No announcement yet.

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alone else having problems signing in at the moment? I keep getting an, “our service isn’t working properly at the moment” message.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos G View Post
      Alone else having problems signing in at the moment? I keep getting an, “our service isn’t working properly at the moment” message.
      Nevermind. Hard reset fixed it.

Comment

I went on my Xbox One last night and the dash has updated to show the "Games With Gold" again.
        It's not "ALWAYS" there, but at least it's accessible again.

I think the One menus are a maze, but run pretty quick, but the PS4 occasionally hangs for me.
        I'm not that bothered what a friend is playing, just thought I'd look, seeing as you showed me a pop-up to tell me. Why are you thinking about showing me then give me a network error.

This happened with Netflix the other day and wondered, whilst the PS4 pondered about opening the app, if the One would be quicker. I had to genuinely stop and think how I would get to it when I was on my One.

On PS4, I'd go into the media tab and they'd all be there.
        On 360, I'd go to the media tab and they'd all be there.

On One, I had to go to home > all apps and games > apps.
        In there was a load of Warner Bros icons like the Tazmanian Devil, but no Netflix, so I downloaded it.

Last night, I listened to [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION] and [MENTION=313]djtickle[/MENTION] and I then went back to that menu and pinned all the media apps and unpinned the stuff I never use.

It's a shame You have to customise the dash so much to make it usable, but at least you can.
        It just feels like the default dash is styled to make it a collection of adverts, rather than a user-friendly front-end to what you already have.

I feel the same way about Windows 10 after Windows 7, which seems to be awkward to navigate and is full of adverts like "Bubble Witch Saga 3" on Windows 10 "Professional", but that's a different story. It just feels like Microsoft had shifted its whole business model.

I loved the 360 and was gutted at the awful start the One had.
        I like what they're doing now and would love to phase out my 360, but there's still loads of games not on the BC list.
        I want to love the One, but it always feels so clunky to use, especially in comparison to the 360.

Comment

Yeah, you need to organise things and keep them organised I’ve found. When I install a new game I file it in my ‘games’ and then pin it to the home screen. I also have an ‘apps’ folder with Netflix, YouTube, iPlayer and Spotify.

Weird how you have to do that really. Once you’ve done it it’s OK though.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            I went on my Xbox One last night and the dash has updated to show the "Games With Gold" again.
            It's not "ALWAYS" there, but at least it's accessible again.

I think the One menus are a maze, but run pretty quick, but the PS4 occasionally hangs for me.
            I'm not that bothered what a friend is playing, just thought I'd look, seeing as you showed me a pop-up to tell me. Why are you thinking about showing me then give me a network error.

This happened with Netflix the other day and wondered, whilst the PS4 pondered about opening the app, if the One would be quicker. I had to genuinely stop and think how I would get to it when I was on my One.

On PS4, I'd go into the media tab and they'd all be there.
            On 360, I'd go to the media tab and they'd all be there.

On One, I had to go to home > all apps and games > apps.
            In there was a load of Warner Bros icons like the Tazmanian Devil, but no Netflix, so I downloaded it.

Last night, I listened to [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION] and [MENTION=313]djtickle[/MENTION] and I then went back to that menu and pinned all the media apps and unpinned the stuff I never use.

It's a shame You have to customise the dash so much to make it usable, but at least you can.
            It just feels like the default dash is styled to make it a collection of adverts, rather than a user-friendly front-end to what you already have.

I feel the same way about Windows 10 after Windows 7, which seems to be awkward to navigate and is full of adverts like "Bubble Witch Saga 3" on Windows 10 "Professional", but that's a different story. It just feels like Microsoft had shifted its whole business model.

I loved the 360 and was gutted at the awful start the One had.
            I like what they're doing now and would love to phase out my 360, but there's still loads of games not on the BC list.
            I want to love the One, but it always feels so clunky to use, especially in comparison to the 360.

