This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    However, for the Switch, I'm not so sure...
    Their financial report briefing in 2017 confirmed this (when I went searching for it): https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170201_2e.pdf

The manufacturer’s suggested retail price in Japan is 29,980 yen. The manufacturer’s suggested retail price in the U.S. is
    $299.99. As we have stated before, unlike Wii U, the Nintendo Switch price point was set to ensure that the hardware is not basically sold at a loss.
    Although I sense there has been a gradual shift in the size of the loss on hardware and/or duration of that initial loss on hardware with all the machines of this generation where manufacturers spent less on R&D, custom chips and so forth.
    Last edited by Digfox; 09-03-2020, 13:46.

Comment

Comment

The MARIO Lego looks fricken fantastic

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          Does 50m Switch sales to Nintendo seem a success compared to 87m 3DS/WiiU combined? I know attach rates etc make a difference as a factor but it's definitely something I'm curious about as comparing generations of Nintendo hardware the Switch could still be successful yet represent a decline in overall units sold for Nintendo.
          Not being funny, but it feels like you're literally the only one who is consistently trying to parrot this "The Switch is actually a failure" line when pretty much all the evidence is to the contrary. I mean, you're even trying to piggyback the sales figures of the dismal Wii U onto the 3DS, ffs!

The Wii U was a massive flop, no two ways about it. Less than 15m sold worldwide meant that Nintendo obviously had a low bar to hurdle with the Switch. Whether you like it or not (and I'm a guy who dearly wishes that Nintendo would return to traditional powerful console hardware making a la NES/SNES/N64/GC, etc.), yes, over 50m units sold makes the Switch a massive success for Nintendo. It cannot possibly represent a decline in hardware sales for Nintendo if it has comprehensively outsold the Wii U before it.
          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 12-03-2020, 16:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
            Not being funny, but it feels like you're literally the only one who is consistently trying to parrot this "The Switch is actually a failure" line when pretty much all the evidence is to the contrary. I mean, you're even trying to piggyback the sales figures of the dismal Wii U onto the 3DS, ffs!
            Tbf I think [MENTION=345]Neon Ignition[/MENTION] is simply comparing total sales of hardware now that Nintendo is making one hybrid console rather than separate home and handheld consoles. I don't think that anyone would argue that the Switch isn't a success.

It wasn't that long ago on this forum that you got shot down for suggesting that the console market (or has) contracted. Or even that Xbox One wasn't selling anywhere near as well as Xbox 360...

Analysis of financials isn't indicative or someone's feeling towards something. I personally really like the Wii U.

Comment

Even though the hardware only did 15M they still sold over 100M of their own games on it. That must have swung huge profits, despite not disrupting the market like their modern hardware generally does.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                Tbf I think [MENTION=345]Neon Ignition[/MENTION] is simply comparing total sales of hardware now that Nintendo is making one hybrid console rather than separate home and handheld consoles. I don't think that anyone would argue that the Switch isn't a success.

It wasn't that long ago on this forum that you got shot down for suggesting that the console market (or has) contracted. Or even that Xbox One wasn't selling anywhere near as well as Xbox 360...

Analysis of financials isn't indicative or someone's feeling towards something. I personally really like the Wii U.
                In fairness, I do believe (cba to trawl back/the great forum wipe might have deleted my past posts) that my original argument was that I didn't think the PS4 and XB1 would replicate PS3/360 sales. Not sure that I was totally shot down for it but yeah, i'm sure many obviously disagreed. I have no qualms admitting that I was wrong about PS4 (hell, I eventually purchased one!), whereas who truly knows about XB1 seeing as MS don't release the figures anymore?

I have two Wii Us in my house so I don't exactly hate the machine either, but it commercially bombed - Nintendo couldn't give them away - and there's nothing wrong with stating that. It's Nintendo worst-performing home console and that's a fact.

It's just that I've seen Neon state before that the Switch couldn't be a success unless it sold 100m worldwide. Sorry, but for me that is nonsense and, again, I'm somebody who would rather Nintendo made a genuine effort to compete with MS & Sony.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                  Even though the hardware only did 15M they still sold over 100M of their own games on it. That must have swung huge profits, despite not disrupting the market like their modern hardware generally does.
                  Was it profitable though? Hmmm. I'm not sure it was. I don't think software attach rates for Wii U hardware were all that high, and it's worth remembering that Nintendo ran plenty of promos for Wii U where they were essentially giving away software for it - I benefitted from this as I got my Wii U with MK8 and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and also got freebies like SSB4 and Mario Tennis Power Smash.

