Robocop II: Returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robocop II: Returns

“District 9” and “Chappie” helmer Neill Blomkamp has been set to direct “RoboCop Returns,” a new entry in the iconic sci-fi action franchise that began with Paul Verhoeven’s famed 1987 original. Justin Rhodes, who co-wrote the upcoming “Terminator” film which Tim Miller is directing, is rewriting an old script from Ed Neumeier and Michael Miner […]

Neil Blomkamp has been hired to helm this new Robocop movie which has been re-written by one of the writers of the upcoming Terminator III based on an old script that was originally written by the two writers of the original movie.

Like that movie, this will also be a direct sequel to the original Verhoeven helmed movie that ignores the existing sequels and the reboot from a few years ago.
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 12-07-2018, 08:15.

Deadline have also reported this but with more detail including comment from Blomkamp:

“The original definitely had a massive effect on me as a kid,” Blomkamp told Deadline. “I loved it then and it remains a classic in the end of 20th Century sci-fi catalog, with real meaning under the surface. Hopefully that is something we can get closer to in making of a sequel. That is my goal here. What I connected to as a kid has evolved over time. At first, the consumerism, materialism and Reaganomics, that ’80s theme of America on steroids, came through most strongly.

But As I’ve gotten older, the part that really resonated with me is identity, and the search for identity. As long as the human component is there, a good story can work in any time period, it’s not locked into a specific place in history. What’s so cool about RoboCop is that like good Westerns, sci-fi films and dramas, the human connection is really important to a story well told. What draws me now is someone searching for their lost identity, taken away at the hands of people who are benefiting from it, and seeing his memory jogged by events. That is most captivating. The other thing I am excited by is the chance to work again with Justin Rhodes. He has added elements that are pretty awesome, to a sequel that was set in the world of Verhoeven. This is a movie I would love to watch.”

The sequel script was written following the success of the original but was never used, hence its repurposing now. As to why it wasn't used:

“Verhoeven felt at the time that making one would be de classe and he wasn’t interested in the politics of a sequel, “Neumeier told Deadline. “Then, the writers strike came along in 1988 and we were force majeured off the project. They brought in Frank Miller on a waiver. He wrote a draft and then another with Walon Green, and it got made by Irvin Kershner, who directed The Empire Strikes Back. I went off and did Startship Troopers with Paul.”

"It came back around when he got a call from MGM president Jon Glickman, tasked with creating franchise material for that studio. “Right when Trump was about to be elected president he called me and said, ‘Did you actually predict in your sequel script that a reality star would run for president and win?’ We had. So Mike and I wrote a draft and gave one interview in Barbados and I think the only person who read it was Neill Blomkamp, and that set this in motion.”"

Comment

RoboCop II: Returns eh? Wouldn't they just call it RoboCop III? Personally I'd have called it RoboCop II: Champion Edition.
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Hmmm... could be interesting.

Sorry, I meant I'd buy that for a dollar, don't move creep etc.

Comment

It seems like the only reason this would hold curiosity is that its based on something that would have been a true sequel had it had the chance

Comment

Last month came word that “District 9” and “Chappie” filmmaker Neill Blomkamp will direct “RoboCop Returns,” a semi-reboot of the franchise that will serve as a direct sequel to Paul Verhoeven’s 1987 sci-fi classic. The project marks another film in the recent trend of movies that effectively ignore non-celebrated sequels in favour of direct follow-ups. […]

Blomkamp has been asked on Twitter as to who he wants to play Murphy/Robocop in the new entry, he responded with only one name: Peter Weller

If he can persuade the 71 year old actor back to the role it will likely mean the film is present day set focusing on Robocop after decades in service as modern tech is overtaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
              will likely mean the film is present day
              I instantly thought, well it can't be present day given how far into the future the original was set. Checked and it appears the original was set all of three years into the future for some reason. So you're right and that feels kind of weird (weird that it would be present day, not weird that you're right).

Comment

It'd be cool if they can get Peter Weller back. Can a 71 year old keep up the Robotic actions in a boiling hot suit though?

Comment

I assume there'll be a lot of CG/body doubling going on. It's curious its described as being Robocop 2 (I guess because of the script basis) given Weller did the original sequel and nothing about this being present excludes it. I suppose chances are it'll just fall under unmentioned so the viewer can decide if the old R2 is canon or not.

Comment

He was pretty good in Sons of Anarchy a few years back. I reckon he can still do it!

Robocop II : Second Impact

Comment

As much as I love stop-motion animation, the movements of ED-209 and Kane are a bit dated these days.
                      I'd rather watch that than early CGI like Lawnmower Man, which looks like the Dire Straits "Money For Nothing" video.

I can't remember if this was posted here or not, but here's a great interview with Paul Peter Weller about how the movie was nearly axed until a mime named Moni Yakim saved the film and helped him figure out how to move in his cumbersome costume.

Full interview here:
                      Ain't It Cool News brought Peter Weller to Austin for a special double feature showing of Star Trek Into Darkness and Robocop. Throughout the day Peter Well...

(This is by Ain't It Cool News before Harry Knowles turned into a thief and accused of sexual assault.)

Comment

RoboCop II: The Sequel

Comment

in a new interview this week, writer/producer Ed Neumeier has offered an update on the status of “Robocop Returns” which serves as a direct sequel to Paul Verhoeven’s original 1987 sci-fi/action classic. The 1987 film followed a cop who, on death’s doorstep, is used as an experiment to create a new type of patrolman – […]

The films producer says the script is going through final phases now and that Blomkamp's approach to the film is that it needs to be as close as possible to what Verhoevan would have made had he made the film straight after the original.

Comment

How on earth is that even going to work? We live in a completely different world to the one Verhoeven lived in at that time (part of the reason the reboot was nothing special).

Comment

I can only imagine that it's going to divert from reality far more than the original and have it set in present day but in a version that's still very aligned with the way things were shown in the 80's so the city is in much rougher condition and not as tech advanced as the reboots more 'real world' style was. Otherwise, like you say, never going to work

Comment

Working...
                              X