Dreamcast: Is this a 3.3v machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreamcast: Is this a 3.3v machine?

After a bit of research, I think this is probably a 3.3v Dreamcast that is compatible with the GDEMU. But before I buy it, I thought it best to check on here and see if anyone knows?

I want a Japanese machine to make sure there aren't any problems with games running at 60Hz. I have a launch JP Dreamcast that isn't compatible with the GDEMU, so I need another one for that purpose.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 11-06-2018, 04:42.

Will post back later but there is usually a 0, 1 or 2 on the back that I don't see there.

Comment

I recently had all three models of NTSC-J DC pass through my hands and noticed that none of them had the little 0, 1 or 2 (maybe that’s a EURO and NTSC-U thing)

Anyway, not sure if this helps you?

Edit - now that I’ve compared, I would say the one you posted could be a VA2 model, which isn’t compatible with GDEMU (or USB-GDROM for that matter)
      Last edited by mmmonkey; 11-06-2018, 10:32.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
        Will post back later but there is usually a 0, 1 or 2 on the back that I don't see there.
        Japanese machines don't have those numbers to identify the model. I wish they did.

Originally posted by mmmonkey View Post

Edit - now that I’ve compared, I would say the one you posted could be a VA2 model, which isn’t compatible with GDEMU (or USB-GDROM for that matter)
        That has definitely put me off buying it. I don't want to take the risk. I will take note of your image and try to hunt down one similar to the VA1 in your pic.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 11-06-2018, 20:43.

Comment

It's been ages since I last saw one in the flesh, but that looks like a 100V Dreamcast to me.

Comment

Not sure if this is any help - http://dreamcastgaga.blogspot.com/20...ptability.html

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
              Some great info there! I spent ages scouring to find that serial number info and failed.

Judging by that then, I’d say the console originally photographed would have a 3.3v Drive in it. It’s the same year of manufacture as the VA1 in my photo.

[MENTION=2625]randombs[/MENTION] - we’re talking about what volts the optical drive runs at. Early model D.C. console drives ran at 5V and aren’t compatible with one of the popular drive replacent products

Comment

Is the voltage the only issue?

Comment

I think so, the site says it will work in a VA0 machine but it will eventually damage the ODE. So I guess that could be taken to mean it’s pin compatible and it’s just the voltage that’s just the difference. So I guess it could be modded with a voltage divider or regulator down to 3.3v.

I’ve not seen anyone try it (but then I haven’t looked). Maybe people are scared to try it as they waited so long to get the gdemu!!

I guess it sells so well (and he’s moved onto developing other things) that the creator hasn’t made it compatible himself. Shame, as he caters for all Saturn consoles.

Comment

Working...
                  X