No announcement yet.

Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

505 Games says get Control of yourselves! You can't all have an upgrade for the next-gen system versions of Control because 'yadayada made up reasons'

Comment

What a load of bollocks. Sorry but how is this game a special case and every other game seems to handle this fine?

They mention the base game will play through BC with enhancements but the new ultimate edition, which has the same bloody content is somehow special.

I really like Remedy but this is pretty piss poor from them.

Comment

It's this sort of thing that just compounds why I won't buy games full price at launch anymore, they're mugging you off. If instead you wait for the discounted special editions, you get a far better deal, so if this is how you want to treat your biggest fans, well you're not going to keep them as fans for very long.

Comment

If people vote with their wallets maybe they’ll try a different approach next time.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
            What a load of bollocks. Sorry but how is this game a special case and every other game seems to handle this fine?

They mention the base game will play through BC with enhancements but the new ultimate edition, which has the same bloody content is somehow special.

I really like Remedy but this is pretty piss poor from them.
            As far as I'm aware, there is no game past or present with quite the same setup as what is going on here.
            I've actually spoken to some people close to this and there are various factors causing issues, disc/digital issues, storefront administration, and API availability, but much of it being a platform holder policies over how you can offer upgrades for next-gen. This means they can't give the same treatment to both consoles, so everyone has to suffer.

This won't be the first game where this happens and there will be more fallout as people realize the extent of these policies.

Comment

Interesting... Though surely there has to be some way current owners can "upgrade" the current version, even for a small fee?

The situation right now is their explanation doesn't actually explain anything and presents more questions than answers.

From what you describe I'm sure there's some politics involved as well but it doesn't change the fact that the option they've chosen negatively affects the day one adopters of the game and it's season pass.

Comment

insert into licences (licenceid, userid)
                select 'control_xbx'. 'user_id from licences where licenceid in ('control'. 'controlspecialedition','controlseasonpass');

Comment

Blimey, the entitlement is strong on the net regarding next gen updates for current games.

Later gen games like LoU2, GoT, Halo Inf, etc, its probably built into the design philosophy from the start, its going to end up on the next platform.

For free though? Its a nice perk from 1st party & big pubs, but you shouldn’t be expecting it for free as the norm, people like Remedy need to make a buck to actually survive, otherwise they wont exist.

So year, your entitled to nothing, its a nice bonus thats all.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                    For free though? Its a nice perk from 1st party & big pubs, but you shouldn’t be expecting it for free as the norm
                    Wut?? Microsoft specifically stated that publishers and developers CANNOT charge for XBX upgrades.
                    Last edited by MartyG; 21-08-2020, 09:07.

Comment

I had a look at that article and it's more of a can and a should than a must.

Comment

The original Control wasn't via smart delivery, smart delivery titles are buy once, run anywhere and you absolutely should expect that to work. FOR FREE. The issue here is that in order to get that upgrade you have to buy the game again via the special edition, so all those most ardant fans who supported you are the ones getting screwed over.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                          Wut?? Microsoft specifically stated that publishers and developers CANNOT charge for XBX upgrades.
                          Right? You’ll simply find smaller devs and pubs wont bother then, unless its MS’s ai doing 100% of the work and nothing goes wrong.

Comment

I agree. Even before systems such as Smart Delivery were in place, games such as Castle Crashers Remastered were temporarily offered freely to owners of the previous generation version and, after that grace period, given a permanent legacy discount. I seem to remember similar promotions for LIMBO and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag but I couldn't find anything definitive online.

Comment

It's a very common practice on Steam - I've had upgrades gratis for loads of different titles including most recently Mafia Definitive Edition.

Comment

Just over six months into the next-gen we'll never hear of Smart Delivery again...till the following gen

Comment

Working...
                                X