Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    This is a major major **** up. It proves that the 'we can't do an upgrade' stance they took was utter bull.

Comment

What this essentially means is that both the developer and the publisher did actually have the ability to upgrade certain versions of Control all along, but they claimed they didn't in a recent blog post
      We already knew this was utter BS weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
        This is a major major **** up. It proves that the 'we can't do an upgrade' stance they took was utter bull.
        Honestly I think they should've just told the truth.

"The game was well reviewed but didn't sell well, so we're kinda hoping those of you who bought it and liked it will pay more to have it on PS5."

Comment

At the least not much will be missed. Months of seeing videos of Control running with and without ray tracing and to be honest the difference still seems minimal or not worth the fuss.

Comment

So I just noticed even though the Ultimate edition has been pushed back to 2021 its currently been sliced to 50% off on the MS store.

I guess they've realised no-one wants to buy it!

Comment

Perhaps showing another example of why the 60fps dream won't last for too long in the new generation

Comment

Wonder if there will be option to upgrade to this from the version available on Game Pass

Comment

Originally posted by dazza_cole View Post
                  Wonder if there will be option to upgrade to this from the version available on Game Pass
                  Nope but the ultimate edition is already available and is on sale right now for £17 (normally £35) so basically buy it now and it'll get upgraded in February.

Comment

This was such a bizarre game at launch it got ok to decent reviews nothing that special and then all of sudden it was appearing on game of the year lists, not played much of it but I did like what I have but just wondered if sites underscored it perhaps

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                      This was such a bizarre game at launch it got ok to decent reviews nothing that special and then all of sudden it was appearing on game of the year lists, not played much of it but I did like what I have but just wondered if sites underscored it perhaps
                      Yeah I dunno. I've got it ready to go when it launches properly for next gen next year. Until then it's in my backlog of shame...

At least they've dropped the price in sales to encourage upgrades.

Comment

To me the destruction was something I would love to see more of in next gen rather than fancy textures or rtx

Comment

To me Control was another really good example of why you're best off waiting for games now. In part because it was a game pushing this last-gen to it's limits. But also because of some of the anti-consumer stunts Remedy pulled to maximise profits at all costs (i.e. EGS timed-exclusivity, PS Now deal and the 'Ultimate' edition debacle).

I also think it's a very marmite game, like The Last of Us. It's a 84 on Open-Critic so it scored very well and then those reviewers considered it as GOTY material. For me it was good, but not great. Under-baked in a few key areas of core gameplay and progression. But unique story and setting which was very memorable. Worth playing though.

I played it on PS Now earlier this year and I've never seen a game crash my PS4 Pro as much as Control. I don't think there's anything special about my console because before Control I can't remember any crashes to the OS. And even since then It can play God of War, Divinity:Original Sin or other games for hours on end without interruption. Control, mostly at those save/fast travel points, would cause the game to reset to the OS.

It's one I might revisit in a few years on a next-gen machine but I'm not in any hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                            To me Control was another really good example of why you're best off waiting for games now. In part because it was a game pushing this last-gen to it's limits. But also because of some of the anti-consumer stunts Remedy pulled to maximise profits at all costs (i.e. EGS timed-exclusivity, PS Now deal and the 'Ultimate' edition debacle).

I also think it's a very marmite game, like The Last of Us. It's a 84 on Open-Critic so it scored very well and then those reviewers considered it as GOTY material. For me it was good, but not great. Under-baked in a few key areas of core gameplay and progression. But unique story and setting which was very memorable. Worth playing though.

I played it on PS Now earlier this year and I've never seen a game crash my PS4 Pro as much as Control. I don't think there's anything special about my console because before Control I can't remember any crashes to the OS. And even since then It can play God of War, Divinity:Original Sin or other games for hours on end without interruption. Control, mostly at those save/fast travel points, would cause the game to reset to the OS.

It's one I might revisit in a few years on a next-gen machine but I'm not in any hurry.
                            that's bizarre i finished it and a lot of the side missions and didn't have any crash issues,

I think whats so good about control is the world it builds around you, the fact that the agency your exploring is so full of oddities and breaks in reality really adds to the game massively its world dose a massive amount of the story telling by just being so broken and odd on top of this i loved that the objects of power system is really clever

i love the lore behind these objects and they really add to the world building take the floppy disk that lets you move objects with your mind that the item you get has a history thats explained in game is brilliant

The Floppy Disk originally contained the launch codes for Soviet Union nuclear missiles reserved for use against a foreign power, and was kept at a military base. The CIA stole the disk in the 1970s and brought it to the United States, where it suddenly began throwing computational hardware at the decoding team. A CIA informant notified the Federal Bureau of Control, and the Disk was requisitioned by agents the next day on March 11, 1974. The FBC experimented with the Floppy Disk and determined it to be an Object of Power, binding it to an unknown parautilitarian for experimental purposes. According to Casper Darling, the Disk became a receptacle for paranatural energies due to personifying archetypes of the Cold War-era collective unconscious.
                            Last edited by Lebowski; 23-12-2020, 10:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                              that's bizarre i finished it and a lot of the side missions and didn't have any crash issues
                              Maybe your console is an object of power...

Control was infamous for being a mess at launch, particularly on base machines, and you only have to google it to see numerous reports of crashes and frame-rate problems (even now). It was covered pretty extensively by the likes of Digital Foundry etc. Of course that doesn't mean everyone had the same problems and indeed everyone has different tolerances to frame-rate fluctuations.

I feel Control is in that category of late-gen games, like Borderlands 3 (*cough* Cyberpunk) that push the old-gen to their limits. It should be a nicer experience on Xbox Series and PS5 with the new version, and probably is mostly there on PC already.
                              Last edited by Digfox; 23-12-2020, 18:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                                Maybe your console is an object of power...

Control was infamous for being a mess at launch, particularly on base machines, and you only have to google it to see numerous reports of crashes and frame-rate problems (even now). It was covered pretty extensively by the likes of Digital Foundry etc. Of course that doesn't mean everyone had the same problems and indeed everyone has different tolerances to frame-rate fluctuations.

I feel Control is in that category of late-gen games, like Borderlands 3 (*cough* Cyberpunk) that push the old-gen to their limits. It should be a nicer experience on Xbox Series and PS5 with the new version, and probably is mostly there on PC already.
                                I played it really late so it was likely fixed mostly, it had is fair share of frame rate issues but no hard crashes

Comment

Working...
                                X