Advice from people who have sold their collections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
    He's available to all blues! reds get the extra special service.
    I daren't ask what that means!

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
      Ditching modern stuff has made me happiest quite honestly, I think there's a degree of me being completely bored of gaming that makes me more fond of the past. Like, I'd much rather explore what has been than what is coming. It's quite easy when you don't own a television (as in, I don't need anything to provide content to a TV). I still have my average PC and a pretty extensive library on Steam but that doesn't consume space or get in the way.
      Same for me really - apart from the odd title, modern gaming just isn't interesting for me. Most titles require too much time and attention, I can't be arsed with collect-a-thons or multiple side quests etc that seem to be prevalent in most games now. I thought I was done with gaming initially, but last year I bought a PS1 that was going for a cheap price and have been obtaining and replaying the games I had years ago, along with some that I missed. Really enjoying it.

I had sold all my retro stuff some time back, large chunks of it on this forum actually - Dreamcast, SNES, Gamecube and so on. Looking at the prices stuff goes for now I do cringe at how much I sold it all for back then, however I needed the money at the time and it wasn't being used so hey ho. I'll just stick with the PS1 stuff and the occasional Steam title.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        OP, are they games you've bought to collect, or just bought to play over the years?

I've got a fairly middling sort of collection, not that big really but spread over lots of systems. Apart from my NGPC stuff, bought on a trip to Japan 10 years ago, I've never bought to collect but just sort of amassed it all.

It's kind of my history and I'd miss it if it was gone. But if I'd bought in bulk with the explicit intention of building an epic collection, I can definitely see how it would become oppressive. The EBay chase becomes more the pastime than the playing of the games, which ultimately leads to frustration.

Maybe you should just thin your collection to the stuff that really has at least sentimental value. I don't actually ever play Cotton on NGPC, but I like having it because I remember the excitement of finding it in a shop in Denden Town in Osaka!
        [MENTION=7878]replicashooter[/MENTION] yes, definitely. If you want to play something rare that hasn't had a rerelease to modern systems, it's the way to go. If you're spending hundreds on a single game 'to play', you're kidding yourself really - if you were that desperate to simply play it you'd download it onto an emulator or modded hardware/Everdrive.
        Yeah, it’s not that I had the intention to collect games, it just turned out that way. I never wanted full collections or anything like that. It’s just when a really good game comes out and you think you need to own it so you buy it but then you never actually play it.

I have still sealed N64 games that I never got around to playing.

My main loves were the GameCube and Dreamcast so I have about 80 games each on those systems. It’s like you said - it’s my history and I’ve always read reviews and had pretty good taste in the titles I purchased so by default it’s ended up as a really good collection... it’s just that I’m wondering what the point of it is?

Once a year I might crank up an old system, play it for a bit then forget about it for another year. Realistically, how many more times in my life will I switch my Wii on and play a Wii game? 2? 3?
        Last edited by boxhead; 04-06-2018, 18:37.

Comment

I think you probably have answered your own question.......

Comment

I'm getting so bored with modern gaming ,as others have said the games seem so time consuming and lifeless.

I get most joy from retro and really like collecting for Japanese DC , Saturn and PS2.

If anything I regret what I've sold and I'm starting to buy it all back.

As for playing games I mainly play my Groovymame set up and soon will be getting back into my Japanese 360 for all those lovely Shmups as my TATE Astro is almost ready.
            Last edited by trev1976; 04-06-2018, 21:12.

Comment

Originally posted by boxhead View Post
              Yeah, it’s not that I had the intention to collect games, it just turned out that way. I never wanted full collections or anything like that. It’s just when a really good game comes out and you think you need to own it so you buy it but then you never actually play it.

I have still sealed N64 games that I never got around to playing.

My main loves were the GameCube and Dreamcast so I have about 80 games each on those systems. It’s like you said - it’s my history and I’ve always read reviews and had pretty good taste in the titles I purchased so by default it’s ended up as a really good collection... it’s just that I’m wondering what the point of it is?

Once a year I might crank up an old system, play it for a bit then forget about it for another year. Realistically, how many more times in my life will I switch my Wii on and play a Wii game? 2? 3?
              Sounds like you need to strip it back. If you've got stuff you bought in 98 and still haven't played, you're probably not going to play it. And besides, it sounds like a lot of it is mint/sealed, meaning you're probably sitting on a nice nest egg.

Definitely worth considering what you'll regret selling though.

Comment

It felt like a ton of weight had been lifted from my shoulders (and transferred into my PayPal account) when I sold everything off.... coming to the logical conclusion that there’s only so many hours in the day, of which very few are free for personal entertainment. I can’t sit there all evening playing video games either now, I need to take a break and do something else...

