Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's like dominoes everywhere with these abuse reveals. While they vary massively in terms of seriousness, they all have some very clear root problems - an imbalance of power, a willingness to exploit that imbalance and then protection of their peers when they do it. I have a couple of twitter accounts for different interests and there are stories coming to light in so many fields, from devs/publishers to streamers to colleges to the comedy circuit. It's everywhere.

And the fact that it is so prevalent, that even the less disgusting cases seem to come down to the same thing and it's across so many industries... it's almost hard to see how it can be tackled without some sort of complete reset of everything. The stories are all too ingrained and tied to the system to think that booting offenders out will actually prevent it from happening again. Also it's very clear we need to teach boys better.

Comment

It's all really concerning and the sheer volume of this going on across the board in the industry is horrifying.

With regards to the Influencers being named I think there definitely needs to be focus on YouTube and Twitch and them being held accountable. This is the current CEO of Twitch:

The accountability of streamers has been an open question at Twitch for sometime now. According to music streamer Starling, during an All Hands meeting last year Twitch CEO Emmett Shear reportedly laughed off the issue of Partners using their platform to abuse women, saying: "Wow, the things that go on on our platform -- can't really comment.
      The fact that this Pro Syndicate was even on these platforms four years on from the CS:GO skin betting scandal has me in disbelief. And now two women have alleged him being of raping them and sexual abuse.

And re: Twitch's complete lack of action there's reams of evidence and abused being ignored.

Comment

Probably the biggest Live Streamer there currently is; Dr Disrespect has just been banned permanently from Twitch (story broke late last night) and subsequently Discord Partnership. No reason given so lots of speculation. Doesn't seem to be a temp ban as Twitch have been refunding subs, donations etc.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/26/2...o-reason-given

EDIT: Better thread on Reddit here with updates on the situation. Sponsors and maybe management company dropping him.
        Last edited by Digfox; 27-06-2020, 09:56.

Comment

Why have costumes for fighting games become so weird? Do online players really want to win wearing a Santa hat? "Boss, in 30 years Ryu has never worn a leather gimp suit." " Get Capcom Japan on the phone and promote that man! "

Comment

I like weird costumes, more games should use them. Like the mascot dog costume in Astral Chain.

Comment

I played through Onimusha dressed as a panda.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              I played the one where you got a panda suit with flip-top head as a reward for completion.

It's not quite up there with Resident Evil's reward of a quad-barrelled rocket launcher with Infinite ammo, is it?

Comment

A smart cookie has found a way to get homebrew/burnt discs to run on completely unmodified PS2s - link. Early days yet, but can imagine the mod scene will be eating this up.

Comment

Ah man, the Powerful Pro Yakyuu never make it to the west. Would love this. Does anyone know if they have English language option?
                  Famitsu gave this 9/9/9/9.

Coming to Switch and PS4 next week (Japan).

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                    Ah man, the Powerful Pro Yakyuu never make it to the west. Would love this. Does anyone know if they have English language option?
                    Might not've come Europe even if it did a surprisingly large amount of baseball games never make it here, for (I guess) obvious reasons.

Comment

I didn't know where to put this.
                      The voice actress for Abby is TLOU2 has had death threats. She got paid to lend her voice to a character she had no involvement in writing and she gets death threats. I mean, words fails me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                        The voice actress for Abby is TLOU2 has had death threats. She got paid to lend her voice to a character she had no involvement in writing and she gets death threats. I mean, words fails me.
                        Man, people are so f-ing dumb. It's just a character.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                          This is a really terrible thing, and it's a sign of one of the problems that social media has given us.

The game's going to sell ~4 million copies, but it only takes literally 3 or 4 people to send death threats to seem like a hail of abuse, because they ring so loudly.

This isn't to devalue the terrible thing that actor is going through at the hands of some idiots (like I'm not suggesting "it's just a few idiots, it's fiiiine").

Comment

Yeah, I feel your last part is important because, from what I can see, it's more than just three or four and the targeting is not limited to the voice actor. But also it doesn't have to get all the way to 'death threat' to become absolutely unacceptable. We need to dial this WAY back because a lot of people are contributing to this and don't even see the problem because they stop short of the death threats.

People weren't ready for the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              Yeah, I feel your last part is important because, from what I can see, it's more than just three or four and the targeting is not limited to the voice actor. But also it doesn't have to get all the way to 'death threat' to become absolutely unacceptable. We need to dial this WAY back because a lot of people are contributing to this and don't even see the problem because they stop short of the death threats.

People weren't ready for the internet.
                              Yeah; I'm exaggerating a little to make the point. I accept that.

It's a ****ty situation brought about by ****ty people who should know better.

Comment

The internet was, indeed, a mistake.

Comment

Working...
                                X