No announcement yet.

Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So their overhauling the engine, redoing textures, improving frame rates ect and their supposed to do this for free? A lot of other games will be letting you carry on next gen because they have revenue streams via Micro-Transactions season passes ect Control doesn't. I'm more than happy to buy or upgrade if i want to play it again on next gen.

Think back to last gen did the Last of us come across as a free game or was it re-released at full price? yup it was full price as where many other remasters, again how is this any different.
    Last edited by Lebowski; 21-08-2020, 13:02.

Comment

Have they said they're doing any major rework to the game for the UE release? 505's explanation didn't seem to give any info that differentiated Control from any other game offering an upgrade. If Remedy has reworked it like a remaster then fair enough, if they're just going to release the PC version passed of as an updated version because the hardware runs it better by default then there's some slight of hand to it.

Comment

Which part are people struggling with here?

1) There IS a free XBX upgrade for Control if you buy the (cheaper) special edition
        2) If you were a sucker and supported 505 Games at launch by buying the more expensive version of Control & the seaon pass (or even if you paid for the more expensive version a couple of days ago) for a game that release less than 12 months ago, you don't get the upgrade
        3) 505 Games gave a piss poor excuse about "blockers" stopping them providing it to bracket 2), no mention of that blocker being not being able to charge for it

People in bracket 2 are annoyed
        Last edited by MartyG; 21-08-2020, 14:02.

Comment

Just seems like Internet drama to me. Nintendo have been doing this since the Nes and you don’t see this over Pikmin3 getting a full price rerelease, or yet another nsmb same game getting ported to another console for the 15th time at full price.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            Have they said they're doing any major rework to the game for the UE release? 505's explanation didn't seem to give any info that differentiated Control from any other game offering an upgrade. If Remedy has reworked it like a remaster then fair enough, if they're just going to release the PC version passed of as an updated version because the hardware runs it better by default then there's some slight of hand to it.
            it's never just a case of chucking a pc version on a console though their is work to be done to port it and get it running well, the way you put it is like a simple copy and paste job and it's never that simple. the fact remains we bought a game on the ps4 why should that entitle us to get it free again on a new system.

Should i be given the Steam version of death stranding or Horizon zero dawn for Free? its the same game after all with improved textures and frame rates, their not remasters after all with new game engines built form the ground up which was my point with The last of us's move form ps3 to 4 .

Comment

It's not a copy/paste job but I'd imagine a lot less work will go into it than in getting things like Horizon ported from PS4 to PC as they weren't designed with that intention in mind originally. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't say that current gen owners are entitled to the update for free but given that they're charging for what other devs are doing for free and the most likely to buy the game on the new systems are those who already played and loved the initial release, it just comes across as an attempt to nickel and dime existing fans where demand for the update exists rather than foster the audience and they don't want to admit that hence the over-vagueness of 505's response. Given the base game is backwards compatible anyway it shouldn't be this hard for 505 to justify the difference between the two options and why anyone should pay out again.

For me, the biggest mystery is why people would want to keep revisiting it in the first place. I'm happy to leave it to last gen

Comment

I mean this quote is quite telling.

While it is challenging bringing any game to next gen platforms, we quickly realised it was even more difficult to upgrade our current user base to next gen with full parity across platforms with our year-old game.

Every avenue we pursued, there was some form of blocker and those blockers meant that at least one group of players ended up being left out of the upgrade for various reasons.
                Pick your poison it’s either a Sony or MS store policy which is holding this one back, one of them is getting arsey about it and everyone else is now having to suffer.

Comment

but given that they're charging for what other devs are doing for free and the most likely to buy the game on the new systems are those who already played and loved the initial release,
                  A lot of dev's are doing stuff for free because they have other revenue streams, Take destiny it has a season pass plus a skin store witch brings in the majority of their revenue, bringing their game and all your content to next gen for free is a no brainier as it keeps that revenue stream open. 505 have no revenue stream with Control it doesn't have skins or season passes ect so its risky to port it to next gen and your game attracts no new players your stuck with the costs for updating for potentially zero revenue.

For me, the biggest mystery is why people would want to keep revisiting it in the first place. I'm happy to leave it to last gen
                  it's a widely regarded as a very good game but a bit of a sleeper hit that could potentially pick up a new audience or attract fans of it back for a better version on PS5 xboxxxsx. With the limited competition of a reduced launch line up They could of done well out of it but....... they have killed good will and probably wont now as the internet hates them for trying to make money at the expense of their legacy user-base.
                  Last edited by Lebowski; 21-08-2020, 14:55.

Comment

I am neutral in this but seeing the term 'entitled' gets to me. The industry started using that term years ago to describe their paying customers. The fans can be a pain but to alienate them, yet expect them to purchase a firm 's future products is also looking like being entitled on the other end.

It's pointless because I've seen consumers these days will keep on purchasing no matter what artform. There is a strong base that just buys buys buys no matter what the online discussion.

Comment

I think the main reason I'm annoyed is that I held off buying this game for ages and it was only when Remedy posted a tweet back in June that they would bring the game up to date on the new machines that I find I'd bite.

I assumed that would mean an upgrade path for the current game (as in smart delivery or similar). I never once assumed they'd re-release it with no way for current owners to upgrade.

So yeah I'm a little pissed especially as the explanation doesn't really explain anything. They deserve the flak.

Comment

Just over six months into the next-gen we'll never hear of Smart Delivery again...till the following gen
                        Yep. As is the case here, Sony have killed it by not offering the same setup.

Comment

Here's my problem.

I bought Control and the Season Pass for about £30 combined in a recent sale. This is the RRP of this new version that 505 are releasing so why can't I upgrade to the next-gen version?

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                            Here's my problem.

I bought Control and the Season Pass for about £30 combined in a recent sale. This is the RRP of this new version that 505 are releasing so why can't I upgrade to the next-gen version?
                            Yep same.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                              Yep. As is the case here, Sony have killed it by not offering the same setup.
                              But they have offered the same setup, so long as you weren't a mug and bought the game when it launched.

Comment

Working...
                              X