Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charles should get in touch, should be able to get at least a monkey for us lot.

Comment

The good news for them is that the staff team is staying

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        https://www.videogameschronicle.com/...-4-55-million/
        Fascinating move as the owner of Resetera has sold the site to Moba Network for $4.5m

Moba is an esports based company that is just three years old and though I've no idea of the behind the scenes aspects it just feels odd to pay so much in 2021 for a site that is explicitly a gaming forum only. Not only that but the site is a four years old Copy/Paste job of the 22 year old NeoGaf born of a community reaction to a single incident. The idea of paying so much in this day and age for a site that is very much fighting against the dying of the light and not only has an identikit site available but is based on a community that has proven itself capable of up, leaving and relaunching quickly if the tide turns is just... well, hats off to the old owner!
        Everything these days is grossly overvalued to the point its just a madness everyone excepts. I mean whats the revenue of Era to warrant this price tag? As the value of a company (should) be based off its revenue and profits.

Comment

Ad revenue, I guess. Plus RE and NG are pretty famous and the domain name should be quite profitable. NeoGaf even got their logo in one Scribblenauts.

Comment

This is purely fluff lifted from GAF but given the similarity and shared userbase between the two sites:

Era has sold for the equivalent of around $82 per user, it generates around $12 per user per year. It is also banning users at a higher rate than it's bringing in new users so would take around seven years to return investment.

The crux seems to be that despite that they've already been promised - change is definitely coming to Era, especially as the new owners statement already states the reasoning for the buyout is that they believe it can be monetised via ads etc much more heavily

Comment

I've gone back to check Era now the price tag is out in the news... yeah, you could say the mood has changed...

Comment

Total pie in the sky figures.

Comment

Today is the day that I've ever most read the word Hustle

Comment

Fuji Television announced on Twitter that Game Center CX will have its host Shinya Arino play The Earth Defense Force in the upcoming 325th episode. This will be the first regular PlayStation 2 title on the long-running retro gaming TV show, which has been airing since 2003.

Game Center CX has a self-imposed rule to cover games from platforms that have been released in Japan for at least 20 years. In 2021, it officially added the PlayStation 2, Nintendo GameCube, and Game Boy Advance to the lineup.
                    EDF! EDF! EDF!

Comment

Always felt that would happen with Resetera.

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                      18 years... we're at a point now where I'm nostalgic for those early episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                        Always felt that would happen with Resetera.

Yep, it's always been off kilter like it didn't quite match up with the image it wanted to project, likely because of its GAF origins. My current fave is some of the volunteer staffers saying rules/policies etc won't change because if they do they'll walk and the community will leave with them to form a new forum.

Yeah... I foresee some really disappointed egos down the line when it turns out they can't magic up a fourth incarnation of the site out of thin air

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                          Yep, it's always been off kilter like it didn't quite match up with the image it wanted to project, likely because of its GAF origins. My current fave is some of the volunteer staffers saying rules/policies etc won't change because if they do they'll walk and the community will leave with them to form a new forum.

Yeah... I foresee some really disappointed egos down the line when it turns out they can't magic up a fourth incarnation of the site out of thin air
                          I just look at what happened with NintendoAge and yeah... I don't have high hopes.

-edit-
                          I remember the mad scramble when GAF was imploding, all of these successor sites knew they were in for a bounty if they became the replacement. It all felt a bit off-putting at the time. The anger doesn't seem as extreme here so I guess it'll plod along until it fizzles out or something happens that causes a migration with an ever smaller userbase.
                          Last edited by Cepp; 14-10-2021, 21:27.

Comment

The only winner here is the owner of era who’s mugged the purchasers off for something with no actual value.

Comment

Fan made and presumably soon to recieve a shut down notice, Banjo Kazooie Remastered

Comment

The mods have been missing out on a trick! One of Era's has decided if the site owner can do it so can they!

EDIT - After the inevitable blowout an update has been issued saying the above will be donated to a Brazilian charity. Could well have been the intention all along but the genie is out the bottle again.

Last edited by Neon Ignition; 15-10-2021, 11:34.

Comment

Working...
                                X