No announcement yet.

Grand Theft Auto VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hints continue but also continue to sound implausible. Rumours continue to target a 2022/2023 release but earlier would make more sense if they plan to milk the teats of the next GTA Online incarnation. Both GTAV and RDR2 were revealed two years before their eventual release meaning that if convention is followed a reveal next year once the next gen consoles are more publicly displayed would mean a 2022 release.

Comment

I think 4 is *better* than 5. It might look jankier but it feels more lived-in and atmospheric. It's weird they never tried to do a 'remaster' this gen, would've been nice seeing this with a smoother frame rate and fresh lick of paint.

I wouldn't grumble if they did a fresh version of Liberty City but OBVIOUSLY I want Vice City. It's seventeen years now, tart it up and gimme it again!!!

Comment

I'll always be the opposite There's nothing for me that GTA4 excels at other than being another showcase of Rockstars worst excesses

Comment

I love 4 and particularly the car handling physics. Those big old American motors felt just as wallowy as they should and getting cars up to high speed felt like you were taking a big risk. Conversely, in GTA5 you could get in some scruffy old Cadillac and it'd corner like it was on rails, so the driving didn't really have much challenge. You could be half-asleep and drive flat out from one side of the map to the other without a scratch. Even if you were unlucky enough to drive into a wall at 100mph, you'll probably only get a cracked headlight, compared to 4 where you'd be through the windscreen and the car would be toast. It's a preference though - there's a lot of people hate the GTA4 handling but a very loyal cult who love it.

Driving physics aside, once I'd got over driving cars off mountains I didn't enjoy the map as much in 5 either. Something very easily missed in GTA4 is how much effort they went to in making every single building unique. Try going for a walk in it and you'll notice that no shop is repeated anywhere. Even if there's another branch, they'll be completely different. It extends to things like the subway stations - every single one is completely different not just in layout but look and feel. Most players probably haven't even been in most of them. I've played it to death and I still find new things. It amazes me the level of care they put in. I guess it appeals to the Shenmue dweeb in me. GTA5 they cut a lot more corners and the world feels less alive for it - copy-pasted stuff, less places to go inside, a lot of areas that are just bland with not much to find out. Again, maybe doesn't matter to most people.

However, my main concern - and GTA4 doesn't get away with this - is that they're becoming increasingly obsessed with making the missions extremely scripted and linear. One of the reasons GTA3 was amazing is that you could do the missions in dozens of different ways. Your objective would generally be just "kill this guy" and it was left to you. Run him over, snipe him from miles away, go up some stairs and throw some grenades off the roof. Since San Andreas in particular the missions have forced you to do things in a very specific way so they can control the story - get on the motorbike because all the dialogue is based around you being on a motorbike - shoot this guy like that so someone can make a quip.

To me, it's incredibly frustrating that they've made a huge open world with "living" AI and then made the missions as scripted and linear as possible. Even down to what the AI traffic does in a car chase, because they want to make sure everyone has the same experience. Half the fun of GTA3 was telling your friends how you did a mission in some daft way. Now I feel like I've got my hands tied when I'm doing the missions and while some are alright, there's little incentive to replay them and it mostly just feels like a chore I'm doing to unlock stuff to play with in the open world. San Andreas was the worst for it - the first few hours of missions are a real slog if you replay it now.

My concern is that they're so obsessed with the narrative now that the missions might as well just be a rail shooter or something and it's only got worse for it as they've gone on.

Comment

That's very true, I'd be more than keen for them to do relatively simple remasters of the PS2 era GTA3 trilogy with some updating of the on foot controls and touched up visuals. They'd be great to revisit with some of their niggles removed.

Comment

Dan Houser founded the studio behind Grand Theft Auto with his brother in 1998.

Next month Dan Houser will leave Rockstar

Comment

Wow. Will change Rockstar for sure.

Interesting times. Hot on the rumours of Take 2 wanting a more 'regular' release of Rockstar games although supposedly Dan Houser has been on extended leave since last April. When you consider it was reported the Housers had a very generous bonus structure I wonder if this isn't just a case of personal reasons.

I also wonder if some of this is that GTA Online revenue is slowing down, and RDR Online isn't doing much, therefore more pressure for profits.

Take-Two reports Q3 financials on Thursday.

Comment

Take Two must be getting at least a little anxious that seven years on GTA6 is still on the pending list. Come November they'll probably spit out Grand Theft Auto V: $$$ Edition on PS5 and XSX

Comment

Rockstar haven't even put out enhanced versions of GTA V/Online for Pro/X so I'd be surprised.

Comment

Not much money to be made from making the patch, but minimal work for 'next-gen' versions I could imagine such is their disinterest in getting GTA6 out there.

Comment

Maybe, I guess we don't know whether GTA VI was meant to be done by now or if its had trouble in development. Historically they have a low output, particularly recently.

Either way there has or will be change at Rockstar and it will be interesting to see the impact on them. Whether it's entirely personal reasons or not, it feels on the outside looking in that at the same time there is more pressure on Rockstar. They had RDR2 on PC to bring up Q3 results but it isn't hard to imagine the following financials being down.
                        Last edited by Digfox; 05-02-2020, 19:58.

Comment

Speculation that Grand Theft Auto VI is eyeing a 2023 release on next-gen consoles as Take-Two has projected a massive spike in marketing spend for the 2023/2024 financial year

Comment

Just wait until it turns out to be a GTA V remaster for PS5/XBX.

Comment

GTA3 for Switch.

Comment

2023? I'll be 48 by then. Come on, this is taking the absolute piss.

Just give us a great remaster of IV, add new physics n' elements, make it POP, as in pop like a cold Pepsi on a hot day, give us THE open-world NY.

Include all the Gay Tony/Lost & Damned DLC, enable proper running in the former, I'll be happy.

This would be ACE, and easier for Rockstar, given they only seem to give a sheeshkebob about their GTA online shoit.

I don't play it online but I'd happily pay £9.99 for a res and fps boost of the former, Rockstar
                                . That's easy, easy money for ya.

I'm not even bothered if you rip the music out, I can add my own choonz (I possess THE best and plenty, mark my faaaaaarkin' words!!!)

Comment

Working...
                                X