No announcement yet.

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do wonder if people's expectations might exceed what they get with these new machines. I mean RDR2 on XBox One X is already ridiculously detailed and in 4K with HDR; what more are we going to get? Forza Horizon in 1080p@60fps vs 4k:30fps, I couldn't see any fidelity difference, just enjoyed the higher framerate. I guess maybe it's that the work that had to go into RDR2 to get to that point would not be required on next gen, so more game devs could do it without breaking the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post

I wonder what the real world gains in terms of storage space are vs the real world known factors of assets now being high resolution, higher bit depth, higher quality, the usual things that actually cause the bloat.
      I imagine MS & Sony would have to actually enforce a mandatory zero bloat policy for everyone to suddenly start seeing 60fps with near zero loading accross the board in games, otherwise i fear devs will just stick to old habbits and the old practices will just stay in place with some minor improvements due to the ssd's, rather than the revolution in my head they should cause in consoles.

I'm sure we will see what Cerny in claiming from from ssd's 1st partys, same for MS, but 3rd? probably not.
      Last edited by fishbowlhead; 25-02-2020, 15:42.

Comment

I think we're due significant gains in CPU and storage which could really impact consoles games if developers choose to utilise that. Not discounting the leaps in GPU and memory bandwidth though. Although for an end user though the gains won't always be obvious.

That said there's been a few scenarios in the last few days which have reinforced the view that network and more specifically server performance will become more critical. Certainly beyond the obvious day one can't log onto the server moments (i.e. Wolcen etc.). The Elder Scrolls Online big new performance patch yesterday improving aspects like loading times, but in reality the main performance gripes with the game continue to be with the lag and performance of the servers. In particular in in the PVP areas (and the crowd seems to be more vocal about the NA megaserver). Or The Division 2 on Xbox One X taking about the same time to load into the game as my PC in the first game (7,200 RPM external mechanical HDD on XBX vs. SSD on SATA 3 the PC). None of these things are platform dependant of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          what more are we going to get?
          If you upscale an old game to 4K, you don't get more detail. I think a lot of current games in 4K aren't adding detail, so you just have a nicer sheen to the image. So playing something like FH4 in 1080p will look very much the same as in 4K, because you're not getting increased detail. 4K might actually show up some of the bad points of the graphics.

The next gen will be all about adding more detail to 4K games, so all the features in the game world will look more attractive and realistic. That's when we'll see 4K at its best. The capabilities of the next gen machines is way more advanced in all areas, so I think people will be really impressed with what the best devs can deliver.

Comment

FH3 is native 4K on Xbox one x. There’s no missing detail.

Comment

I just want 60fps across the board and little to no loading. Its not much to ask for, i could give a fudge about ray tracing and more realistic guns in yet another cod.

Comment

I do wonder if people's expectations might exceed what they get with these new machines. I mean RDR2 on XBox One X is already ridiculously detailed and in 4K with HDR; what more are we going to get?
                Don't people say that ever gen and each gen we see a massive leap? Playing Forza 4 in Native 4K one can see the difference, never mind when one starts to play Halo V in Native 4k. The CPU's alone will mean we will see a massive leap never mind with the new GPU's memory system.

And saying the GPU's will only be 12 Teraflops sort of misses the point of the new architecture. You can have a RISC CPU running at the same speed of a CISC CPU and the difference would still be big, thanks to the newer architecture of RISC.

These new consoles are going to see BIG gains and I can't wait, This gen as gone on long enough.

Comment

FH3 is native 4K on Xbox one x. There’s no missing detail.
                  I didn't mention anything about "missing detail," I just meant that 4K games don't necessarily have more detail. Boosting a game's resolution can actually show up graphic limitations.

The next gen will be all about adding lots more detail to game worlds by using much higher quality assets. So that in hand with 4K will deliver far more realistic looking games. Current 4K games on consoles aren't really showing off the full potential of 4K.

I can't wait to see how incredible games like Forza Horizon 5 and GTA6 will look in 4K.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 25-02-2020, 20:19.

Comment

I'm hoping HDR becomes mandatory it is more of an upgrade than just going to 4k resolution. With the more realistic lighting effects made possible with ray tracing the extra dynamic range will be more important. But then peoples televisions will need to be setup better to really see the benefit.

Comment

HDR 4K with ray tracing is going to utterly destroy frame rates on anything that costs less than £1,000 to produce.

All the SSDs in the world can't help that.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                        I didn't mention anything about "missing detail," I just meant that 4K games don't necessarily have more detail. Boosting a game's resolution can actually show up graphic limitations.

The next gen will be all about adding lots more detail to game worlds by using much higher quality assets. So that in hand with 4K will deliver far more realistic looking games. Current 4K games on consoles aren't really showing off the full potential of 4K.

I can't wait to see how incredible games like Forza Horizon 5 and GTA6 will look in 4K.
                        The way I look at it is like 8bit vs 16bit. I had sonic on the master system, and you could look at it and think 'well what is 16bit going to give me that I don't already have here?' but you only have to look at the MD Sonic to see its worlds apart. Yes it's still Sonic but it's a damn sight better on 16bit.
                        Fast forward to 2020 and Forza: 'Well what is a SSD and 12TF going to give me that I don't already have here?'...

Comment

I think anyone expecting the same jump we saw going from 8-bit to 16-bit for this upcoming generation is going to be severely disappointed.

Comment

It'll be the same as this gen. MS will push for 60fps with their first party stuff meaning the best looking exclusives are on PS5 instead where 30fps will be a more common alternative. HDR will be common but a toggle, ray tracing will be there in its most minimal form and absent from most 60fps titles. I think I'm mostly keen on seeing how hard MS want to push specs in a battle against Sony at the risk of being out RRP'd. Maybe they'll take a hit but I'm already feeling a 30-35m lifetime limit on XSX sales

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                              Fast forward to 2020 and Forza: 'Well what is a SSD and 12TF going to give me that I don't already have here?'...
                              I think the amount of RAM and bandwidth are also important factors. You're going to see much more detailed assets used, so trees and grass etc.. will look more convincing/realistic. The improved detail in game worlds will get things much closer to reality.

I'm sure that clever techniques to get the most out of the hardware will deliver stunning results. What the best devs have done with the pretty basic hardware in the current gen consoles really highlights how you can really optimise things for consoles and get impressive results. So the next gen machines being far better tech in all areas will really enable devs to deliver stunningly detailed game worlds in 4K.

I also think lighting will improve dramatically, but devs will have to develop clever techniques that don't impact overall performance too much. HDR will help in that regard.

I'm really looking forward to the best games the next gen will offer. I expect to be truly amazed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                                The way I look at it is like 8bit vs 16bit. I had sonic on the master system, and you could look at it and think 'well what is 16bit going to give me that I don't already have here?' but you only have to look at the MD Sonic to see its worlds apart. Yes it's still Sonic but it's a damn sight better on 16bit.
                                Good point. I mean the Mega Drive could only handle 20 odd more sprites on the screen, but what a difference. People say this gen wasn't much of a leap and then one plays Fifa or Battlefield on a 360 and then on a base Xbox One or PS4. That's before one moves on to the likes of Forza, Horizon, God Of War

Next-gen we're getting a nice combo very decent CPU's and GPU's. I just hope we get more interactive scenery. I love playing the new COD or The Division 2 but the scenery very rarely reacts to players. I like to see buildings, car's, trucks Ect.. able to be destroyed

Of coruse you also need a decent TV to really appreciate it all, even better if one got a new TV with HDMI 2.1

Comment

Working...
                                X