This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
    Oh no,. We hurt the feelings of the Chinese people bloody hell, who cares.
    That’s a pretty bloody racist thing to say.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
      They really need to do something physical for this. Fool me once...
      Yeah, I'm skipping this too if it's only digital. Well, I'd be skipping it on physical as well, it was OK but nothing more. I wonder what's the rights labyrinth for any other publisher like LRG to publish it, between the original writer, Ubisoft, and Universal.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
        Yeah, I'm skipping this too if it's only digital. Well, I'd be skipping it on physical as well, it was OK but nothing more. I wonder what's the rights labyrinth for any other publisher like LRG to publish it, between the original writer, Ubisoft, and Universal.

Comment

Qute are finishing up a PS4 port of Natsuki Chronicle and are hoping to have it released as early as possible into 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
            Come on man, if nothing else it’s news, and aside from that it’s the one market where the film has released. For what it’s worth, the rhyme it’s linked to is also names and is used against Japanese people too.
            It's just some stupid thing blown out of proportion as always. Can you imagine what it would be like everytime someone said or did something "offensive" to a certain region in the UK. The whole country would be at war at all times.

I follow the Chinese news very closely. They will do anything to make any other country look bad. They're at it 24/7.
            I could say right here that dictator of China is a tit, next thing you know I'm being labeled as a hater of all Chinese people and hurt the feelings of China. That's how it is, sadly.
            We all know I'm not a racist in any form.

Comment

I could say right here that dictator of China is a tit, next thing you know I'm being labeled as a hater of all Chinese people and hurt the feelings of China. That's how it is, sadly.
              Yeah, but you didn't say that, you said this:
              Oh no,. We hurt the feelings of the Chinese people bloody hell, who cares.
              You say you're not racist, but have a think about how, objectively, posts like that might look.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                Yeah, but you didn't say that, you said this:

You say you're not racist, but have a think about how, objectively, posts like that might look.
                I'm sure the people and bots in China posting on this racial slur in the film are genuinely offended and they have a right to be, but review bombing the game is dumb as hell. However I can also see Yakumo's point that this kind of response seems to be routinely stoked up by the Chinese state media, and it's very useful to them in that sense. Better to have Chinese citizens offended by a racial slur in a western film than have them offended by the systematic eradication of ethnicities within their own borders.

Comment

I was curious about this and having read what the actual thing in the film is, I have to say it sounds like the Chinese government fiddling.

According to Variety, the offending clip depicts two characters, a white man and an Asian man, played by Jin Au-Yeung, driving together. Jin says “Look at my knees!”, to which the other character replies: “What kind of knees are these?” “Chi-nese!” jokes Jin.

The actor in question is an American of Chinese heritage so I'd have thought if it was somehow deeply racist he might have mentioned it. Obviously it was translated into something completely different, but that's completely the norm when you can't translate a pun across two languages. The idea of the different translation being a "cover up" is ridiculous as English is a second language spoken to some degree by probably a majority of the audience. They'd have just cut it.

Bearing in mind that as a major film it would have gone through a pre-release process with a ton of translators, test audiences, Chinese censors... nobody picked up on it.

If someone is genuinely offended by it then perhaps I'm misreading the situation, but I don't think social media channels controlled by the Chinese government are a particularly reliable source. I'm not Chinese so I can't say what would be offensive to them, but it doesn't sound like a vicious racial epithet to me (or presumably the various Chinese channels it had to go through before release).

Problem is - as is usual - the companies involved have to basically beg for forgiveness from the Chinese government because they want their business, even though both sides know full well it's just a load of political posturing. It muddies the waters for everyone.

Comment

lol is that the joke?, damn China breeding the snowiest of flakes over there Then again you have xinny the pooh in charge so they already have atom thin skins.

Comment

China planned this. They control the masses with choreographed outrage to unite and drive poohs agenda.
                      It’s not news it’s a sad story.

Comment

In other news...looking for a RTX 3090, in particular from MSI? Well...

Judging by the value indicated, this amounts to around 200 stolen cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                          I'm sure the people and bots in China posting on this racial slur in the film are genuinely offended and they have a right to be, but review bombing the game is dumb as hell. However I can also see Yakumo's point that this kind of response seems to be routinely stoked up by the Chinese state media, and it's very useful to them in that sense. Better to have Chinese citizens offended by a racial slur in a western film than have them offended by the systematic eradication of ethnicities within their own borders.
                          Exactly. I know way more of what goes on in china simply because of my geographical location than what you guys in the UK know. Same as I know nothing about what goes on in Europe these days.
                          Let's just put it this way, I'm no racist. My comment was me being sarcastic to the typical response spat out by the Chinese regime time and time again. That's all I'm going to say on the matter.

Comment

My take is that, it hooks into an old racist rhyme or joke and that is offensive and should have been edited out way before it hit cinemas.
                            However, I do agree that there is a strong propaganda machine at work and faux outrage has its usefulness in manipulation of the news agenda.
                            There is also a strong feeling amongst some folks, it seems, such as the Chinese students who got an Australian University to change it's curriculum because it didn't like some of the course content and it had a lot of Chinese students studying there.
                            Almost like a "criticism of Israel's regime is anti-semitic" type of thinking.
                            Last edited by gunrock; 08-12-2020, 20:06.

Comment

A fan translation is in progress for Zangeki no Reginleiv, Sandlot's EDF meets Norse mythology Wii exclusive.

Comment

World Of Warcraft Shadowlands Announces 3.7 Million Units Sold As The Fastest Selling PC Game Ever

Comment

Working...
                                X