No announcement yet.

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sea of Thieves is a great poster child for Game Pass, it's exactly the kind of rolling game you'd check out when you have a subscription. If Game Pass didn't exist Sea of Thieves would have been a commercial bomb and no-one would be talking about it anymore. Halo, Forza and Gears don't sell consoles anymore in big numbers either, if they did XBO wouldn't have been so stagnant for the last three years.

It comes back to that thought where by the looks anyone who enjoys MS's core offerings and is going to buy an XSX is looking likely to end up with a genuinely great quality console and experience that they'll be immensely happy with. Those expecting MS to in any way not end up in last place again as part of the old console wars face off are going to be sorely disappointed for the fourth generation in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
      Thing is, MS can’t. Theres not a single seriesX exclusive to show the console off.
      Thing is MS can and will. If you really think any Series X isn't going to make use of the new memory and 12 Flop's GPU then you're not being serious

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
        I'm actually not having a pop at MS but are Hellblade and sea of thieves console sellers? Can sea of thieves compete with God Of War?
        Other than Halo what did MS have for people to move on to the 360?

but it's a punt and they don't have a great track record of exclusive games (crackdown 3 for example).
        That's pretty lame TBH. I'll not bother to say that Crackdown 3 is a haf decent game or that many games go through development hell.
        All one can say if that if you look at Gears IV and V; MS are well able to not only set up a studio but for it to deliver quality games

It be interesting to see what The Initiative come up with

Comment

Out of the gate, neither machine will have games that really take full advantage of the hardware. The launch software for both last time around was pretty meh...Knack and Ryse are among the most launch gamey launch games ever.

If I had to guess, I'd actually say that while the XSX seems to have the edge technically, I reckon the gulf won't be that huge - or that noticeable to most. I only used PS4 for the first few years of this gen, then switched to mostly using an Xbox One S when I received one as a gift ~18 months ago.

The Bone is lower power but to be honest the difference seems pretty minimal to me. It's not like I've ever it felt it feels particularly weaker or less capable than the PS4 in 'real world' usage.

Be interesting to see how it shakes out though - I do like that the machines are taking different approaches from a technical perspective, it makes things a bit more interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
            The launch software for both last time around was pretty meh...
            Dead Rising 3 was class though, still one of my fave games on the system

PS4 won the current war and I hope it is more even next time ... both systems will have pros and cons again ... but many will buy out of blind loyalty anyway, regardless of specs.

Comment

Halo Infinite & Forza Motorsport 8 versus Horizon: Zero Dawn II and one other

Who knows what the other thing would be, likely something new or Bluepoints project. Outsider contender would be Gran Turismo 7 given the amount of time it's been.

Comment

Out of the gate, neither machine will have games that really take full advantage of the hardware. The launch software for both last time around was pretty meh...Knack and Ryse are among the most launch gamey launch games ever.
                !
                Given the massive gulf in spec's, you're going to see games very early on that look leaks ahead of what this gen can do. I don't know why people knock Ryse myself. It was a great fun game with some of the most amazing graphics seen at the time. Killzone 4 might not have been great, but the gfx was leaks ahead of what the PS3 could do really, even Forza 5 was a big step up.

I bet if one has a 2.1 HDMI fancy TV set, the difference will be even more pronounced
                Last edited by Team Andromeda; 20-03-2020, 12:20.

Comment

Limited though Ryse was I think it was the launch game across both consoles I enjoyed the most

Comment

Yeah, maybe. It would be cool if so but I’m setting expectations to ‘medium’ (rather than ‘stun’, or, indeed, ‘kill’).

I didn’t really think much of Ryse or Killzone 4 at all, but that’s an interesting point regarding Dead Rising 3 Atticus. I’ve only ever played the first in that series and really liked it, so should give 3 a crack at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      Hellblade 1 was barely a game though and sea of thieves was boring as hell..
                      Hellblade was made on a tiny budget and still was great. The team now have proper 1st Party funding they're going to kick ass; Ninja Theory have always been a class outfit. I don't like Sea Of Thives myself, but it got millions of player and fans.

'The games' can be used in so many ways when it suits. What big games did SONY have when launching the PS compared to SEGA or Nintendo. I don't think anyone cared back then, it was all about have great 3rd party support and the best 3D hardware.

Compared to the PS2, the XBox hardly had BIG AAA exclusives that sold millions and millions. No one really cared with the 360 Then it was about having a great system with great 3rd parrty support to go along with Halo and better online fuctions.

I enjoy VR too, but its so niche. Despite the massive userbase SONY VR barely outsold the Mega-CD

Comment

I didn’t really think much of Ryse or Killzone 4 at all
                        Ryse was ace, like a BIG Budget Golden Axe game, I didn't enjoy Killzone 4 much, but it looked incredible and that's what I like to see and want in a launch title . I found the XBox One launch line up to be much better than the 360 TBH .

Comment

Haha, the 360 one was terrible. Perfect Dark was awful. I loved Ridge 6 though, and to be honest I was blown away by being able to do stuff like download a demo of Quake 4 and connect my iPod over USB.

EDIT: Saying that, I’ve just remembered 360 had Condemned, too. That was a cool game. I’d say on balance the 360 had one of the better launch lineups for me. It still wasn’t great though. They never are.
                          Last edited by wakka; 20-03-2020, 12:32.

Comment

Haha, the 360 one was terrible. Perfect Dark was awful.
                            It was bad, but seeing PGR3 in High Def made it all worth the cost (even if my PC Monitor was tiny at the time). In contrast, I really enjoyed Dead Rising 3, Forza 5 and Ryse. In fact, I quite gutted we never got a sequel to Ryse.

I did love the Multi-Media functions of the 360. I loved the Media PC and also being able to watch E3 on the system and then download the demo of Lost Planet was increabile at the time. So forward thinking . I really hope MS look to bring back LIVE Arcade too

Comment

I had just gotten a 26" Sharp Aquos LCD at the time, that supported 720p over component. Eye popping stuff in those days. I remember 26" sets being all the rage on here in that first wave of high definition, before HDMI came in.

They cost about £600. You could now probably get two low end 50" 4K sets for that!

Comment

I had just gotten a 26" Sharp Aquos LCD at the time, that supported 720p over component.
                                My JVC ( I think it was) PC Monitor/TV supported DVI and that what I used back then. The Monitor was tiny it was 24', but I was just amazed at the jump over standard def, plus was blowen away with how many fully 3D polygons spectators was able to be shown in PGR3

Really was great as was it to see your mates logging in and seeing what games there were playing

Comment

Working...
                                X