No announcement yet.

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I reckon this gen has shown that exclusives do matter. The consoles are more similar to each than ever in terms of capabilities and in terms of broader libraries, so it really is the key point of differentiation at this point.

Comment

Maybe but we mustn’t forget the gigantic cluster**** that was the Xbox one launch. It’s got to be hard to come back from that.

Comment

DRM
        $599/£429
        Kinect Spycam and Mic
        TVTVTVTVTV

I mean MS were down and out before they had even launched the Xbox in Tier 1 countries, tier 2 countries to follow later.
        Sony came along and kicked MS’s teeth in with a more powerful and cheaper console, which everyone bought to play Call of Duty and FIFA.

Comment

There's no such thing as a next gen console any more. The days of killer launch titles are gone. It's just like upgrading your PC to get better graphics than your old one now. Boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Monkey Balls View Post
            There's no such thing as a next gen console any more. The days of killer launch titles are gone. It's just like upgrading your PC to get better graphics than your old one now.
            Totally agree but I don't think it's boring. On the cusp of new hardware I still love what I have and it still feels relevant and up to date ... which is great for a clown like me who can't resist some launch day action.

Playing Doom Eternal on the X, which looks and runs like nothing else I've seen, the last thing on my mind is splashing out £500 to replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              Playing Doom Eternal on the X, which looks and runs like nothing else I've seen, the last thing on my mind is splashing out £500 to replace it.
              Same here. I bought the X and PS4 Pro because I got a 4K TV and they were totally worth it, I've been really impressed with how some games use HDR in particular. That doesn't feel like very long ago though and I don't feel like I'd have much to gain by buying the upcoming consoles on release unless they announce some exciting exclusives.

Comment

The XsX offers faster loading times, resume function, increased resolution, higher frame rates (up to any caps) and HDR on backwards compatible games. It’ll be an enhancement with existing and forthcoming games even over the X. Whether that’s worth the price at launch is down to each of us to decide.

Comment

Next gen is definitely going to feel like a proper next gen. Native 4k as standard & the super fast ssd’s are really going to kick the crap out of this current gen and make it feel old instantly. Hell, the speed of the PS5 ssd wont even be affordable on pc for a long time.

Comment

That all sounds great ... but lots of little reasons don't necessarily make one big reason.

Saying that I know it's only a matter of time, I'll want to resist but probably won't be able to ... but the interim consoles like the Pro and X do make it far more gradual/less of an event/easier to consider holding off.

Comment

The big reason will be Last Of Us 2!

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                        Exclusives aren’t as big a deal as folk make out. The best selling games on PS4 and Xbox One are the usual FIFA, Call of Duty, Red Dead Redemption / GTA V, Star Wars etc.
                        And Fortnite dominates them all in terms of revenue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_in_video_games
                        Very true , though MS made another bad call with the focus on Online , rather than single player... To go along with the underpowered GPU .

Both consoles are going to be amazing, but it's clear the Series X will be the best for 3rd party ports

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                          Very true , though MS made another bad call with the focus on Online , rather than single player... To go along with the underpowered GPU .

Both consoles are going to be amazing, but it's clear the Series X will be the best for 3rd party ports
                          Don't agree with that last part. Too tough to call. Different approaches from Sony and MS, speed vs parallelism basically and traditionally speed (ps5) wins. That said, devs and tool are becoming more used to writing for multi-core, it just depends how good they've become. I don't see 3rd parties bothering to write for greater parallelism because it's hard. I do think that MS 1st party could produce stuff that looks better than the best that PS5 can do though (a reversal of the last 2 gens (base consoles, not including Pro and One X))
                          Last edited by Brad; 09-04-2020, 18:31.

Comment

I suspect when we get the inevitable side by sides, the PS5 will load faster and offer better textures...IF optimised for it.
                            That PS5 hdd speed and near zero bottlenecks mean most of the graphical performance can be focused directly where the camera is pointing....IF 3rd parties bother to use it fully.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                              Don't agree with that last part. Too tough to call. Different approaches from Sony and MS, speed vs parallelism basically and traditionally speed (ps5) wins. That said, devs and tool are becoming more used to writing for multi-core, it just depends how good they've become. I don't see 3rd parties bothering to write for greater parallelism because it's hard. I do think that MS 1st party could produce stuff that looks better than the best that PS5 can do though (a reversal of the last 2 gens (base consoles, not including Pro and One X))
                              Did the likes of the Saturn win out due to Faster loading, or or was it more thanks to 3D GFX and better GPU

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                                Did the likes of the Saturn win out due to Faster loading, or or was it more thanks to 3D GFX and better GPU
                                What the actual **** are you talking about? Why have you brought up faster loading?

Comment

Working...
                                X