No announcement yet.

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me the biggest disappointment of VR was that it became an proprietary accessory or 'eco-system' rather than an open standard. In my ignorance I'd always hoped VR headsets could be like displays where you buy an HD, 4K one etc. and plug it into the device in question.

Although I think the Oculus Quest has gone down a more interesting path of self contained, standalone but can use a cable for PCVR connectivity. Still expensive though and heavily sells you to buy into another competing platform (Oculus's Storefront).

Comment

I don't think the question with VR is whether it will be take over from TV/monitor gaming and be the sole 'future of gaming', it's whether it can maintain enough popularity to justify sufficient investment to continue existing as a parallel way of interacting with games.

I'd like to think it could, as I think it's a really cool technology.

Comment

As I said, I think the one thing that sets it aside from other tech like 3D TV, is that other industries use it. From Wren kitchen making a VR kitchen for you to look at, to the Fire Service training staff. It shows that the tech is flexible and in doing so it starts to enter in to the public conscious as 'regular tech' you see everyday. In some way its a bit like Drones. Not everyone owns a drone, but people are aware of drones and what they are and what they do and as such people are more likely to buy drones.
        is it going to become a mass market tech like a smart phone or a TV? No. But we could see larger use bases if we see game and film makers creating content or conversions of existing content to VR.

Edit: Just seen this - https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-index...alf-life-alyx/
        Last edited by Cassius_Smoke; 28-11-2019, 12:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          I'm glad I owned the system, as it introduced me to what the new era of 32-bit consoles was going to bring to the table. Then the PlayStation and Saturn took things to another level. A lot of people compare the 3DO to later 32-bit machines and say it's rubbish, but it was decent tech for 1993. It's just a sad fact that by 1995 the tech fell short next to newer machines.

I'm just talking about how significant a piece of hardware and its best games are. I think lots of people will look back at PSVR and games like Astro Bot with fond memories of how groundbreaking it was. I don't think the Mega CD had the same sort of impact on many people back in the day. Of course, you're saying that MCD Batman Returns was a "wow" moment in your gaming life, similar to how you felt about Astro Bot. I just think that Astro Bot will go down in the history books as a far more significant game than Batman Returns, even if the Batman driving sections were impressive.
          I love my 3DO but many people will say it was rubbish and had no good games . I got mine on import and it was so amazing to see a game like Crash N Burn running in your house in 93.

I think with VR it's not just prixe, but also the interface that is a barrier for many . Hopefully one day it all be shrinked down to a pair of shades in a few years time

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
            the interface that is a barrier for many . Hopefully one day it all be shrinked down to a pair of shades in a few years time
            Yeah, I love PSVR but I rarely use it due to the perceived hassle of getting it out of its case and plugging it in Just laziness. But it's there. If it was smaller and wireless it'd be a different matter.

Comment

This ^^^^

Plus isolating yourself when others are in n the house doesn’t feel right.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                This ^^^^

Plus isolating yourself when others are in n the house doesn’t feel right.
                Still waiting to clear Arizona of zombz with you, Full Spec...

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  Still waiting to clear Arizona of zombz with you, Full Spec...
                  Oh yeah! I reckon over Xmas.

Comment

Microsoft is reportedly planning to launch not one but two next-generation Xbox consoles with The Verge seemingly confirming rumors of a second, cheaper, disc-less console also coming alongside the previously announced Project Scarlett. Microsoft is apparently using the codename ‘Lockhart’ for this less-powered digital download only console and ‘Anaconda’ for the main Project Scarlett console […]

Speculation that MS is still planning to launch 2 SKU's, the second being an Xbox 4: All-Digital Edition for a lower price

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      All-Digital Edition for a lower price
                      I bet that loads of people bought the £99 'all-digital' Xbox One S in the Black Friday sales -- and then found out it can't play discs. Must have really annoyed lots of people who thought they were getting a bargan Xbox One for a friend or family member, only to realise they can't use cheap, second hand disc games.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                        I bet that loads of people bought the £99 'all-digital' Xbox One S in the Black Friday sales -- and then found out it can't play discs. Must have really annoyed lots of people who thought they were getting a bargan Xbox One for a friend or family member, only to realise they can't use cheap, second hand disc games.
                        I dunno man, for me this is a oft-repeated myth. The warning message takes up 30% of the front of the box if you include the different languages, and you can't get the box open without removing a warning sticker. Either way, most people don't mind digital only, especially not for Xbox One due to Game Pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                          I dunno man, for me this is a oft-repeated myth. The warning message takes up 30% of the front of the box if you include the different languages, and you can't get the box open without removing a warning sticker. Either way, most people don't mind digital only, especially not for Xbox One due to Game Pass.
                          Game pass and sales make Digital downloads very accessible and reasonably cheep. It pretty much my main way of getting games. But trading and buying preowned still remains the cheepest way to get games, and a poor family would definitely want to take advantage of that. Buying this console removes that option for them and the lower price tag might catch some out.

Comment

There will deffo have been some people caught out I reckon. It’s inevitable since a discless console is so unusual.

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                              especially not for Xbox One due to Game Pass.
                              Yeah, at least you get a few games with the digital-only version, and maybe lots of buyers are aware of Game Pass and how good a service it is.

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                              Buying this console removes that option for them and the lower price tag might catch some out.
                              Yeah, I think it's probably people on low incomes who would jump at an Xbox One S for £99. Then they might be shocked to realise they can't borrow discs or buy them second hand. I really think it will end up upsetting some people.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              It’s inevitable since a discless console is so unusual.
                              Yeah. I think a lot of people will buy one not understanding what 'digital-only' means until they realise there's no disc drive. Maybe they'll contact MS and will be told that Game Pass is a good option, so they might end up being happy with that. But I think a lot of the £99 machines will be returned.

Comment

Also, does xbox need 3 different types of the same console? I think having a Pro/X can be confusing for some.

Comment

Working...
                                X