This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It wasn't really though, was it.

You could argue that without the internet that these idiots would be left in isolation in order to develop into proper psychos. Look at the Bjork stalker, for instance. If he'd acted like that publicly online he could have potentially been shut down before doing any harm (to himself, especially).

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
      Man, people are so f-ing dumb. It's just a character.
      You'd think but then you get people like Angryjoe on youtube who gets massively worked up by this game and behaves like an entitled man child in his review. He completely misses the point of the story and is unable to get past what happens in the first hour, he seems to be a massively toxic personalty and has an equally toxic fanbase.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        It wasn't really though, was it.

You could argue that without the internet that these idiots would be left in isolation in order to develop into proper psychos. Look at the Bjork stalker, for instance. If he'd acted like that publicly online he could have potentially been shut down before doing any harm (to himself, especially).
        No, Dave. The internet was a mistake. A mistake! And if you disagree you better watch out because I'll come to your house and I'll - CENSORED.

Comment

The main problem with the Internet is that people with ridiculous views on things end up finding other people who share their ridiculous over-the-top views which makes them feel right and then they start making threats because they didn't like the latest computer game or film franchise or whatever. YouTube is awful for it, you get these personalities who fuel their entire fanbase by being unreasonably angry about something and having a thumbnail where they look like they're about to have a anxiety attack because something upset them in a computer game. Instead of people thinking "wow, what an utter loser" they seem to all agree and start whipping each other up in the comments section and they egg each other on and before you know it some random person is getting death threats or abuse or whatever. It's probably not helped by the idea of gaming being a very serious culture rather than a fun hobby.

I can't think of a time I've ever been genuinely angry, properly angry about a game I didn't like. There's been some times where I've thought a sequel was a bit disappointing or overhyped or something but I think the most I've ever done is think "oh, this isn't as good as I'd hoped" and then stick it on eBay. The idea that some people will buy and play a game to the end because they genuinely hate it and want to be as angry as possible is just nuts to me.

I looked up the video for that Angryjoe thing and it's 48 minutes long with an extra 50 minutes extended discussion! Imagine having to listen to someone bang on about a computer game for that long, let alone be the person who made the video. What a weird world some people live in.

Comment

Well, that Angry Joe appears to be a sexual predator, so he's probably best avoided.

Tying in with cyberbullying, I was reading this article today about a girl who was 18 at the time and asked Trump at a campaign event about his record on women.

""Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think you're a friend to women,"

"I respect women incredibly," Trump replied. "I have had women working for me in… so many different jobs.

I have a daughter named Ivanka and a wife named Melania who constantly want me to talk about women's health issues because they know how I feel about it. And they know how I feel about women.

I respect women. I love women. I cherish women."

She took the mic again and added: "I want to get paid the same as a man and I think you understand that. So if you become president will a woman make the same as a man and do I get to choose what I do with my body?"

"You're gonna make the same if you do as good a job," Trump said. "And I happen to be pro-life."

The next day, Trump tweeted:

After that, she got endlessly harassed, almost dropping out of university.

Both Lauren and the Bush campaign deny she was a plant. But very quickly she was bombarded with hundreds of menacing, violent and sexual messages on social media. Some threatened to rape or kill her.

"I remember a woman messaged me on Facebook saying, 'I know where you live. I'm going to smash your head in and I'm going to pee all over your dead body.'"

Another person left a sexually aggressive voicemail on her home phone number, which had been spread on the internet, and someone even sent a box filled with excrement to her home."

TL: DR - yes, sometimes the internet is full of horrible people saying whatever they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
              You'd think but then you get people like Angryjoe on youtube who gets massively worked up by this game and behaves like an entitled man child in his review. He completely misses the point of the story and is unable to get past what happens in the first hour, he seems to be a massively toxic personalty and has an equally toxic fanbase.
              Thank God I have no idea who the tit is then. People like that should be allowed on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

TL: DR - yes, sometimes the internet is full of horrible people saying whatever they want.
                You'd think in this case a report system should be in place to suspend and remove accounts sending death threats or threats of physical violence. Surely it should never even get to the recipient if it contains too many trigger words in certain pattens. If Sony can ban accounts and regularly do ban for trash talk then why cant Facebook and twitter. I know two people recently who got handed out month long bans for swearing at people over PSN messenger, it all seems very automated and very hard to appeal and very un-labour intensive

