This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaming news too small for its own thread

Similar to the questions thread, thought I'd start this for random snippets too small for their own thread and probably not relevant in another.

=====

So to start us off:

PQube has announced they're cancelling the western release for Omega Labyrinth Z. While specifics for the game's localization weren't really confirmed, the publisher said they "

Omega Labyrith Z isn't going to be released in the west; apparently the publisher can't make it work alongside something to do with PEGI/ESRB.

From the looks of it this is one of those Playstation games which is somewhat "adult" which we've seen a slew of in the west since they became quite popular on the Vita.

EDIT: Further development: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ga-labyrinth-z

Apparently Sony themselves have stepped in to prevent the game's release on Playstation in territories covered by SCEE and SCEA.

I think PQube come out of this looking good, though. They've said that they were given the opportunity to censor the game, but said that contradicts their company policy on trying to bring Japanese games to the west in a manner as faithful as possible to the source material, and have decided to stick to their guns and simply not release it - a bold move when the game is apparently already localised.
    Last edited by Asura; 25-06-2018, 15:47.

Telltale are moving engine:

After dozens of series and countless episodes, Telltale Games is finally set to replace its aging game engine.That's ac…

Comment

Uncharted creator Amy Hennig has departed EA, and her Star Wars game is "on the shelf"

Comment

I finally bought the XBLA Radiant Silvergun.

Comment

EA probably cancelled the game because there was limited room for Lootboxes, then the tide turned on Lootboxes. Shame. Hope she can forge a company of her own and make something good.

Comment

PlayStation Hits line started today with Yakuza 0 and Kiwami for $19.99 each along with a few others.

Naturally I had just ordered the English language 0 for $29.99, so that is going back to Amazon next week.

Comment

It may be easy to chuckle at Bethesda porting Skyrim to Alexa, but the set-up for the tongue-in-cheek release at E3 201…

"Millions of people" are still playing Skyrim every month

"It may be easy to chuckle at Bethesda porting Skyrim to Alexa, but the set-up for the tongue-in-cheek release at E3 2018 has numbers behind it. According to the game's director Todd Howard, "millions of people every month" are still playing Skyrim.

This comes from a talk between Howard and Geoff Keighley at Gamelab in Barcelona attended by GamesIndustry.biz, during which Keighley led into a conversation about persistent game worlds and the ability to continuously play older games.

"Even now, the amount of people who play Skyrim seven years later; millions of people every month are playing that game," Howard replied. "That's why we keep releasing it. If you want us to stop releasing it, stop buying it."

For a slightly more specific look at Skyrim's continued popularity one need only look to Steam. Earlier today, Valve released a breakdown of games with the most simultaneous players in 2018 so far. Skyrim was included on the list, having had over 50,000 simultaneous players in 2018. And that's just at one moment on one platform sometime during the last six months for a single-player game released in November of 2011.

That continued, long-term success is good news for Howard, who emphasized his desire to see his gaming worlds remain sustainable in the long term.

"Every year there's a new idea we can't do, and a new technology for something that excites us," he said. "I'd say I want it to be sustainable. Eventually there will come a day where I'm not making games at Bethesda. Hopefully that's a long time away. But I want to make sure that who we are, what the worlds are, what the company is, that's sustainable far beyond me.""

Comment

Still comes across as a dangerous way to manage a studio. If a studio can pull it off it must seem great but so many are aiming for this model and it remains exceptions. Skyrim doesn't even deliver new content, it's just milked through ports that sell due to the lack of a follow up. It leaves an immense gulf for a competitor to step in, for the a sequel to kill a franchise due to overdrawn expectations and for a studio to deskill itself as staff are replaced by employees who come and go without even shipping a game.

It was by no means a failure but Fallout 4 felt like that first wobble of a wheel quality wise. I hope Elder Scrolls VI but this thing about taking an audience and dragging them through a decade of waiting and expectations till the next instalment comes along doesn't feel like good business, just laziness.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...im-every-month

"Millions of people" are still playing Skyrim every month

"It may be easy to chuckle at Bethesda porting Skyrim to Alexa, but the set-up for the tongue-in-cheek release at E3 2018 has numbers behind it. According to the game's director Todd Howard, "millions of people every month" are still playing Skyrim.