Nintendo's sales projections for Wii U during that period also changed constantly in that they got lower and lower. I don't think Nintendo ever hit a sales target for Wii U hardware once, unless I'm mistaken?

I feel like the Wii U might have broken even at best (and even that might be a stretch tbh). Amiibo and 3DS were clearly the moneyspinners for Nintendo that generation.
                  Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 13-03-2020, 08:40.

Comment

In fairness, I do believe (cba to trawl back/the great forum wipe might have deleted my past posts) that my original argument was that I didn't think the PS4 and XB1 would replicate PS3/360 sales. Not sure that I was totally shot down for it but yeah, i'm sure many obviously disagreed. I have no qualms admitting that I was wrong about PS4 (hell, I eventually purchased one!), whereas who truly knows about XB1 seeing as MS don't release the figures anymore?.
                    Apologies I wasn't singling you out, or any individual on here, more of a general point. Certainly there were a few debates and unfortunately some lost to the forum wipe. The fact Microsoft don't release the figures for hardware anymore alone proves how bad the figures got for them (in comparison to Sony).

I think Neon is just comparing Nintendo's hardware figures. Obviously Nintendo will be stronger in some areas now (i.e. Switch vs Wii U/3DS); higher margins on hardware, larger revenue share from increase digital purchases and subscriptions.

Comment

Yep, I wasn't in anyway making out the Switch is a sales failure just musing how it translates to Nintendo because it has to be big factor in how they assess their current and future plans. Like, the system is a hit but they're a long way from their Wii/DS mega hit days. The WiiU bombed but the 3DS carried them through. Nintendo doesn't have that luxury anymore as they're depending on one hardware device instead of two now and that one hardware has to compensate for the loss of an entire line sales wise.

That and Nintendo has to project its future sales and its successor for which they have a spotty history when it comes to making a success of successor machines. Now, many would say but it's really a handheld where Nintendo shines stronger which is true but that was a shrinking market hence all the exits by companies from it meaning it's not necessarily how they should proceed with future machines either. All in all it helps emphasise the focus on content to keep driving high sales which in turn makes the wall of silence that bit more puzzling too.

So yeah, Switch is definitely a success taken in isolation but where the PS4 say has been successful enough to surpass the userbase units of PS3/Vita I'm curious as to whether Nintendo looks at Switch internally and is confident it's a success in terms of their wider business or if they feel it needs to go further.
                      Last edited by Neon Ignition; 12-03-2020, 21:19.

Comment

Was it profitable though? Hmmm. I'm not sure it was. I don't think software attach rates for Wii U hardware were all that high, and it's worth remembering that Nintendo ran plenty of promos for Wii U where they were essentially giving away software for it - I benefited from this as I got my Wii U with MK8 and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and also got freebies like SSB4 and Mario Tennis Power Smash.

Nintendo's sales projections for Wii U during that period also changed constantly in that they got lower and lower. I don't think Nintendo ever hit a sales target for Wii U hardware once, unless I'm mistaken?

I feel like the Wii U might have broken even at best (and even that might be a stretch tbh). Amiibo and 3DS were clearly the moneyspinners for Nintendo that generation.
                        Can’t find the numbers but i’m pretty sure even at the poor 15m consoles, the wiiU was actually profitable in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                          Can’t find the numbers but i’m pretty sure even at the poor 15m consoles, the wiiU was actually profitable in the end.
                          If that actually was the case then that would be arguably Nintendo's biggest achievement.

I'll remain highly sceptical about Wii U profitability until somebody comes with figures that prove it.

Comment

It all came down to the attach rate in the end with wiiU, Nintendo kept a steady stream of quality titles coming out and enjoyed very good attach rates per console.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                              It all came down to the attach rate in the end with wiiU, Nintendo kept a steady stream of quality titles coming out and enjoyed very good attach rates per console.
                              I agree with you about quality of first-party titles on Wii U, especially at the expense of quantity.

But again, I don't believe that the Wii U software attach rate was great. I don't believe that it was good enough to turn a profit for Nintendo in the face of failing hardware with a tiny userbase. It doesn't add up to me, but happy to be proven wrong if someone has the actual numbers.
                              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 13-03-2020, 08:35.

Comment

Fights in Tight Spaces.
                                This looks ace!

Comment

Working...
                                X