Daemon X Machina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daemon X Machina

Might not be a proper Armored Core, but mechas are mechas and therefore the game is worth attention.

My most promising title from Ninty this E3

Comment

Same. Hopefully it plays as well as it looks.

Comment

I really hope the music in the trailer isn't representative of whats in the game.

Comment

Not sure if that link works, but here's the original link:
           「E3 2018」で発表された「DAEMON X MACHINA」は,プロデューサーを佃 健一郎氏が,メカニカルコンセプトデザインを河森正治氏が務めるNintendo Switch向けメカアクションだ。このお2人に,本作の謎多き世界観や設定,“ゲームにおけるメカニカルデザイン”といった貴重な話を聞いたので,その模様をお届けしよう。

Comment

Tried the demo of this tonight, and if I'm honest, I'm mixed about it.

I love Armored Core, as well as FROM's other robot titles like Another Century's Episode, and as this certainly has visual cues reminiscent of the Armored Core series, I was excited when we saw it on the Nintendo Direct at which it was first shown off (for an instant I thought it might've been a highly stylised trailer for AC6).

However, if I'm to guess, I think it's the victim of a "bad demo" situation. The gameplay feels really slow, clunky, and lacking in flow, especially compared to the trailers we've seen.

The AC games have this... A bit. Even Zone of Enders had it. You start off with quite a rudimentary set of abilities/components and your robot becomes faster, nimbler, and overall more powerful the more you play. This is pretty typical videogame stuff. Hell, I'm playing the original Kingdom Hearts right now and that game becomes soooo much more playable when you can do a few baseline things that are locked at the start (jump higher, glide, cure yourself...). However, that means you don't produce a demo of this starting experience unless it has something you're confident will sell the game.

Some say it's unfair to judge a game on the strengths and weaknesses of a demo, but I've always disagreed with that - as that's what I feel a demo is for - and in this case, I think they've made a mistake in putting out a demo that's honestly a bit half-baked.

Comment

'Daemon X Machina' Will Be Getting A Special Controller And Support Co-Operative Multiplayer

Daemon X Machina’ on the Switch will be getting a special controller from Hori.

"While I wasn’t expecting something like this, Daemon X Machina will be receiving its own special controller for the Switch made by Hori.

Considering that Daemon X Machina doesn’t really have any kind of special bespoke mechanics, especially regarding looking and moving, I wasn’t prepared for the game getting its own controller.

However, that’s exactly what Hori is offering (shown above) and it looks quite good. Apart from the stylistic side to it, with the red analog sticks and highlighted X button, the interesting part to this controller is an assignable button underneath.

That’s a nice addition and considering that games like Armored Core often had very complex inputs, this kind of thing could be quite useful in Daemon X Machina.

The other big thing is that it is clear that co-operative multiplayer will be a big part of this game, with another Tree House gameplay walkthrough (shown below) going into quite a bit of detail about the whole setup.

The really interesting thing here is that competitive multiplayer will be added as an updated to Daemon X Machina at a later date.

That is something I feel is a wise choice, as this is a new mecha gaming series and you want to bring in and include new players into this obviously complex world.

The characterization is a big part of this too, as well as the emotes and what looks like a lovable dog in the hub area. Having competitive multiplayer from the start would potentially hamper that aspect of the community and I am very glad that it will be added in later on.

Obviously, I loved the competitive aspects of the older Armored Core games and I am glad that Daemon X Machina will eventually support that, but for now, I just want to see this game build up its fanbase.

I also genuinely think that having this game on the Switch has really opened up people to picking up and playing a new mecha game. The genre tends to have a reputation for being impenetrable and having it on the inherently welcoming Switch is actually something that I hope will make a difference here.

Daemon X Machina is released for the Switch on September 13."

Comment

I just hope that they secure a good, stable framerate. The trailer's was diabolical, but that could have been a stylistic choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  I just hope that they secure a good, stable framerate. The trailer's was diabolical, but that could have been a stylistic choice.
                  Who knows? They've tried to make improvements based on feedback, though.

The Team On 'Daemon X Machina' Listened To All Our Feedback And The Game Now Looks Great

"Since we had the demo for Daemon X Machina on the Switch, the team on the game has been receptive and busy implementing the feedback of players. The updated version of the game looks even better as a result and will be released later this year.

Like with the other games shown in the recent Nintendo Direct, Daemon X Machina has come a long way since they released the Prototype Missions demo.

Mainly because the team listened to all the feedback from players about the game. So fixing the issues with hard boundaries, properly marking enemies and indicating the direction of damage among other things. You also have a new optional motion control system.

The funny thing for me though is that Daemon X Machina is very clearly inspired by the classic Armored Core games, some of which the producer of this game Kenichiro Tsukuda worked on.

So in the pretty thorough Tree House playthrough (shown below), it’s a bit strange to not have Armored Core mentioned in any way, especially when how blatantly obvious the influences are.

One of the big deviations with Daemon X Machina over Armored Core though is how it has more characterization. This was actually a failing of the older Armored Core games and the new character design by Yusuke Kozaki look really great here.

Talking of designs, the mecha in Daemon X Machina are also designed by the veteran mecha designer Shoji Kawamori, who was also a formative figure in the original Armored Core games.

Thankfully, the Switch is able to leverage Kawamori’s designs to a greater degree, which helps to give Daemon X Machina a refreshing aesthetic.

Personally, I am just glad we have what looks like a proper mecha game on the way again. Tsukuda worked on some of the best Armored Core games ever made and Kawamori has defined much of modern mecha design, both in anime and games, so Daemon X Machina looks like it will be decent."

Comment

Hmmm, that video gets really choppy :unsure:

Comment

Strap yourself into a fully-customisable Arsenal and prepare for explosive, all-guns-blazing mech action in DAEMON X MACHINA, only on Nintendo Switch.

Comment

Comment

How is the performance? I'm just concerned. The original demo was quite choppy in performance, and parts of the trailer in the Direct were too.

Comment

FFS, another one I have to try.

#toomanygames #firstworldproblems

Comment

‘Daemon X Machina’ Review: Ignore The Casuals, This Is A Proper Mecha Game

"Put simply, Daemon X Machina takes much of what made the Armored Core series work but goes its own way to make something new. As a standalone mecha gaming series then, Daemon X Machina has gotten off to a solid start, but it needs more work on the missions and story. It’s not as strict or as unforgiving as many of the Armored Core games but I think there is definitely room for a mecha game like this. So if you like to play with nicely designed mecha packed full of weapons and destroy all kinds of robotic enemies, then Daemon X Machina does a good job letting you do just that. So ignore the more casual players out there and try this out, as this is a proper mecha game."

Comment

Working...
                              X