Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    120fps support will be like 3D support on PS3, a mooted feature that flares and burns out in no time at all. We're not getting common 60fps performance let alone above that
    I think it'll be pretty well supported on XSX for backward compatibility titles and specific big games that can spend the time to afford it.

I'm expecting Gears 5, Forza Horizon etc... To all have a 120fps mode. Sea of Thieves? Does it even need it? Nah... But give me 60fps with tonnes of extra graphical touches.

I'd love to see stuff like say Apex Legends hit that 120fps because really twitch shooters would benefit a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
      It basically means it won't be able to produce the full bandwidth experience of 12bit colour (HDR) @ 4K120 which means more than likely they will reduce the colour range (10bit) to compensate for it.

What does that mean? In real terms I've no idea, and from a gaming perspective I doubt you'd notice your HDR reproduction isn't quite top notch when **** is flying past at 120fps...

But people are pissed with LG for even making such a reduction from previous models. If you're going to support a standard and all that.

I don't think it's worth crying about really but it does mean not all TV sets are equal in their support so it pays to keep an eye on reviews etc...

Honestly I think OLED is amazing tech but I'm still weary of it for gaming when I've got kids in the house. They can turn the TV on, my console on and generally leave **** on 24/7 so chances are I'm a house just asking for burn-in issues. So I'm personally steering clear of the tech... Even though it's currently unrivalled.
      The decrease in the HDMI input bandwidth on this years LG OLEDs is a total non issue. The panels are 10bit and there’s no hardware you’ll be connecting to your TV that needs the full 48Gbps for 12 bit per channel. I’m going to buy a LG CX later this year when the price drops to go with whatever new consoles I pick up. 120fps should be a massive improvement for games.

Comment

Yeah amd are doing things like telling you to drop your resolution to 1080p and then they use tricks to bump it back up to 2k or 4K and still hit 240fps for fortnite etc.

Comment

The DLSS tech on nVidia cards is seriously impressive and could be used to render a game at lower resolution then upscale it leaving plenty of resources for higher frame rates. The bottleneck might end up being the CPU not being able to keep up.
          The lower precision maths support in the XsX could be used for DLSS style scaling tech but we haven’t really heard anything from MS about it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
            The decrease in the HDMI input bandwidth on this years LG OLEDs is a total non issue. The panels are 10bit and there’s no hardware you’ll be connecting to your TV that needs the full 48Gbps for 12 bit per channel. I’m going to buy a LG CX later this year when the price drops to go with whatever new consoles I pick up. 120fps should be a massive improvement for games.
            Thanks for this. I knew they'd dropped it for a reason but didn't know the full details. I was pretty sure it was a non issue for gaming but that clears it up.

As for the DLSS tech, I understand Sony may be revealing their own take on this tech for the PS5 which will be interesting.

Comment

Xbox revenue for the year increased by 2% for the full year of 01 July 2019-30 June 2020. Content and Services revenue rose by 11% thanks to subscriptions, Minecraft and Third Party games/ That 11% was hammered back down to 2% though thanks to a chunky 31% drop in Xbox hardware sales revenue.

Comment

Well that drop in hardware isn't a surprise given where we are with the next gen launch imminent.

Comment

The ps4 is still selling strong with the PS5 round the corner. From September to March it went from 100 million to 108 million and in May Sony declared it hit 110 million. No one wants an xbox one and its obvious MS have all but given up on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                    120fps support will be like 3D support on PS3, a mooted feature that flares and burns out in no time at all. We're not getting common 60fps performance let alone above that
                    I guess most indie titles and other light-weight stuff will make the most of it. Minecraft. Like I said earlier in the thread, sports games will benefit especially.

Then remember the eSports stuff like Fortnite, Rocket League, etc. Those get a lot of play time. Once people get a taste for that level of performance they will begin to crave for it in AAA stuff, too. Maybe that will turn out to be a milestone for the next, next generation.

Comment

If BC can take advantage of those higher frame rates then I'll be wanting one. I'd buy a console for 4K/120FPS Perfect Dark without hesitation.

Comment

So I saw an advert for xCloud allowing you to play 100+ games on your Android device (I saw a lovely looking controller add-on too) is this old news? I saw it and thought, as I don't have an Xbox, that looks to be a nice way into playing some of the library. Anyone tried the beta?

EDIT: that controller add-on is called the Razer-Kishi and costs 100 quid.
                        Last edited by hudson; 04-08-2020, 17:49.

Comment

I've got the Razer Kishi... The one shown is a new Xbox one which just swaps the icons on two buttons and adds £20 in cost...

I paid £70 with a £10 off voucher direct from Razer when it released last month. It's a great controller provided your phone fits it as it just plugs in via USB C.

I've also got the Razer Junglecat but whilst it's got a better dpad and more switch like layout it's way too small. The joycons are actually smaller than the Switch which just ruins it for me having big hands.

The most interesting part of the announcement was the PowerA XP7-X which looks more like the Hori Split Pad Pro. That one might actually be a winner but honestly gaming on a phone is passable but they need to come up with something that will fit a tablet 8"-10". That's the sweet spot for this stuff.

The switch gets away with it, just ... But it's screen ratio is an exact 16:9 but phones these days are 21:9 generally an there you're actually gaming on an even smaller screen.

Edit:

Meant to say the best thing about the Kishi is it has actual analog triggers which feel decent and the sticks are spot on as well.

It's easily the best gaming device for a phone I've tried, and yet there is definite room for improvement.

Comment

PowerA controllers shown halfway down the article... Nacon is also making peripherals it seems.

Comment

Have I got this right? Being solely a PlayStation and Switch gamer at the minute, I see this as a decent way to play some nice Xbox titles without buying a console. That seems cool to me. Will it stretch to Series X?

I have an Xbox one controller. Can you get a phone clip for it?

Comment

Yeah you can get a PowerA Moga clip on Amazon for around £15. That's the best one for just piggybacking your phone over the standard controller as it has two hinges to position the weight nicely.

This apparently just hit the insider build: HDR calibration tool built into the dashboard settings.

Comment

Working...
                                X