Why can't a company's as big as twitter and Facebook who's whole business is this get a handle on it, it really dose feel like they don't care what happens on there platforms as long as they can still harvest your data and sell you products via targeted advertising. I really wouldn't be surprised if they worked out that cleaning up would also remove a massive amount of revenue so are reluctant to sort this issue out unless forced to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                  The main problem with the Internet is that people with ridiculous views on things end up finding other people who share their ridiculous over-the-top views which makes them feel right
                  Yep, this is the problem right here. Lots of us have thought stupid, ridiculous things at one time or other. You think it and you move on and forget you ever thought it. At least, that's how it used to work. But now, some corner of the internet exists where you can search that stupid, ridiculous thing and find like-minded people and now it's not just a thought - it becomes a bigger thing that is nurtured and fed. And some people don't even see what's happening to them. I read a very good examination a while back of the likes of 4chan and how what starts as fairly harmless ****posting can and has lead to the radicalisation of a lot of young guys (mostly men for whatever reason) and it's a slow creeping thing. And it's not good.

Comment

Jim Sterling has done a good video about it.

Comment

Dreams is finally getting the PSVR update. My question is, has anyone actually made anything on this worth playing?

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                        The main problem with the Internet is that people with ridiculous views on things end up finding other people who share their ridiculous over-the-top views
                        Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        But now, some corner of the internet exists where you can search that stupid, ridiculous thing and find like-minded people and now it's not just a thought - it becomes a bigger thing that is nurtured and fed.
                        It goes both ways, right?

I first got on the internet at a very young age, and, like most pre-teens, I was starting to hit puberty/adolescence and feeling really isolated and misunderstood. I went online and met communities of people who had similar interests; forums about Sonic the Hedgehog, Manga (i.e. the anime division of Palm Pictures), videogames... This was when most people in my social circle of my age were into club football, soaps like Neighbours and music. Now of course, I'm not going to be one of those people who says "I was bullied for being different", because it wasn't just my interests; thinking back, I was a really awkward kid and probably didn't do much to engender myself to others - but still, I can empathise with people who go online because they don't "fit in" in their own surroundings and search for something that doesn't make them feel like such an outcast.

It's also why I have an understanding of why this is so dangerous. As an adult, I'm so happy that I mainly met good, well-meaning people, rather than have someone take me down the path of the likes of incels and red-pillers today, which did exist, just not in quite such an identifiable form. I don't think I would've ever become as toxic as some of the people I've seen, but as an impressionable pre-teen, you can never really know how things might've turned out.

Makes you wonder how things would've been different without the internet. Would I have eventually just gone with the flow, tried to "fit in", and just accepted being a less happy person? Blobcat's mother has joked, looking at kids today and what they're into, that we probably would've been much happier children if we had been living 25 years later. Obviously she's being facetious but you see her point.

Comment

Yep, you make very good points and it’s more than I have time to pick up on right now (maybe longer post later!) but yes, I was that geeky kid and in a small village and didn’t fit in and it sucked. There are many ways I would have been much happier with the internet where I could find people who liked what I liked.

But the flip side is that I would have had no need to build the social skills to connect with people who weren’t like me. I had to build people skills. I actually think some of the worst shyest introverted aspects of myself would have won out and I’d be an utterly useless adult. And this is a huge part of what the youth subcultures were about - different people latching on to just a single common interest in order to find a connection. And those youth subcultures, whether you were a punk, goth, whatever, were a part of building life skills even when we didn’t see it. And the visible youth subcultures have been eroded. There are still subcultures of course but not in the same way and, now, I see young people in the work place who just aren’t equipped to get on with people and I have to wonder if that’s a part of it. They haven’t needed to build those skills in real life.

So yes, there would have been huge positives during my childhood but not having the crutch of the Internet, for me, was a very good thing ultimately.

Comment

There probably needs to be a sexual harassment/bullying/criminal accusations thread but the more allegations emerging out of Ubisoft of bullying, sexual harassment and leadership tolerating this behaviour. More over at Resetera.

Maybe they should lead with discussing this instead of talking about Far Cry 6 at their event tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                              Dreams is finally getting the PSVR update. My question is, has anyone actually made anything on this worth playing?
                              That's not the point! It means I don't need to buy a VR art game now!

Comment

I've been trying to find the video from last year of a guy making a castle or something in Dreams using PSVR and the move controllers and it looked amazing fun from a messing around with art and sculpting point of view.

Comment

Working...
                                X