Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

News on backward compatibility

[Update 9/14/20: We’re happy to share that backward compatible titles will be coming to Xbox Series S as well as Xbox Series X. To deliver the highest quality backwards compatible experience consistent with the developer’s original intent, the Xbox Series S runs the Xbox One S version of backward compatible games while applying improved texture […]

Comment

Originally posted by BIG EDD View Post
      So will it run all Xbox One games? I do like the idea of 60fps games running at 120fps. Forza Horizons 4 would looks Awsome in 4K at that frame rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
        So will it run all Xbox One games? I do like the idea of 60fps games running at 120fps. Forza Horizons 4 would looks Awsome in 4K at that frame rate.
        That’s the main question but to have games that ran standard 30fps doubled to 60fps plus the use of HDR even on original Xbox games will be a great addition.

Comment

I think it's an absolute given all first party games in games pass will get significant upgrades. Forza, Gears, Halo, Sea of Theives etc...

In fact Rare already hinted this for SoT and we've seen Gears and Halo demonstrations for the auto HDR and other improvements.

Would be more interested to see what 3rd party partner games get the treatment. I'd love to see something like Titanfall 2 get the treatment for instance...

Actually scrub that, I'd like to see anything on my backlog get attention so that... I have a prettier backlog.

Two games in holding off until end of the year are Control and Doom Eternal. Control especially could do with some tweaking as the frame rate was a problem in some sections

Comment

Given MS's wording avoids stating all XBO games work on XSX are almost every turn it feels safe to assume that they won't. But, given how they've been in the past the chances are the incompatible stuff will be titles few care about.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
              Yep, it sounds awesome . Hope quite a few Xbox One games get a Series X patch to improve graphics not just the frame rate, but sound and add in HDR.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                Given MS's wording avoids stating all XBO games work on XSX are almost every turn it feels safe to assume that they won't. But, given how they've been in the past the chances are the incompatible stuff will be titles few care about.
                I think they've stated in one video that every Xbox One game is compatible, the only thing that would stop it being permitted would maybe be expired licensing.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                  I think they've stated in one video that every Xbox One game is compatible, the only thing that would stop it being permitted would maybe be expired licensing.
                  Correct. Though you may also get that odd one game that won't work, like you always get that odd game that wouldn't work on a resined or slim console like OutRun on the White Saturn . The BC team at MS is the best in the business, can't wait to see what they can do on the next gen

Comment

True but the basic fact is the backward compatibility is baked in and established this time around whereas when it launched during the Xbox Ones time obviously they needed to develop the emulator for the 360 given the architecture. Now it's more a case of ramping up what is already there on architecture that is known and established.

I'm sure there'll be outliers but I would just expect all of the major titles to work and a fair amount of them to have enhancements.

Comment

So is the Series X compatible with Kinect?

Comment

Not even the Xbox One is compatible with Kinect since the S and X revisions...

Comment

Originally posted by Deuteros View Post
                          Not even the Xbox One is compatible with Kinect since the S and X revisions...
                          It is, I use mine on the One S. You need a USB Kinect Adapter cable.

Comment

About as compatible as my car's stereo is with cassette tapes, then.

Comment

It's compatible, that's the point. Not that anyone would want to ok play Kinect games , much less tapes

Comment

Well yes but that's a rather cheeky comparison. They dropped the power port on the newer devices which really it's fair enough given the deprecated the device.

You can still use it though, in the dashboard and for games that support it. You just need to power it from a different source.

Comment

Working...
                                X