Ghost of Tsushima

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad View Post
    Looks nice. Also got bored before the end of the video so would no doubt fall asleep whilst playing it. Batman with a Samurai skin maybe. It's just the same old stuff; they dress it up in fancy words - The blah blah blah changes the style of combat, evolve the combat in the way that YOU choose. Oh, you mean you have a skill tree. Collecting bits of bamboo for whatever. Nah.
    Lol . Hilarious post. Yeah, I agree. It's Modern AAA Game #2349082 with a samurai skin. It looks alright, like, it's got really good graphics. I'm sure it's competently made. But I just can't be arsed. Doesn't excite me at all.

Comment

Seems like the gam is a clarion call for all those sick of modern game design to focus their frustrated energies.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
        Seems like the gam is a clarion call for all those sick of modern game design to focus their frustrated energies.
        I love Batman gams, ninjas and easy-peasy combat. Hope this turns out to be the lazy re-skin I'm reading about - I'll be minted.
        Last edited by Golgo; 15-05-2020, 16:36.

Comment

Hey, at least they showed gameplay...like actual gameplay...

Comment

I give up trying to post images anymore
            Last edited by teddymeow; 15-05-2020, 17:41.

Comment

Being a fan of classic samurai movies I watched the presentation to see if this could be a contender for installation in my Pro. Well no. It appears to be a fairly dull game about a guy with serious flatulence issues. Looks quite pretty but I think that’s the Sony first party modus operandi of making pretty but dull third person games.
              The grayscale option is a nice touch though.
              Maybe it was just the UToob video but I thought the black levels looked a bit elevated in the game?

Comment

To counterbalance the views here, I’ll have a crack at explaining why I like the look of it.

- It’s a samurai game. They aren’t ten-a-penny. I’m hoping that it has that real Lone Wolf atmosphere. The game suggests that it’s very much an interaction between character and environment, with the wind being your guide, and little clues revealing activities.
                - As a showcase, it wasn’t the best example. It looked like an arse-around sandbox. I’m hoping that amongst all the Just Cause style outpost clearances, there’ll be a good story thread running through it.
                - Regardless, I liked the mix of approaches in what was shown. The Tenchu bits looked decent. I’m not concerned about the lack of hordes descending on you immediately upon discovery. The game said that you can cause fear in your opponents and prompt them to flee (or hide, I guess). Tenchu was much the same, and I loved the 360 game.
                - The one-strike swordsmanship was very in keeping with the samurai movie style. I approve.
                - The visuals are gorgeous and look varied in terms of environments.
                - The soundtrack sounds lovely.
                - It seems like a relatively relaxed experience with a lot of exploration and atmosphere.

I’m very optimistic! If I was jaded with modern game design tropes, then I’d probably be very unimpressed, too. The setting and period sell it for me, though.

Comment

From a production point of view it looks well made and will present many opportunities to take screenshots/capture video given the vistas on display. I appreciate the point about open world fatigue for some but if you're looking to play a game like that in this setting it might be good enough as it is.

I'll catch shade for writing this but not every new release has to be an entirely fresh experience. It can still be decent by reiterating or building on what's gone before. I think Ghost of Tsushima will be a game in that vein.

Comment

I agree with Prinnysquad's nicely balanced response, despite some of the tired modern open-world tropes here like the 'he's behind you' magically appearing horse thing. The thing that disappointed me slightly was the one thing I was most interested in seeing. Much has been promised about how they'd got rid of map waypoint clutter for a more organic way of teasing the player through the map to points of interest. I was expecting a map packed with interesting and enticing features. I wasn't expecting the summoning of winds to direct you, let alone friendly birds and foxes flapping and skipping ahead, leading you on like some kind of samurai Bambi movie. And when you get where they helpfully lead you, you pray at a shrine for a bit of XP. This felt a bit silly. All in all, I'd prefer the standard map littered with Xs.

Comment

Let the wind guide you. Wow! That’s nothing like the follow this path of other games!

I love sucker punch btw. I thought the infamous games were outstanding. I just don’t see the attraction here apart from if you’re a samurai movie mega fan. But for those fans, enjoy!

Comment

It may be a load of old ****e! Just Cause for samurais.

I hold out hope of quality and engagement, despite the fair criticisms/misgivings.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                          It may be a load of old ****e! Just Cause for samurais.
                          Very true but I think the pedigree of the developer will mean it's highly unlikely.

I hope.

Comment

Presentation seemed awful to be honest. Starts weirdly, doesn’t really seem put together well and just doesn’t flow at all.

Probably put together in a rush.

I have faith though as Sucker Punch haven’t actually made a bad game, fantastic studio and im looking forward to this.

Comment

It looks all right. I'll almost certainly get it for the setting. Probably won't ever complete it.

Comment

This is my fear. I got super-burned with Sekiro - despite besting the entire DaS-BB canon, couldn't defeat GS Owl and never went back. Get the feeling this might be similar territory.

Comment

Working...
                                X