Favourite Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite Quotes

Everyone has quotes they like. Funny quotes, stupid quotes, logical quotes, philosophical quotes, share 'em here. Here are some I like that spring to mind:

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.” - Groucho Marx

“I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.” - Groucho Marx

“He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.” - Groucho Marx

" Why a four-year-old child could understand this report. Run out and find me a four-year-old child. I can't make head nor tail out of it. - Groucho Marx Brilliant.

“In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted.” - Bertrand Russell

“To teach how to live without certainty, and yet without being paralyzed by hesitation, is perhaps the chief thing that philosophy, in our age, can still do for those who study it.” - Bertrand Russell

“It is the preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly.” - Bertrand Russell

“One should as a rule respect public opinion in so far as is necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyranny, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways.” - Bertrand Russell Brilliant

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” - Socrates

“By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you’ll become happy; if you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher.” - Socrates

“Know thyself.” - Socrates

“Beware the barrenness of a busy life.” - Socrates

“True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us.”
    - Socrates

“If all our misfortunes were laid in one common heap whence everyone must take an equal portion, most people would be content to take their own and depart.” - Socrates

“It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor. ” - Seneca

“As long as you live, keep learning how to live.” - Seneca

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” - Marcus Aurelius

“Remember that very little is needed to make a happy life.” - Marcus Aurelius

“Wealth consists not in having great possessions, but in having few wants.” - Epictetus

“If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.”
    - Epictetus

“He who laughs at himself never runs out of things to laugh at.” - Epictetus

“It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows.” - Epictetus

“Seek not the good in external things; seek it in yourselves.” - Epictetus

“Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson Brilliant, and particularly poignant in this day and age

“Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Make your own Bible. Select and collect all the words and sentences that in all your readings have been to you like the blast of a trumpet.”
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein

“If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.” - Albert Einstein Love it.

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

“A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.” - Albert Einstein

“Try not to become a man of success. Rather become a man of value.” - Albert Einstein

“A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feeling as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.” - Albert Einstein

I could go on for hours but that's enough for now. Well maybe one more. My favourite quote of all:

"Relax, nothing is under control." - Not sure who said it but frequently see it in Buddhist literature.

“Well hello, mister fancypants” and the rest of it: https://youtu.be/TbkmjctIaXI

Comment

There's an old Scottish saying, so not so much a quote -

"What's for you won't go by you". My wife has it tattooed on her wrist. The first time I met her I said "Well, we have this saying in Scotland.....". She was at that time just some Canadian girl I'd met in Toronto, she showed me the tattoo after I said it and it all just felt like fate.

"To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness" Is a pretty beautiful sentiment. It's from Mary, Queen of Scots. I may struggle to follow the first bit as there are so many undeserving of kindness these days, but the rest is spot on.

Comment

“The man who says much, ends up saying nothing at all”.

Comment

"Re-rewind. When the crowd says bo selecta!" Craig David.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
            "Re-rewind. When the crowd says bo selecta!" Craig David.
            We're no longer faceless, random internet friends with disturbingly similar tastes in walking simulators.

Comment

"Life is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable because all you get back is another box of chocolates. So you're stuck with this undefinable whipped mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while there's a peanut butter cup or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast and the taste is... fleeting. So, you end up with nothing but broken bits filled with hardened jelly and teeth-shattering nuts. And if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you got left is an empty box filled with useless brown paper wrappers."

Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                We're no longer faceless, random internet friends with disturbingly similar tastes in walking simulators.

Love yooooooo.

Comment

"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Cave Johnson, Portal 2.

Comment

“****, shinola, don’t trust whitey.” Steve Martin’s dad in The Jerk.

Comment

Dr. Rumack - "I am serious and don't call me Shirley"

Rob Grant - "We cannot choose what we are, yet what are we but the sum of our choices?"

Comment

"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man" - Zefram Cockran

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun" - Ash Williams

Comment

"Thrill me" from Night Of The Creeps, iirc. Haven't seen it since the 80s but it stuck with me. The guy with the 'tache from Halloween 3, Tom he's called.

Thrill me.

Comment

Comment

"I pissed on the man who called me a dog. Why was he so surprised?" - Diogenes

Comment

Working...
                              X