No announcement yet.

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It reminds me of the mini gigabyte brix 1060 VR which is a small PC tower unit.

I'm warming to it but I think much like the Xbox One X you'll have to see it in the tin to appreciate the design. I'd argue the Xbox One X is the nicest looking console of this generation, and also one of the quietest... And the most powerful.

Comment

I don't really know anything about these things but are those holes at the top? For ventilation maybe? Isn't that the worst place for them in terms of dust getting in? Or is that just a design feature and not actually somewhere that provides access to the internals?

Comment

I still stand by the XBS, XBX and this being naff designs. I don't think they look good at all simply because they exceed at their intention which isn't to look like anything at all. Personally the ethos behind it is a really odd thing as well.

It's the whole idea of them fitting in with your other home devices by looking as bland as possible. What's abundantly clear is that the direction hasn't led to more hardware sales for anyone and I imagine half of that is that people don't care enough about it and spend very little time looking at the system rather than the screen. What it does lead to though is leaving the system with a hugely reduced marketing edge.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
          It reminds me of the mini gigabyte brix 1060 VR which is a small PC tower unit.

I'm warming to it but I think much like the Xbox One X you'll have to see it in the tin to appreciate the design. I'd argue the Xbox One X is the nicest looking console of this generation, and also one of the quietest... And the most powerful.
          Looking at the picture and the Joypad, BluRay Drive door The unit itself, looks really small...reminds me of the Apple Cube G4 . I'm just not a fan of the colour of this or on the One X.Like the white used on the One S a little more .

Do like how the One X was so powerful and so small and also very quite to use . The new pad looks nice too

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            I don't really know anything about these things but are those holes at the top? For ventilation maybe? Isn't that the worst place for them in terms of dust getting in? Or is that just a design feature and not actually somewhere that provides access to the internals?
            That is a ventilation space, presumably with some more on one of the sides we can’t see too, as the device is also able to be placed horizontally.

Allegedly this has been done to improve thermals, which is the big problem we have with smaller devices.
            It was the same with a that smaller version of the Mac Pro before the $52,000 model they just announced

It’s certainly going to be a tight squeeze, but any AV unit with space for a receiver will be able to fit it.

Comment

If it overheats it's design will bring a whole new meaning to bricked consoles

Comment

Can we agree to just call this latest generation of Xbox the Essex?

Comment

The name makes me think it’s just a more powerful iteration on the one. Like it’s a one x ++. Is that what this is?

I quite like the design. As much as I liked the purple GameCube I’m 50 years old now and I need things to fit into my living space. The last speakers I bought were chosen because the grill fabric matched my sofas!

Comment

I also quite like the design. There’ll be a slim model a few years later, anyway. What concerns me is that the disc drive slot is near the base where it’ll be dustier, especially on a carpet.

They’ve revealed it standing so I wonder if it’s a nod to PCs - backwards/forwards compatibility, a controller which doesn’t appear to stray from the XBO one, internals which are basically a PC...

Comment

Hopefully they can use all this processing power to create a UI that doesn't lag.

Comment

Looks great. Should play all my existing games, and perhaps better than ever. Day one.

Comment

Techradar don't like the name. They hit the nail on the head I think.

Comment

MS R&D: "X on it? Check. Shape of a box? Check"

Let's hope PS5 isn't also very close on this aspect too...

Comment

I don’t understand all this fuss over the name, and I think the Wii-U comparison is off. Nintendo’s trouble was they didn’t even reveal the actual console for a while, just the controller, so even relatively clued-up gamers were confused. Plus, it was the successor to a console that loads of non-gaming people bought.

The Xbox One isn’t a console for grandmas, so their target audience hopefully won’t make the same mistake. Placed beside the Xbox One, the pricing will make it obvious which is current gen.

I worry there might be confusion if they release two or three configurations(like the core and premium 360s), but that will happen regardless of the name. Maybe they are resetting their naming nonsense by simply calling it ‘Xbox’, with two or three different serieses-es.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                                . Plus, it was the successor to a console that loads of non-gaming people bought..
                                That was the issue. You went from a controller than pensioners could use and hold. To a controller that was a size of a console it's self and with more buttons than that in an Knight Industries Two Thousand car. Add in Nintendo lame game output and how it was never able to justify the controller there were your issues.

If one just when on how the console looks or with the best name. The Neo Geo would have cleaned up

Comment

Working...
                                X