X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTA IV was awful...

"Hey cousin, let us go stare at beeeeeg American tee-tees!!"

Comment

I think it will be at the tail end of this gen. Then remastered on the next gen. Rockstar will not want to pass up all those double-dippers.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
        I think it will be at the tail end of this gen. Then remastered on the next gen. Rockstar will not want to pass up all those double-dippers.
        Pretty much. “Get the ultimate edition on next gen now!”
        Last edited by fishbowlhead; 06-07-2018, 09:53.

Comment

To get GTA6 out before this gen wraps up they'd need to announce it now. One year to build the hype then another to account for the multiple release delays.

Honestly, I think RDR2 kills any chance of GTA6 this gen.

2018 - Console Release of RDR2
          2019 - PC Release of RDR2
          2020 - Next Gen 'Remaster' aka PC Port of RDR2
          2021 - Announcement of GTA6
          2022 - Possible Release of GTA6

Comment

Dan Houser has said he's grateful that GTA6 won't be released during Trump's era. Factoring any chance of a second term that suggests 2025 for GTA6 then...

Comment

I think realistically we must be looking at 2023 - 2025 for GTA 6. I just don't see how it would be remotely possible for it to be any sooner than that.

It's a far, far bigger gap between entries than I could ever have predicted, but that's just the way it is. These things take time to make and the time required has ballooned exponentially since the PS2 days.

Comment

I don't want to believe GTA6 will be 5 to 7 years away, but with GTA5 still riding the gravy train and Red Dead 2 preparing to board the same train, I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  These things take time to make and the time required has ballooned exponentially since the PS2 days.
                  It doesn't have to take this long to make a new GTA game, even if such blockbuster games are more complicated to make now. If there was no GTA Online revenue we would be seeing more regular GTA releases. However what GTA Online has done is give T2 massive regular annual revenue streams that their shareholders absolutely love. And it appears that RDR2 is going to be the 'alternate' brand to support their regular revenue streams.

I'm not sure for a minute I believe that there will be no new GTA until after a possible second term of Trump (so late 2024). I think he (Houser) just meant he is glad it isn't releasing now instead of RDR2.

Comment

2023 sounds about right. Ten years after GTAV (similar to RDR's situation), 5 years after RDR2 (making the Online cash grabs evenly spaced) and 2+years into next gen allowing the userbase to be built up enough to milk

Comment

2023 sounds too long for me. Although maybe it's dependant on RDR2's sales. However the previous games have obviously never got close to GTA volumes, but I appreciate that may be about to change somewhat. Either way I'd personally expect a GTA VI/online sooner.

Comment

I agree and I don't [MENTION=2982]Digfox[/MENTION]. Yeah, GTA Online has let T2 keep the cash rolling in while they develop new games, but its not like Rockstar are just sat on their hands eking out what they can from GTA 5 and deliberately holding back the 6th game. I can totally see it taking 5 years plus to put together the next GTA.

Comment

I agree and I don't [MENTION=2982]Digfox[/MENTION]. Yeah, GTA Online has let T2 keep the cash rolling in while they develop new games, but its not like Rockstar are just sat on their hands eking out what they can from GTA 5 and deliberately holding back the 6th game. I can totally see it taking 5 years plus to put together the next GTA.
                          Absolutely making a game as complex as GTA or RDR takes a long time and massive resources. That said they will not have been resting and have had resources working on MTX content for GTA Online, RDR2 Online as well as making RDR2 and GTAVI. They also will have resources on Bully sequel (and or other games) and improving their Social Club/PC Storefront. However Online components have been prioritised over single player content as we have seen.

However even despite their considerable resources they won't have needed to ramp up as much to release a regular sleugh of games. And that is something that has changed in this golden era for them, as they enjoy record revenues from their Live Services. From less games. If that regular revenue wasn't there I suspect we would have seen a newer GTA far sooner.
                          Last edited by Digfox; 26-10-2018, 10:59.

Comment

That's true - but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. If they're using the extra time they can now afford to make games which go above and beyond what would otherwise be possible, that's a good thing in my book. A bit like the massive amounts of time that appear to be afforded to flagship Mario titles, with terrific results.

Comment

That's true - but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.
                              Perhaps. Although I think the multiplayer content is rush to bottom, freemium, mobile, MTX ridden mess (at least in GTA Online). So getting less Single Player/PVE content hasn't been good for me personally.

As an aside though, it would be nice if they used that release of pressure to treat their staff with dignity and respect. Some of the recent 'crunch' horror stories don't sit well with me - assuming there is some truth there. And more than anything their studio lead should be setting a far better example rather than boasting about long working hours.

Comment

As you say, they boasted about it like it's a great thing so, yeah, there is truth there. They also pull people from the credits if they don't see the game through to the end, which is hideous. Rockstar are rolling in money and the people at the top will be worth a fortune. They also have made many games and know EXACTLY what it takes to make a game, all the time and all the resources. They could pay for the development of a game like this several times over. So they have absolutely zero excuses to take advantage of their teams. And yet they do. They may make great games (which really has no bearing on how they treat their people nor should excuse any of it) but they not good to their people. And they are far from alone in the games industry.

Comment

Working...
                                X