Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    As always, I love your enthusiasm for current gen TA, but we shouldn't just lap up everything they feed us.
    I love 'all' gaming not just Retro and not just current and I've been around long enough to know that current loading times are nothing to what it took to load a ZX Spectrum game, that most of my Pal Snes games cost me more back in the day, to what games cost now, that I was one of those who wanted the SE games sets that Japan got all the time and remember the old days of add-on to games (what one would call DLC today) and was one who those who bought the expansion packs to the likes of Duke Nukem 3D, Lemmings, GTA. All the endless Street Fighter II games and all the other things people like to bitch about current gaming

Really it's nothing new, its all been done before games really don't cost more either and I most certainly don't lap it up
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 26-06-2018, 10:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Mgear View Post
      [MENTION=3542]We never will likely be in a perfect world.
      Sadly only GOD is perfect

Comment

I know you do, TA!

It's easier to pick holes in modern gaming as it's more fresh in the memory and less biased than rose-tinted memories from happier times.

I think a few of us are getting increasingly jaded with modern microtransaction practices and how they've become commonplace.

Gaming had remained, generally, good value, but we were talking specifically about RDR2 and its higher-than-average price.
        Not only have they taken a load of content out to resell back later or ring-fence into the special editions, but they're making so much money on GTA Online, I'm genuinely worried RDR2 may be the last Rockstar game with a single-player story mode.
        Last edited by QualityChimp; 26-06-2018, 10:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          I love 'all' gaming not just Retro and not just current and I've been around long enough to know that current loading times are nothing to what it took to load a ZX Spectrum game, that most of my Pal Snes games cost me more back in the day, to what games cost now, that I was one of those who wanted the SE games sets that Japan got all the time and remember the old days of add-on to games (what one would call DLC today) and was one who those who bought the expansion packs to the likes of Duke Nukem 3D, Lemmings, GTA. All the endless Street Fighter II games and all the other things people like to bitch about current gaming

Really it's nothing new, its all been done before games really don't cost more either and I most certainly don't lap it up
          I think it's a great time to be a gamer. For example the PC for the past 5/6 years has been having another golden age imo. Kickstarters, Rise of indies, VR, digital distribution, variety of business models etc. And lots of great games on consoles too.

Still doesn't mean there aren't lots of valid complaints though. Complaining or moaning isn't new, but some of the issues being debated are.
          Last edited by Digfox; 26-06-2018, 11:02.

Comment

GOD of War perfect? Let's not start that again

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              I know you do, TA!
              Gaming had remained, generally, good value, but we were talking specifically about RDR2 and its higher-than-average price.
              Anything looking back is better, Music, Films, gaming, cars, going to the Pub. Point is games do not cost £90 and how many of us here paid £60 for SF II on the SNES (never mind the £100 plus some import shops were asking) only not long after to buy SF II Turbo and pay another £60 for much the same game, and where it would be done by DLC this gen

In the 90's if you wanted to play a World Cup game based around footy, you had to buy a separate one, This gen EA give the World Cup game away free to any owner of FIFA . I remember paying over £70 for Turok and then a extra 20 quid for the memory to save the game. Game prices haven't go up at all really,
              Last edited by Team Andromeda; 26-06-2018, 14:03.

Comment

Still doesn't mean there aren't lots of valid complaints though. Complaining or moaning isn't new, but some of the issues being debated are.
                When they are valid, but games don't cost £90 and I would expect the content in the base version of games like Red Dead II to be at least 40 hours mark, more than for most and a lot diifferent to those 16 bit £50 or £60 games that could be finished in one sitting

Comment

Micro transactions and loot boxes are bull****, but games aren't bad value really. Even at £50 new, there's usually plenty of content included - and compared to £4 to £6 for a pint or £20 minimum for an evening meal for one, they stack up fairly well against other forms of entertainment.

