Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

4 times better than the original machine or the current one but for now still 90 times worse than the 360.

It's E3 and whilst nothing is on show MS are actually talking about the successor to the XBO.

During Microsoft's E3 2018 media briefing, Xbox boss Phil Spencer announced work had begun on "the next Xbox consoles".…

Interestingly, out the gate, Phil Spencer refers to the next gen successor in plurals - possibly a hint at launching with multiple models from the off?

He also moved to Sony's position of being more optimistic about physical consoles sticking around which is one in the eye of cloud gaming. He continues to suggest backwards compatibility will carry over but also talks in a very GAAS reliant way too.
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 03-07-2020, 09:18.

Microsoft has confirmed that they are working on a next-gen console and a new game streaming service to bring console games to any screen.

Also project name is Scarlet, presumably not in honour of the 360's fabled Red Ring of Death

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post

He also moved to Sony's position of being more optimistic about physical consoles sticking around which is one in the eye of cloud gaming. He continues to suggest backwards compatibility will carry over but also talks in a very GAAS reliant way too.
      Yeah, but they're going down the cloud streaming service route too:
      The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

Comment

That's why I view their comments cynically like the GAAS ones. You have successes like Minecraft etc that carry over between gens but it's been shown that the userbases are highly critical and that you can't plan for those games. They're exemptions from the rule of sequels, not the future of gaming and MS needs to be careful in the games it now commissions not to go too far and think they can spit out one Halo and not have to make another all gen via microtransactions etc. If they think players playing their games over years and years is the way forward across the board...

Comment

E3 2018: Microsoft's gaming chiefs on the future of Xbox - The company is investing in studios in attempt to win over next generation of gamers.

Taken from ResetEra.

Phil Spencer is frank about the reasons for this relatively sluggish performance. “We launched a box that was underpowered compared to the Playstation, and more expensive because of the inclusion of [motion-sensing camera] Kinect in every box,” he says. “Underpowered and overpriced was … not the right model for us. We had shipped some of our franchises too frequently, which had made them lose some of the anticipation that’s important in the entertainment industry. Our studios had lost leaders, which meant they were the studio that they had been before in name rather than in function.”

Microsoft’s recent investment in game studios is the start of remedying situation, enabling Xbox to take more creative risks, says Phil.
          Not sure about this one response though.

“The biggest challenge I feel now is gamers’ desire to continue to divide our industry,” says Spencer. “The mentality is that somebody must fail in order for someone else to succeed … we all want to think about how we grow the gaming business, to not create arbitrary decisions on what console you buy or what network you join. The more we work together as an industry, better things happen. You have an Android and I have an iPhone; I can still call you. That would be my hope: that we still compete, but we compete on creative and quality.”

Comment

Half arsed attempt to get back in the game by buying up studios; they should have gone the whole hog, bought Playstation division off Sony and just renamed it Xbox :-)

Comment

They just need to have a proper long term strategy. The buyouts are an improvement but they'll still be waiting to that to potentially pay off the generation after the next one, Sony's First Party output success didn't happen overnight and neither will MS's.

I wonder what all this means for the largely stagnant Rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                Half arsed attempt to get back in the game by buying up studios; they should have gone the whole hog, bought Playstation division off Sony and just renamed it Xbox :-)
                Buying up a a business is surely going to save several years or planning , let alone recruitment and all the other nonsense that would no doubt making setting up a cold start really tough. They've already done that twice for 343i and the Coalition, there was a 5 year gap between 343i being set up and their first game and a 4 year gap for the coalition.

What do most of these studios have in common (apart from having been closed down)
                Naughty Dog, Evolution , Psygnosis, Zipper Interactive, Guerilla games, Bend, Media Molecule?

All purchased by Sony to make games for Sony.
                It's not unusual.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  They just need to have a proper long term strategy. The buyouts are an improvement but they'll still be waiting to that to potentially pay off the generation after the next one, Sony's First Party output success didn't happen overnight and neither will MS's.

I wonder what all this means for the largely stagnant Rare.
                  I think looking at both of the big boys and seeing their output is really stacked for 2019, I think this is a signal for the gen ending.
                  They've not revealed anything beyond what we already knew about, so they are clearly holding things back now for next gen.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                    Buying up a a business is surely going to save several years or planning , let alone recruitment and all the other nonsense that would no doubt making setting up a cold start really tough. They've already done that twice for 343i and the Coalition, there was a 5 year gap between 343i being set up and their first game and a 4 year gap for the coalition.

What do most of these studios have in common (apart from having been closed down)
                    Naughty Dog, Evolution , Psygnosis, Zipper Interactive, Guerilla games, Bend, Media Molecule?

All purchased by Sony to make games for Sony.
                    It's not unusual.
                    It was a joke, hence the smiley

Comment

My brain doesn't register ASCII smilies anymore, it's all about the Emoji

Comment

It looks like your Avatar is getting into the Carlton groove

Ultimately it's good and key that MS tries on the software front after such a soft gen this time around. The XBX might be the top end machine but it's incredibly likely that there'll be next to nothing between PS5 and XB4 powerwise making momentum and software everything. If either suspects as much then I guess hoarding software for the first year of the next machines life is what we're headed towards.

Unless Sony makes another stupendous error with the PS5 launch they'll walk away as the 'winner' next gen too which I imagine is why MS is already making talk about people needing to stop looking at things that way as they know they're aiming to improve their lot, not topple Sony. Presumably the plan is to have a dry E3 2019 largely carried by Gears 5, Halo Infinity and Forza 8 then focus on the Xbox 4 launch the following year then deliver the full benefits of the investments now in 2021 when the new system really needs to show its strengths against Sony.

Comment

Wasn't it the wrong gif. Shouldn't it have been more like this...

But on a more serious note, absolutely there are signals all over the place that attention is/will be shifting to the new machines.

Comment

Microsoft should bring consoles out on an annual basis.

Comment

They could do, they seem to be bringing out the games on that basis already!

Comment

Working...
                              X