Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad View Post
    Farpoint VR had best use of audio, of what I’ve played. Do you need a special amp to get Atmos sound through headphones?
    No, but it is a one-time cost of £15 on the Xbox Live storefront (or Windows 10 store) to unlock Dolby Atmos for Headphones forever for both Xbox One and PC. Plantronics also bundle it with some of their headsets.

It then works with any headphones plugged into the controller or via Optical/HDMI DAC/Amp (although you must turn any post processing off if using something like the X7 or Mixamp etc.). I would imagine you want to stick to stereo headphones and not some multiple driver headsets (i.e. these Razor 7.1 headsets).

Then you get odd games like Overwatch which have Atmos built in and don't required the license (although OW might be unique in this regards). So unlike Sony's positional audio isn't hardware dependant but equally there aren't many games that support Atmos unfortunately.

It's good though, although the caveat of what you've heard before/used to. But surround is better than pure stereo in games imo.

EDIT: I think you can trial Dolby Atmos for 14-days or so before you buy (someone correct me if wrong). Also a list of games that support it here.
    Last edited by Digfox; 26-03-2020, 08:55.

Comment

A hacker stole graphics IPs from AMD, including source code information for Big Navi and Arden GPUs. Arden's the code name for the GPU inside the XBX console.

He also posted two partial dumps on Github and seeking a mere $100 million to release the whole dataset.

AMD have taken legal action against Github to have the partial dumps taken down, and have downplayed how much data has been stolen.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
        Farpoint VR had best use of audio, of what I’ve played. Do you need a special amp to get Atmos sound through headphones?
        Gears in Atmos is something else and while the film is crap
        The Predator (2018) is the best use of the format so far .

Comment

Following on from his one on one interview with IGN’s Ryan McCaffrey, Phil Spencer has now been a guest on IGN show Next-Gen Console Watch 2020. This is IGN’s show where they break down all the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X news and rumours. The video is just under 30 minutes long so it’s fairly lengthy in nature. One segment stuck out to us when Phil spoke about having a plan to win [the next generation]. In the video interview, Phil Spencer said that: “You have to set a price target at the beginning for yourselves and then you roll in as you see the competition and you start to do your go-to-market planning. “I feel good about the price we’re going to be able to get to. I feel good about the price and the performance capabilities that we have for Series X. I feel incredibly strong about the overall package. “We have a plan and we feel very solid about it. I believe we have a plan that can win [the next generation.] We can infer that Phil is referring to an amalgamation of things Xbox has put in place such as winning the power advantage, full backwards compatibility, xCloud, Game Pass etc. and how he and his team believe their plan is sufficient to win.

Spencer says they're being careful at pricing XSX and believe they have a plan that can beat Sony

and that US subscription model will continue to be utilised.

Comment

The subscription model ('Xbox All Access') is available here too via certain retailers - I've seen Smyths have it. It's £25 per month over 24 months, and you get a One X plus Game Pass Ultimate for the duration.

As it stands that's a pretty poor deal on a One X, which can be had for £260 to £280, with GP Ultimate codes often making a month about £4 to £6.

But if the Series X launches at £450 and sticks at that price for a good while - and, crucially, if monthly payments on All Access remain £25 - it won't be a horrible deal. That's effectively interest free credit on the machine plus £6.25 per month for GP Ultimate - much more reasonable than the £10.99 sticker price which I think is on the high side despite the quality of Game Pass.

Comment

Latest rumours suggest that the Lockhart APU hasn’t even taped out yet so a potential Xbox series S is likely still some time away. I suppose people buying the new consoles in the first year to eighteen months aren’t the most price sensitive buyers.

Comment

For most users it'll come down to games...you know, the thing that both MS and Sony are not showing.
                I guess they were waiting for E3, but now? For IGN's summer of gaming event?

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                  For most users it'll come down to games...you know, the thing that both MS and Sony are not showing.
                  I guess they were waiting for E3, but now? For IGN's summer of gaming event?
                  I think anyone waiting for games from MS will be waiting a long time.

Comment

MS will have games but sadly most will be burnt off stuff they picked up from those acquisitions. It'll be probably 4+ years before we get even the first okay fruit from that scenario I'd guess.

Comment

All the more obvious now that the DualSense reveal was intended to distract from Inside Xbox as proven by the zero attention it got. They needn't have bothered, outside of XSX MS has nothing for 2020

Comment

I really can't picture MS doing anything different next gen. Theyve basically dumped an entire generation. I want MS to do better, I really do, but every time I see a video release from MS it pisses me off.

Comment

Exclusives aren’t as big a deal as folk make out. The best selling games on PS4 and Xbox One are the usual FIFA, Call of Duty, Red Dead Redemption / GTA V, Star Wars etc.
                          And Fortnite dominates them all in terms of revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                            Exclusives aren’t as big a deal as folk make out. The best selling games on PS4 and Xbox One are the usual FIFA, Call of Duty, Red Dead Redemption / GTA V, Star Wars etc.
                            And Fortnite dominates them all in terms of revenue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_in_video_games
                            That's very true. I'm playing DS3 and Doom Eternal, both of which I'm enjoying and both of which I could play on either console.
                            I just feel like MS approach is like throwing scraps off a table. It all seems to be about online challenges, and exclusive skins and car give aways. It's all meh.

Comment

Though the usual multiplatform titles are the biggest sellers I'd still completely believe that exclusives are a big deal and are one of the cornerstones as to why MS consistently does so poorly

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                                Though the usual multiplatform titles are the biggest sellers I'd still completely believe that exclusives are a big deal and are one of the cornerstones as to why MS consistently does so poorly
                                Exactly. The multiplatforms are multiplatform so unless one system is massively more capable than another it doesn't factor into your decision. Where your friends are and platform exclusives do. Just the latter for me as I rarely game online.

Comment

Working...
                                X