Comment

RDR2 prices:
                    Standard - £50
                    Special Edition - £75
                    Ultimate Edition - £90 (Game)
                    Collector's Box (NO software) - £90

Mainly listing this for myself as it was getting confusing!

Comment

I feel this thread sums up Microsofts position in the market at the moment. They've shared more info than Sony yet this thread has moved slower than the Playstation 5 one... and we're already talking about something other than Xbox

Comment

When they are valid, but games don't cost £90 and I would expect the content in the base version of games like Red Dead II to be at least 40 hours mark, more than for most and a lot diifferent to those 16 bit £50 or £60 games that could be finished in one sitting
                        Well now we have games that cost from very little to huge sums. Back in the 1990's there were very few price tiers or business models for games. I think what you're trying to say, is that games are cheaper in real terms. However there are numerous games that cost £90 or more now. Indeed with GaaS there's no ceiling for the how much can be spent on a game. The reason EA give out a World Cup mode for free is so they can sell UT packs. This isn't a new strategy - it has been going on for years.

Comment

Well now we have games that cost from very little to huge sums. Back in the 1990's there were very few price tiers or business models for games. I think what you're trying to say, is that games are cheaper in real terms. However there are numerous games that cost £90 or more now. Indeed with GaaS there's no ceiling for the how much can be spent on a game. The reason EA give out a World Cup mode for free is so they can sell UT packs. This isn't a new strategy - it has been going on for years.
                          Having EA give you a free game is far better than what used to happen in the 90s and having to pay full price for the Road the World Cup. Games are cheaper today than what it cost to buy SNES or N64 games and even some MD games would break the bank like for Phantasy Star IV or Virtual Racing and its £70 price point for a racing game with car and just 3 tracks, and that's before we factor in inflation.

Base games this gen come in at around £50, thats cheaper than SNES games at £55 never mind what N64 games cost in Pal land. If people want and have the money to spend on extra content, well thats up to them. The base RR II its cheaper than N64 games and will pack more hours of gameplay, than most N64 games put together.

Comment

Having EA give you a free game is far better than what used to happen in the 90s and having to pay full price for the Road the World Cup.
                            Not necessarily, no. Indeed if the content is repetitive, cheap throw away modes to shift lootboxes then many of us don't care. Indeed GTA V for example has had loads of GTA Online content added. But for those of us interested in rich story or strong PVE content there has been nothing. Indeed it would be great to have GTA 7 or 8 to buy! Which of course is behind some of the concerns with RDR2.

The value of gaming now, versus 25-30 years ago doesn't void perfectly valid complaints about microtransactions, gambling on lootboxes or indeed other topics.

Comment

Honestly, I feel GTAOnline is genuinely behind my indifference toward RDR2. I mean, I loved RDR and GTAV but a decade between sequels and a half decade between any releases at all just seems to genuinely wind your interest regardless of the end quality of the product. There's really no reason for it at all too, they're gaining nothing by not releasing GTA6 etc in a reasonable timeframe and instead just annoying the larger proportion of their fanbase.

Comment

Not necessarily, no. Indeed if the content is repetitive, cheap throw away modes to shift lootboxes then many of us don't care. Indeed GTA V for example has had loads of GTA Online content added. But for those of us interested in rich story or strong PVE content there has been nothing. Indeed it would be great to have GTA 7 or 8 to buy! Which of course is behind some of the concerns with RDR2.
                                And the content wasn't repetitive in many games in the classic days? I paid £50 for SOR III and that got repetitive and was a game one could finish in a matter of hours The story and scripts used in games today are near Hollywood levels, if anything games these days are just too big and vast and become less fun and loses a little focus

I don't get your issues over GTA V; the main story game took me over 24 hours to finish (and I still missed out loads) that's more content than a lot of classic 16 bit and 32bit games put together and all for much the same RRP (well 32bit CD games were a little cheaper granted)

One can find many faults with current gaming, I really don't think the RRP is one of them imo

Comment

Working...
                                X