Some other tips for getting around

Press Y on almost any screen on the dashboard, this brings up the search.
            If you are struggling to remember if you have an app or can't remember where you've put it...
            Type netflix and it will search your own xbox and the store you can then boot or download it from here
            Basically the same as the start menu on Windows 7/8/10

Xbox App
            You can create and rearrange all your pins from here, boot apps from here, or access the same search from here and trigger it to boot on the console.

Digital Assistant
            The console still has cortana and the standard voice recognition from day 1 , if you have a mic or kinect plugged in. Failing that, the console now has voice assistant integration, so if you have an Amazon Alexa (or if you have the alexa app on your smartphone) you can also make commands to your xbox via that.

Comment

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella just laid out the company's vision for its 'Netflix for games'

Comment

It will be interesting if Microsoft launch a streaming puck alongside the proper next box next year. I could be in for that tbh, to go alongside a PS5. I’m fortunate in that while I endured unreliable 2mb internet for many years, Community Fibre are installing FTTH in my street in the next few months. I’ll be able to get up to 1gbps, which puts me in a position where I should be able to comfortably explore these services at their best.

I think we’re going to see a real glut of them in the near term, then it’ll settle down into a few key players. We know about Google and MS, PS Now moving to support contemporary games seems a given, and Amazon and Netflix offerings seem inevitable too.

The problem for the non gaming firms will of course be exclusive content which is a genuine draw. It’s not impossible for them to do it, but even with buckets of cash it’s hard to create an Uncharted or Halo level franchise.

On the other hand, what works in their favour is that the cost of entry will be incredibly low. Just get a free 1 month trial right through the interface of your smart TV.

Just thinking aloud, but cross-hardware reach for these services will be critical. The xCloud can’t only run on Xbox’s - not when Amazon Gaming and GamesFlix will be available across every phone, every tablet, every streaming box, every smart TV eventually. I predict lots of TVs with built in streaming games platform support at CES 2021.

Comment

I like how the article puts words in Microsoft’s mouth. Ms say they could be as good as anyone else, article interprets that as Microsoft have the best chance of anyone. Ms quite humble about their plans tbh. I don’t think it’s for me anyway. Giving me even more things to play isn’t what I need. I already have paralysis trying to choose what to power up as it is! Think I’ll sell my switch actually.

Comment

Yah the article is meh. The humble announcement is very ‘Nadella era’ MS.

And Brad, we all know that’s nonsense. Fully expect you to cave at some point on one no matter how many consoles you have

Comment

I just picked up the Xbox Game Pass off CDKeys, 12 months for £48. Even though I already own most of the flagship games included like Forza Horizon 4, Gears 4 etc... It's the prospect off automatically getting Crackdown 3, Gears 5 and hopefully Halo Infinite... As a side benefit I've just installed about 20 games I want to play once, ranging from newer titles like Strange Brigade and Vermintide 2, to older titles I missed like Braid etc...

All things considered, at that price, I've already gotten value for money. It'll be interesting to see what value MS adds to the service in 2019.

Comment

Game Pass remains such an odd one. Well delivered and good consumer value but I still doubt its sustainability if they plan for it to be a core aspect of the Xbox future. Driving attention to a system that has underperformed to an extent etc is one thing but I think there's good reason Sony hasn't been quick to cash in on the idea.

Comment

Yeah I do wonder about it's profitability but in the meantime as a consumer I see little reason not to try it. So far I'm enjoying it but obviously it's only as good as its content so eager to see what games they'll add each month.

Comment

Netflix only continues to exist because it has unique content. Spotify still isn't making decent money. Soundcloud isn't making a profit.

Comment

That's exactly the problem, MS are clearly looking at the content but the games market doesn't stack like film and TV. Most likely is a limit of some sort to the service and eventually quite the price hike but for now and likely the next several years it's a steal

Comment

I guess we will see how the content pans out with all these new studios MS has purchased plus the smaller indie Devs that seem to contribute to the back catalogue. I've also just noticed ninja gaiden black is on there which I had on disc ages ago and never finished, so great to see some stellar backwards compatible titles in the mix.

It may all fall under it's own weight and the new xcloud venture might fizzle before it even begins as well, but I agree right now the value prospect if you can snag a cheap deal is fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                                X