This comes from a talk between Howard and Geoff Keighley at Gamelab in Barcelona attended by GamesIndustry.biz, during which Keighley led into a conversation about persistent game worlds and the ability to continuously play older games.

"Even now, the amount of people who play Skyrim seven years later; millions of people every month are playing that game," Howard replied. "That's why we keep releasing it. If you want us to stop releasing it, stop buying it."

For a slightly more specific look at Skyrim's continued popularity one need only look to Steam. Earlier today, Valve released a breakdown of games with the most simultaneous players in 2018 so far. Skyrim was included on the list, having had over 50,000 simultaneous players in 2018. And that's just at one moment on one platform sometime during the last six months for a single-player game released in November of 2011.

That continued, long-term success is good news for Howard, who emphasized his desire to see his gaming worlds remain sustainable in the long term.

"Every year there's a new idea we can't do, and a new technology for something that excites us," he said. "I'd say I want it to be sustainable. Eventually there will come a day where I'm not making games at Bethesda. Hopefully that's a long time away. But I want to make sure that who we are, what the worlds are, what the company is, that's sustainable far beyond me.""
                  I don't like Sterling, yet this video sums up my thoughts perfectly:

NSFW obvs.

Comment

This one also kind of covers the naff mindset that results in poorly maintained userbases too, again NSFW:

Comment

Australian School asks parents to ban Fortnite at home

Comment

I can imagine raising kids in this connected era can be difficult. I mean on the one hand, the internet is great because we have access to so much information, but on the other, kids are almost certainly accessing information before they have the faculties to really understand it.

Like I remember back when I was first able to be on the internet unsupervised. Suffice to say, I looked at all sorts, but that included a bunch of stuff you could probably only look at via the dark-web these days. Of course, this was "innocent" - I was about 12 and I wanted to see if all those things I'd heard about actually existed. Obviously though, I saw things that I wasn't prepared for in some cases, stuff which did genuinely give me nightmares.

(a disturbing thing is in the spoiler)

One that I remember was an animated gif of three guys killing a pig for what I think was fun. Two of them held the thrashing animal down while a third decapitated it with what looked like a hedge trimmer. After the head was gone, the body thrashed around in a kind of panic until it slumped over, dead.

You were probably all expecting something more sexual than that; obviously there was that too; however I grew up in a medical family and didn't have hang-ups about that. I can imagine some families and kids having real problems with that.

The internet was like the wild west back then; completely divorced from real life. The point of the above is that you didn't go looking for that stuff online back then, but would still find it interspersed with what you were looking for, because that was just how the internet was. You'd be reading a page about Sonic the Hedgehog and then the next article on that primitive proto-blog would be about double-penetration.

Now it's so ingrained into real life that I don't know how people deal with this. Do you just have to accept your kids are going to see that stuff, and try to prepare them? Or do you do your best to prevent it (and likely fail)?

Comment

A fair assessment, Asura. I think though that the argument you mention from some parents (basically that 'kids will play/see it anyway so sod it') is reprehensible. Some parents I know were delighted Blops 3 went free on PS+ recently, despite fact it's 18 and their kids are 10.
                          Last edited by Golgo; 13-07-2018, 08:14.

Comment

Concrete Genie is one of Sony's most impressive games developed by one of its smallest studios.

Comment

I remember wondering about the game but have forgotten about it completely since. That but in VR would be h'amaze.

Shenmue 1&2 digital pre-orders are 10% off on the PSN. Oddly it makes me want to cancel and wait on digital sales instead.

Also, July 24th brings Train Sim World to PS4 and XB1! Never before could you pay so much to take the train from Cardiff to Paddington*

*outside of real life
                              Last edited by kryss; 17-07-2018, 16:19.

Comment

Working...
                              X