Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
    When I went from 60fps to 30fps in FH4, there was a drastic reduction in how realistic the graphics looked. The game world didn't feel so solid and convincing. So 60fps also helps will visual clarity and makes game worlds feel more solid.
    I'm the other way around and rather play Forza Horizon 4 in 4K mode, the greenery of Great Britan just comes alive. Thought for something like Wolfenstein II I went for performance

Comment

It's marmite isn't it... Seriously I couldn't go back to the4K mode after playing Forza in 60fps. But obviously some weird people like TA prefer it, which is fine!

Again, this is why both preferences need to be supported by developers. To me this is as important as supporting different controller options or other accessibility options like colour blindness.

Sure you could argue to play it as the developers intended but to me this isn't an impact on artistic vision, it's an implementation of options to make your artistic vision more enjoyable as a game for people that have a preference to a certain experience.

I'd say we're at a point now with these consoles where supporting both options across all or most titles is technically possible with little cost increase in the development.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        This point came up when DF covered the latest Cyberpunk footage. CDPR have gone with all of the bells and whistles post-processing effects like chromatic aberration, where the colors around the edges of the screen become offset, in an effort to force your focus on the center of the screen. This effect can be heavy on performance. It comes with a lot of Skyrim ENBs and I turn it off every time.

Why would I want to lose 10-15fps on my expensive GPU in order to make my expensive monitor look like crap?

What's funny is that the game has some very noticeable level of detail pop in. Shrubs and grass will magically appear within 8-10ft of the viewpoint. Again, with Skyrim you can boost that to ridiculous levels by changing the number 120 to 40 in a text file, until the 3D grass blends seamlessly into the distant 2D landscape - all for the cost of an extra 2fps:

Sometimes I wonder where developers' priorities are at. As amazing as Cyberpunk is shaping up I'm probably going to have to spend the first couple of days back-and-forth twiddling with the .ini files. Besides the above, all of that dumb Bladerunner 2047 heavy fogging can do one as well. I don't want to feel like I'm playing on a PSone Pro.

Another bit of Skyrim pimping: https://i.ibb.co/gSQzSvY/Screen-Shot30.png

That armour is all cubemapped up, which gives off a faux ray-tracing effect for little-to-no performance cost. It looks absolutely glorious in motion, especially when it's covered in rain and blood. Disclaimer: My weathers are looking bland/stark on purpose as I'm going for realism this time. A recent play of 1080 (Snowboarding) inspired that.

tl;dr: I really hope more devs focus on optimisation in order to attain the silky performance instead of just recklessly dumping stupidly expensive techniques around for the sake of it. At least PC players can tweak.
        Honestly i don’t believe a lot of devs even know what optimisation is, some games come out as such a mess technically its like a bunch if artists just dumped their assets into blender and something managed to come out.

Is this available on the OneX version dave? Ive always wanted to try some of these mods.

Comment

Yeah I've worked in software testing for over two decades now so I know all about developer priorities. Most are almost oblivious to what the customer actually wants...

I can only imagine how they are where games are concerned. Thankfully I'm just involved in financial software!! Nothing too important.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
            I'm the other way around and rather play Forza Horizon 4 in 4K mode, the greenery of Great Britan just comes alive. Thought for something like Wolfenstein II I went for performance
            I'm still using a 1080p TV with my One X. When I turn off the '60fps' mode, I see a drastic reduction in visual clarity and it feels clunky to play.

Maybe the 30fps mode doesn't look so bad on a 4K screen, but the feel of the game still can't be really smooth like it is at 60fps.

Let's hope that next gen console gaming is all about running games at 60fps in 4k. The way console games can be expertly optimised to push hardware really hard, means that the best devs will shine when it comes to getting the most of the next gen hardware.

Comment

Even with the new ssd tech in PS5 and SeriesX grunt were DEFINITELY not going going to see 4k 60fps.

However we should have the choice, 1080p 60fps, 1440p 60fps, 4k 30fps.

Id be personally quite happy with 1440p 60fps as standard.
              Last edited by fishbowlhead; 28-06-2020, 14:50.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                4k 30fps.

I was thinking 30fps would finally be a thing of the past, but you have me thinking that it will rear its ugly head again next gen. Now I'm thinking the dream of 4K 60fps for consoles won't become a reality until the generation after next, or maybe with upgraded iterations of the PS5 and Series X a couple of years down the line.

I guess devs are going to start talking about 1440p as being a nice improvement over 1080p for people who want to play console games at 60fps.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 29-06-2020, 20:46.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                  It's marmite isn't it...
                  It isn't. It's quite unanimous really.

Comment

Is this available on the OneX version dave? Ive always wanted to try some of these mods.
                    Haha, no chance! (PC).

That's a bunch of mods that I've taken the best bits out of each and Frankenstein'd up into a true green winter environment for the whole map.

1440p. 75fps outdoors and fluctuating 120-144fps indoors. They managed to fix the Havoc physics issues when going above 60fps. The community, that is - not Bethesda.

Comment

Even with the new ssd tech in PS5 and SeriesX grunt were DEFINITELY not going going to see 4k 60fps.

However we should have the choice, 1080p 60fps, 1440p 60fps, 4k 30fps.

We will. Just not everywhere.

Comment

So apparently the MS big show is penciled in for the week starting July 20th.

Comment

Hope this is a launch game.

Microsoft Smash Bros.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post

Microsoft Smash Bros.
                            DLC Season pass for Cuphead and Mughead.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post

Microsoft Smash Bros.
                              Looking forward to Blinx the cat making his long overdue comeback.

Comment

Looking forward to Blinx the cat making his long overdue comeback.
                                As DLC?

Comment

Working...
                                X