No announcement yet.

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was one key takeaway from the recent PlayStation 5 games reveal, beyond how good the key titles looked - and that…

Eurogamer's article on why 30fps is here to stay

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      Eurogamer's article on why 30fps is here to stay
      The article gave the impression that most devs will be delivering 60fps, but a few might still opt for 30fps. So people who appreciate 60fps should feel confident that most next gen console games will run at that frame rate, even if the resolution takes a hit.

I've noticed more and more awareness of the benefits of 60fps over recent years, so I think it's very much an expectation for many gamers. I really hope that most devs embrace 60fps and it ends up becoming the norm.

Comment

Good article. To be honest I expect it to be exactly the same as this gen. Most games around 30, a few games around 60, some games offering a choice of performance or detail.

I’m fine with it. 60 is better but I’d like to see some better graphics rather than stuff that looks mostly the same but at a doubled frame rate. For people that must have high frame rates, PC is always an option.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          some games offering a choice of performance or detail.
          I really hope that 60fps is always an option for people who don't use 4K.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          I’m fine with it. 60 is better but I’d like to see some better graphics rather than stuff that looks mostly the same but at a doubled frame rate. For people that must have high frame rates, PC is always an option.
          I think the high realism of modern graphics really needs 60fps to make the most of it. Game worlds look more solid and gameplay feels better.

30fps has always been far from ideal, but most devs felt that prettier graphics over frame rate was best. But the performace of the next gen consoles should at least allow for 60fps in 1080p or 1440p.

If we do end up with lots of 30fps-only games, I will probably end up forgetting about consoles and buying a decent PC for gaming.

Comment

I think the thing is that it’s not just about resolution. Developers are going to be baking in effects that will be soaking up a lot of processing power too. Even for those with 4K TVs, I wouldn’t be surprised if not every game hits that resolution consistently. I don’t think a 1080/60 option will be a thing in most games.

I totally agree that 60fps is always better. But as you point out, PC is always an option if that’s your top priority. You have so much more flexibility that way.

Comment

Will be interesting to see what Xbox One games get Series X patches. Games with a scaling resolution and unlocked FPS will run boosted on Series X without the devs needing to revisit the game.

Gears 5 is getting a Series X patch to add ray-traced screen space global illumination, ultra graphics settings from PC and a 60fps bump to the in game cut scenes, I’m sure other titles on Xbox One that have X versions will end up with some sort of Series X enhancements.
              I would bet on Sea of Thieves and Forza Horizon 4 getting Series X enhancements.

Comment

I'd like for there to be locked 60fps and 30fps options. I have a few games with 30fps locked and 'unlocked' frame rate options but unlocked is just a hot mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                  The article gave the impression that most devs will be delivering 60fps, but a few might still opt for 30fps.
                  Yep. I think most developers will be going for 60 next gen. To give them credit, quite a lot the developers are already running their games at 60 fps. If I'm honest mind, I thought Halo 5 going for 60 fps was a mistake and would have rathred saw 30 fps with the quality graphics of the cut scenes in-game. I would have just liked to have seen the multiplayer be 60 fps

Comment

Its getting to the stage with some of these big games where theres so much going on screen that at 30fps the whole game is such a blurry mess and you can’t take any of it in anyway.

Give me Ratchet remake & halo 5 with good graphics and 60fps any day of the week over janky 4k mode where its all too blurry to see any detail anyway without standing perfectly still in game.

I at least want the option on each game next gen but sadly we wont even get that.
                    Last edited by fishbowlhead; 09-07-2020, 08:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                      If I'm honest mind, I thought Halo 5 going for 60 fps was a mistake and would have rathred saw 30 fps with the quality graphics of the cut scenes in-game. I would have just liked to have seen the multiplayer be 60 fps
                      I've always thought 60fps should become a base standard on consoles, but then 4K came along and made that more difficult. If gaming was still say 1080p or 1440p, 60fps would be the standard next gen. I can see lots of the blockbuster 'epic' sort of games always being 4K 30fps next gen. I'm not so sure we'll even get a lower res 60fps option in games like that.

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                      Its getting to the stage with some of these big games where theres so much going on screen that at 30fps the whole game is such a blurry mess and you can’t take any of it in anyway.

I at least want the option on each game next gen but sadly we wont even get that.
                      Yeah, 60fps increases the realism and boosts clarity. 30fps and under is fine for non-interactive stuff, but gaming is interactive and ideally needs 60fps or more.

Comment

I've always thought 60fps should become a base standard on consoles, but then 4K came along and made that more difficult. If gaming was still say 1080p or 1440p, 60fps would be the standard next gen.
                        4K is awesome mind. It also depends on the game and how well done the 30 fps mode is handled too even for racers. I never had much of an issue with PRG 3 running at 30 fps or DriveClub running at 30 fps. I guess lashings of motion blur helps LOL

Comment

Motion blur definitely doesn’t help. Driveclub is unplayable at the highest speed classes at 30fps, PGR3 was fine but that doesn’t have car classes fast enough where this becomes an issue.

Comment

or DriveClub running at 30 fps.
                            I remember liking DriveClub at first, but after playing GT Sport and Forza Horizon 4 a lot, when I went back to DC the 30fps was really noticeable. It didn't just spoil the feel of the game, but I realised the clarity of the visuals was also affected.

So I really feel that 60fps is essential with modern graphics to add to the sense of realism. It's something I personally see as a 'must-have' now, so I will avoid 30fps-only games from now on. Other people might not be so sensitive to the bad points of 30fps.

You have PC gamers wanting far more than 60fps, so it's not like I'm ultra demanding. I'm happy enough with 60fps.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 09-07-2020, 10:10.

Comment

I remember liking DriveClub at first, but after playing GT Sport and Forza Horizon 4 a lot, when I went back to DC the 30fps was really noticeable. It didn't just spoil the feel of the game, but I realised the clarity of the visuals was also affected.
                              I never had any issue with Drive Club myself and think its a stunning racer with a handling model that's also as good as Rally's . I can't play it in VR mind the screen res is terrible

Comment

I never had any issue with Drive Club myself and think its a stunning racer with a handling model that's also as good as Rally's . I can't play it in VR mind the screen res is terrible
                                Yeah, DriveClub is a fun game with an old school feel about it. I thought it was really good looking when I first got my hands on a PS4.

I've just been spoiled with Forza Horizon 4 and how great it looks and feels running at 60fps. The stunning game world really benefits from how 60fps adds to the realism.

I guess the Series X will allow FH4 to run at 60fps in 4K. That would be a nice upgrade. I definitely want reasons to buy an OLED tv.
                                Last edited by Leon Retro; 10-07-2020, 11:38.

Comment

Working...
                                X