Critics Club II: 01 - Tom Hanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    It's one of the few films where I see him as the character. Most of the others I just see Tom Hanks.
    Agreed.
    It's why I went Gump.

Comment

In a way Tom was still playing Hanks in Forrest Gump too!

"In 1995, A Current Affair revealed that Tom Hanks had created the mannerisms for the character of Forrest Gump in the film of the same name based on the simpleton mannerisms earlier created by Jim for the role of Jeeter,[3] including Forrest's "now-famous jerky run".["

Comment

I've never liked Hanks, when I see him in a film my brain knows I'm watching a film, I know I'm watching an actor when he starts speaking.

When I watch a film I want to be transported away where the time flies by as I get sucked tunnel vision like into the moment.

He's obviously decent as he's won Oscar's etc but really doesn't do it for me. Anthony Hopkins is another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
          Anthony Hopkins is another one.
          I always see Dr Lecter (in the first SOTL that is). It's almost like AH became a completely different form/presence for that role.

EDIT: actually, thinking about it, I was only vaguely familiar with Anthony Hopkins when I first saw Silence ... that might have something to do with it.
          Last edited by Atticus; 05-07-2018, 15:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            though he's one of those actors who's mostly just playing himself in every film..
            Thats the main reason I went for Forest Gump.
            His acting is second to none in that one, and it's such an amazing and well made movie overall.
            Easily one of my favourites watches of all time, so far.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              I used to like Splash! when I was younger, but that's mainly because I had a crush on Daryl Hannah.
              And that's why you need to rewatch Big! Elizabeth Perkins!

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                And that's why you need to rewatch Big! Elizabeth Perkins!
                I'll be honest, she's never done anything for me, so if we're all at a party together, you have the green light and I'll be the wingman for you.

Comment

Oh god this is a hard one (just discovered this thread)

Big part of my love for movies is because of Mr Hanks. The earliest non-animated movies I remember my mum renting out for us were films either staring Bette Midler or Tom Hanks, in films such as Turner and Hooch, Splash or Big.

I have seen so many of his films but looking at that list I've only around 20 of the 50!

I am torn between Big and Forest Gump. Just noticed the other half said just that!

Big was so early in his career but yet he nailed that role perfectly and it feels so genuine that he is a kid in an adults body.

But I went for Forrest Gump. The character again feels so genuine, and his delivery of his well written character hits the spot just right he reflects that emotion onto yourself. That scene with "is he like me" just gives me goosebumps when just thinking about it and I am a blubbering mess whenever I see that damn film (one of my favorites of all time.)

Edit - Just a mention that we finally got to see Saving Mr Banks finally this week and really enjoied it, only issue was the pacing which I felt would have worked better as a 2 part drama than a full movie.

Also check out his appearance on SNL Black Jeopardy sketch which is hilarious.
                  Last edited by Blobcat; 20-07-2018, 12:22.

Comment

Working...
                  X