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                Has anyone swapped one collection addiction for another?
                I wouldn’t call it an addiction, more just another hobby... but I have been buying a fair few Gundam model kits recently. I’ve always enjoyed building things, hence the ridiculous amount of Lego, and Gunpla are just awesome looking and very relaxing for me to construct. Because who doesn’t love giant Japanese robots that are covered in weapons...

I’m also very dubious of bit-rot destroying CD based media and taking some potential very expensive titles with it... another thing I no longer have to worry about. The Dreamcast and Super Grafx both have solutions that no longer require physical media but even then I haven’t just gone and plonked the entire Goodsets on there. The DC’s USB drive contains just the shmups, fighters... and Jet Set Radio. I went through the PCE Software Bible just adding the shmups, platformers and other well reviewed action games to the SD card. I’m now going through those and deleting the games I don’t like.

The Neo•Geo is a funny one... the NeoSD has meant I’ve been playing on the system a lot more and playing a lot of games I wouldn’t ordinarily have had access to. However, although it is a lot more convenient, the lack of having to change those mighty cartridges over takes something away from it all. It’s also potentially made my 30 Home Carts obsolete, which is something I’d rather not happen. I feel that some ROM curation may be required here too.

Although saying that, I have KoF ‘98 UMH on PGM2, and I think I’ve located an ‘02 UM on Y2 hardware. I am considering getting rid of ‘98 through to ‘02 on AES and just keeping ‘03. These are the only three I play anyway and selling five AES games will free up some more funds.

Comment

I've always had more games than I've had time to play them, but not necessarily "a collection". My opinion has always been that if you don't need the money or the space, then keep it. These days (with kids) I don't have the luxury of being able to have everything set-up, or even in the house. But I keep a little 14" CRT monitor in the cupboard alongside one retro console with a handful of games. I can easily get it out for a couple of hours when the kids are in bed, and when I get bored of said console, it goes back into the garage and a different one comes out. Another thing I have noticed as I get older is that I care less for mediocre stuff or games from genres I'm just not into, despite how well regarded they may be. I'm also far less likely to wade through a game full of Japanese text these days. Time is too precious. Anything that's not floating my boat gets listed for sale rather than just put back in the collection so you don't waste time on it again.

TLR
                  Box it all up and keep it out of site/reach.
                  Have one console out at a time.
                  Play only what you enjoy.
                  Sell the rest unless it has sentimental value.

Comment

Haven't really read the thread but will do so later - i almost overnight many years back decided to get rid of everything. Had boxes and boxes of games (mostly unplayed) on the shelves and like Colin hated the clutter, but moreso thought what's the point. If i just want to look at boxes of games i could go to a shop to do that.

Haven't regretted it one bit. Game X is out there, why do i need to have it?

Comment

I love old games but hate to hoard stuff. Based on this I have bought and sold and bought again over the years. And then sold it all again. I also have a slightly irrational fear of old hardware eventually breaking down and being worthless/useless. The only non-current bits and bobs I have now is my 360/Cave stuff. That's it. And I don't even get time to play that.

I still get the odd pang to play something old but it soon passes (or I can maybe access it on a current gen console).

No regrets about travelling light. It feels good.

Comment

Collecting is for nerds, especially collecting video games when you are a grown man. Nobody cares if you have X game sitting unplayed on a dusty shelf. Literally nobody apart from the teenage version of you when that game was new, who no longer exists.

When you actually think about how idiotic it is to buy a game that you have no intention to play, you'll start to realise that you've wasted a hell of a lot of time and effort.

Take a reality check, then sell it all off and buy something for grown ups like a really nice holiday for your wife and children.
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Lot of people in here gonna read the above and be like:

On the other side of the screen

Comment

And another thing. You people who buy every single new game that comes out and only play them for five minutes before trading them in to play the next new game for five minutes ad infinitum. You are even bigger nerds.
                            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

*wistfully hands J0e the “How to make enemies and alienate people” award*

Comment

Some of the posts I read on here genuinely amaze me. It seems some people are caught up in a nerdstrom of infantile destruction. For instance: "WTB <insert 50 odd games here>". Really? You want to buy 50 odd games? How do you intend to play all of these games unless you are the owner of zero social life, any form of employment and a time machine?

I mean if that's what gets you off then go you NerdMaster 4000, but for me that's not what life is about.

I do find it highly entertaining seeing people's photos of gargantuan collections, which makes their living spaces look like they are a GAME franchisee. You've got people out here with more silicon than Pamela Anderson.
                                Last edited by J0e Musashi; 08-06-2018, 08:58.
                                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X