Dead or Alive 6 (PS4, PC, XBO) [15/2/19]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead or Alive 6 (PS4, PC, XBO) [15/2/19]

Following the announcement around E3, and the smaller announcement that Tecmo Koei are aiming to tone down the sexual elements of the franchise, IGN have a 6-minute video of gameplay:

It looks like DoA, I suppose? The movement/animation seems very similar to 2 and all the titles since.

Also, the sexualisation comments are interesting because I'm not certain sticking Kasumi in a skin-tight leather catsuit makes things less sexual.

Either way, looks like it'll play as well as the prior games. I'm curious to know if there are any gameplay innovations.
    Last edited by Asura; 10-09-2018, 13:57.

In the run up to DOA5's release they were saying the same things with their "I'm a fighter" stuff, trying to make the characters out to be battle hardened warriors instead of dress up barbie dolls. Then they released £500 worth of clothing DLC. This is probably to avoid bad press before the game launches.

SJW's will probably target this stuff instead

Comment

If you want to know if they've changed their opinions on the sexualisation of the characters... Google the latest update for DOA3X on PC. Maybe not at work though.

Comment

I'm waiting to know if Tina is going to be in the game. She's my favourite DoA character; I always liked her moveset.

Comment

JIGGLE PHYSICS ASIDE, DEAD OR ALIVE 6 LOOKS & FEELS FANTASTIC

"On the surface, DoA6 doesn’t seem too different. The controls haven’t changed, the one-on-one fighting is still virtually the same, and the action is still hard-hitting. However, the controls feel much tighter and more responsive than before, combos flowing out of me like nothing. Using the environments works much easier as well, particularly in the Fight Club-esque stage where bystanders push the fighters back into the arena after a hit.

It’s Not All About The Jiggle Physics
          I can’t say enough about the graphical upgrades DoA6 has made, from the character models to the wear and tear they suffer during a fight. Seeing sweat shine in the lights above a darkened alley or taking in the majesty of a palatial fighting arena has impressed me both times I’ve played the game. Team Ninja’s improvements to DoA’s overall aesthetic are impressive, the sky is clearly the limit for this next installment.

The game also moves incredibly well, each animation looking crisp and clean. The close-ups on an opponent’s face while he winces in pain after a big shot are awesome, delivering a rush of adrenaline up my spine whenever I see it. I originally thought that might be something I’d tire of over time, but in two demos now I’ve loved it.

Let’s get into the new fighters a little bit, as this new demo added a returning DoA character as well as a brand new face. Diego is the first-timer, and he incorporates a rough-and-tumble street fighting form into his moveset. He’s a bit of a grappler, with some pretty unique grabs in his arsenal, but solid striking and the occasional use of his head make him stand out. At one point he unleashed a devastating combo with Diego that had both players gasping. I’m excited to get more hands-on time with him at launch.

The returning DoA cast member is Rig, Taekwondo aficionado and total jerk from the previous game. Being adept in Taekwondo means Rig is best with his feet, unleashing a barrage of kicks that would make Hwoarang from Tekken jealous. Rig will be best suited for the flashy players looking to impress bystanders, and he’s an agile character with quick kicks and a few flips for good measure.

Still Room For Improvement
          This demo did a great job of showing off the two new characters, but there are still some areas to address before the game fully launches. Despite the cleaner controls I mentioned earlier a few moves seem to lag in the heat of battle. Some combos would come out at different speeds during different points of the match, and I’m not certain if it was due to an issue with responsiveness or if the controller itself was beginning to malfunction. Balancing should take care of these problems, but addressing them is paramount.

In two different hands-on demos Dead or Alive 6 has left me wanting more, its fast-paced fighting making quite a first (and second) impression. Team Ninja’s direction in this new game is clearly sound, and while a few technical tweaks need to be made the action is intense and the new visual systems amaze me every time I see them. 2019 seems like it’s so far away now that I have Dead or Alive 6 to anticipate, I’m looking forward to entering the arena as soon as I can."

Comment

Hopefully they don't wait too long to announce the features of the game, DOA5's dry teat milking has left me very sceptical about this new game release philosophy

Comment

Has been confirmed for February 15th, 2019.

Comment

Nyotengu is now a preorder bonus, and Phase-4 is available in the Deluxe edition.

Comment

Ayane getting a reveal for TGS was a given. I can't say I'm too excited for Marie Rose and Honoka's return though (I'd gave thought Team Ninja would have aged them a little. Plus I thought they'd moved beyond young-looking characters with ridiculous proportions).

Its good to know the release date for it. I'll probably pick it up if I can get it for a good price (it does look similar to the last one but that's probably a compliment to the previous entry).

Comment

*Looks at release preorder/deluxe set up*

Well, I won't be going out my way for this one. That strategy alone tells you Ninja's talk is pure BS and the old business model is looming in the shadows

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      *Looks at release preorder/deluxe set up*
                      Yeah I had high hopes for this after what has happened with Soul Calibur.

Comment

Although it does suck a bit that certain characters are being dangled behind pre-order/deluxe edition orders I can live with it if its the characters that were added later into DOA5's life cycle (they're alright to play as but Marie Rose and Honoka are a reminder of what the series used to be and I thought Team Ninja had taken steps to move away from that with the last installment).

Although its quite selfish to say, Leifang and Jann Lee are in the base roster so that's me sorted. I'm looking forward to the other new faces that Team Ninja is going to add to the game (there's got to be at least one new female to balance out the already unveiled street brawler, Diego).

Comment

One, or more, of the girls from Venus Vacation are bound to show up I think. There were 3 new ones?

Comment

They might do but I'd prefer that Team Ninja stay away from those younger looking characters and concentrate on expanding the existing roster with new characters that would fit in well like Diego.

I reckon we'll get the reveal of a new female character at some point (if not at TGS then within the month after that). Now I'm wondering what fighting style she'll utilise though? Capoeira or some dance-like martial art perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                            X