No announcement yet.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genuine questions: Where does Smash go from here? What more can possibly be done to it?

I would argue that the very fact this has been called "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" as opposed to "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch" or whatever would suggest that Sakurai-san and co. at Nintendo are well aware that the franchise is pretty much at its peak now, especially in terms of the fanservice which is obviously the USP here.

Comment

They can add that character you like. It's basically the Funko Pop of fighting games now. Just chuck more IP at it and there will be people to buy it.

Comment

I feel like Smash is at the same point as Mario Kart where they're in a solid place but the key to their future lies with the DLC Mario Kart did. Mario Kart 9 would be great just by having cross franchise racers from the off along with tracks etc to break away from the Mario settings.

Smash, to move away from the existing character choices as though Ultimate is a send off. There's so many other Nintendo characters they could use and choices for backgrounds etc but the series has found itself getting into a very repetitive line of thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
          Genuine questions: Where does Smash go from here? What more can possibly be done to it?
          More realistic graphics.

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          but the series has found itself getting into a very repetitive line of thought.
          This is a good thing when it comes to fighting games. When it comes to SF, VF or Tekken people want more of the same - not re-inventions. This is why SF had so many spin-offs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            They can add that character you like. It's basically the Funko Pop of fighting games now. Just chuck more IP at it and there will be people to buy it.
            If we're honest, they probably can't just add more characters - everybody relevant from the Nintendo universe is already there and they would surely have to be at a point where trademark rights have to be proving to be a genuine obstacle to adding more third-party characters. And that's discounting that the novelty wears off at some point, surely?

That said, I'm kinda surprised that everybody's favourite indie gaming slut poster-child Shovel Knight isn't in the roster from the off but DLC could always fix that I guess.
            Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 13-06-2018, 11:46.

Comment

[MENTION=1482]dataDave[/MENTION] More realistic graphics will almost certainly be Smash's shark-jumping moment.

Comment

Until Nintendo makes an entry with 4x4 from Stunt Race FX as a playable fighter they still have room for characters, if Sega can do it with a Daytona car...

Smash can easily have new fighters, there's so many existing ones they could cull

Comment

Smash can easily have new fighters
                  Like who? Name them, because I think we all know that at best they would be more Fire Emblem "beautiful people with huge swords" characters (waiting for the backlash from that last sentence! )

I don't think culling characters is an option - bringing back the Ice Climbers, Wolf O'Donnell and Solid Snake shows that imo.

Comment

there's so many existing ones they could cull
                    Not without upsetting at least a million people there isn't.

Comment

Bowsers' kids? Are they in it? What about the Wabbit thing from NSMB? Or they could just get stuff from other publishers again. The full cast of Cool Boarders perhaps.

Comment

if Sega can do it with a Daytona car...
                        Only they didn't 'do it', really. That game sold poorly, the Saturn failed, and as a result Sega died. I think it's probably best to leave out the Stunt Race crew.

They could throw in some ARMS fighters, at least. They've not even bothered with any Amiibo for that game.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                          Bowsers' kids? Are they in it? What about the Wabbit thing from NSMB? Or they could just get stuff from other publishers again. The full cast of Cool Boarders perhaps.
                          Bowser's Koopalings are all selectable skins for Bowser Jr., which is probably the right way to do it.

Nabbit would probably be better as a trophy or an Assist at best, no?

Cool Boarders? And ignore the 1080/WaveRace crew??
                          Even then, they're a bit too real-life for Smash, surely?

Comment

Needs more Waluigi and Toad.

Comment

Plenty of characters who could be added. Everyone who is in MK* who isn't already in Smash Bros. Those Rabbid things. More Square FF characters**, Kratos from GoW***, the Ape Escape apes and the Monkey Ball monkeys (are they in it already? They should be). Monkeys in general. Everyone from Kingdom Hearts. Phoenix Wright and his buddies. Professor Layton. Deckard from Blade Runner. One of the Belmonts from Castlevania. All of the Belmonts from Castlevania. The Ouendan crew. Somebody from some zombie game, probably doesn't matter who as long as their special moves involve zombies - maybe a RE character****

I could go on. They really would never run out of characters to add. Sure, some would be tricky to negotiate but there are plenty more that won't be. If they could get Snake and Cloud in there, they can get others and keep on doing it.

*Mario Kart, although you could include Mortal Kombat if you wanted.

**Final Fantasy, although if you want the Fantastic Four then just knock yourself out.

***God of War, although if they can negotiate some characters from Gears of War then why not?

****Resident Evil, although if you think a character from your religion education class could fit then that's worth a shot too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                Plenty of characters who could be added. Everyone who is in MK* who isn't already in Smash Bros. Those Rabbid things. More Square FF characters**, Kratos from GoW***, the Ape Escape apes and the Monkey Ball monkeys (are they in it already? They should be). Monkeys in general. Everyone from Kingdom Hearts. Phoenix Wright and his buddies. Professor Layton. Deckard from Blade Runner. One of the Belmonts from Castlevania. All of the Belmonts from Castlevania. The Ouendan crew. Somebody from some zombie game, probably doesn't matter who as long as their special moves involve zombies - maybe a RE character****

I could go on. They really would never run out of characters to add. Sure, some would be tricky to negotiate but there are plenty more that won't be. If they could get Snake and Cloud in there, they can get others and keep on doing it.

*Mario Kart, although you could include Mortal Kombat if you wanted.

**Final Fantasy, although if you want the Fantastic Four then just knock yourself out.

***God of War, although if they can negotiate some characters from Gears of War then why not?

****Resident Evil, although if you think a character from your religion education class could fit then that's worth a shot too.
                                Don't see any of it, in all honestly. They all sound underwhelming and, as you've pointed out, unlikely. Kratos being a total non-starter for instance.

Phoenix Wright in a beat-em-up was done in MvC3/UMvC3 and he was garbage. Thanks but no thanks.

Castlevania characters would be cool but I think Konami have killed the franchise.

Rabbids could work, I guess. But it's still a meh idea imo.

Sorry, I just happen to think that anybody worthwhile that Nintendo wanted in Smash is now in. DLC could obviously change that though.
                                Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 13-06-2018, 12:21.

Comment

Working...
                                X