popular or rarer ones).
    - Failure rate has been unbearable. Repairs are expensive and not guaranteed.
    - The space requirements are ridiculous.

+ Perfect for limited play time. You can finish or practice a game for 30mins.
    + Original Hardware, no ports here!
    + Probably be rich if I sell them in 5 years. #retroGamingDwarf

Comment

I'm a big fan of boxart as much as, if not more than in some cases, the actual game.
      Instead of buying expensive games I wouldn't realistically play, I've bought a couple of boxart books.

I don't look at those very often either, so I think I made the right choice.
      There's just not enough time for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        I think this is in some people's character, though.
        You stop collecting games and somehow end up collecting Fabergé Eggs or first pressings of T'Pau records.

Has anyone swapped one collection addiction for another?
        For sure, one obsession replaces another for some.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
          I think this happened to me. Moved away from consoles and got into PCBs.

Not the smartest move.

- Getting more expensive than current retro console prices (AES cart territory on the popular or rarer ones).
          - Failure rate has been unbearable. Repairs are expensive and not guaranteed.
          - The space requirements are ridiculous.

+ Perfect for limited play time. You can finish or practice a game for 30mins.
          + Original Hardware, no ports here!
          + Probably be rich if I sell them in 5 years. #retroGamingDwarf
          It's what makes you happy pal, nowt wrong on that..

Comment

Sounds like you need to work on your soldering Zaki...

Comment

I've gone through waves of owning plenty then less over the years and a few years ago cleared it all - frankly never regretted it and if anything it boosted my interest in gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by boxhead View Post
                So, I’ve been collecting games for about 25 years. I’ve never really sold anything and I probably have close to 1000 titles (generally the cream of the crop across every system since the snes.

The thing is, I’m starting to feel a bit fatigued by it all. What’s the point in having all these games when I literally feel worn out just looking at them? The thought of finding the system, plugging it in and working out a game I want to play is just too much so I don’t bother.

Its such a huge part of my past that I don’t know how I feel about throwing it all on eBay. I’m not sure if it’s a slump I’m in or if having all these games is actually a negative thing?

I Wondered if anyone here had sold off their collections and how did it make you feel? Did it allow you to enjoy gaming more?

Cheers,

Luke

You should take an extensive break, put everything out of sight in storage somehow and wait a while.

At least that's what I did and ever since then, my enthusiasm is bigger than ever. Soooo glad I didn't sell a single thing.

But that's just me. Most other people seem to be glad to be out of physical game "collecting", or owning....and I gotta admit, it makes me question my dedication to doing that myself these days more and more. I'm not a rich person so I can't buy whatever I want....therefore I'm hesitant to even call my shelves with games a real collection. But while I'm really happy to have, to look at and to play them, pretty much everyone seems to be abandoning ship. Not only on here but in my real life circle of friends as well.

Kids come into our lives, priorities change...but damn, I don't wanna be missing my stuff. So please consider that as well before doing anything rash.

Comment

I focused on my favourite core systems (Super Famicom and PC Engine) and cut down my collection on some other systems which aren’t quite my favourite (Mega Drive). Anything else I sold on (NGPC and games, N64, and a PAL Saturn which I ever was going to get round to modding or buying games for). Works quite well. There’s some systems I’d like to collect if I had more £££ and it was practical (PC Engine CD, Japanese Saturn, an AV Famicom), but concede that I most likely probably won’t.

I own one current-gen system.

Comment

I’m tempted to be rid of all mine also. Selling/buying a new house and just don’t want the clutter anymore, plus the time to play isn’t there. I’m sure others could appreciate it more than me at this point.

Comment

Comment

OP, are they games you've bought to collect, or just bought to play over the years?

I've got a fairly middling sort of collection, not that big really but spread over lots of systems. Apart from my NGPC stuff, bought on a trip to Japan 10 years ago, I've never bought to collect but just sort of amassed it all.

It's kind of my history and I'd miss it if it was gone. But if I'd bought in bulk with the explicit intention of building an epic collection, I can definitely see how it would become oppressive. The EBay chase becomes more the pastime than the playing of the games, which ultimately leads to frustration.

Maybe you should just thin your collection to the stuff that really has at least sentimental value. I don't actually ever play Cotton on NGPC, but I like having it because I remember the excitement of finding it in a shop in Denden Town in Osaka!
                        [MENTION=7878]replicashooter[/MENTION] yes, definitely. If you want to play something rare that hasn't had a rerelease to modern systems, it's the way to go. If you're spending hundreds on a single game 'to play', you're kidding yourself really - if you were that desperate to simply play it you'd download it onto an emulator or modded hardware/Everdrive.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                          Sounds like you need to work on your soldering Zaki...
                          Nah! I need to win the lottery and employ you full time

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
                            Nah! I need to win the lottery and employ you full time
                            Sounds like a pretty sweet gig. lol

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                              Sounds like a pretty sweet gig. lol
                              As long as you're still available to freelance on my occasional project!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                                As long as you're still available to freelance on my occasional project!!!
                                He's available to all blues! reds get the extra special service.

Comment

Working...
                                X