No announcement yet.

The Nintendo classic (not so) mini thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This evening been playing another newly found super famicom game called youkai buster ruka no daibouken, it's a reverse decapattack as in they released in the west first then it made it's way to japan & reskinned.it was originally a western jetsons game where you used a vacum cleaner as a weapon to stick to walls and suck up enemies. In Japan they redid the game but kept the same mechanics in it, instead of a vac you have a weird disembodied red demon head that does all the sucking for you. With this head you can stick to walls floors & ceilings to navigate your way around levels, it's pretty fun to control.

Box art

screens

The game really does suck, and it blows too lol. Puns aside it's a pretty nice platform game released quite late into the super famicoms life cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
      This evening been playing another newly found super famicom game called youkai buster ruka no daibouken, it's

The game really does suck, and it blows too lol. Puns aside it's a pretty nice platform game released quite late into the super famicoms life cycle.
      I think I played it on my Everdrive a while back, but I never got around to playing it properly. It certainly looks really nice -- I much prefer the Japanese redesign. I'll bung it on the SNES Mini later today and see what I think.

Comment

I went back to this really nice SFC game called 'Holy Striker[aka Firestriker]. It's like Arkanoid mixed with a cute RPG. The graphics are a bit basic but full of charm. The music is nice quality and perfectly suits the action. It's also fun to play and quite addictive, so I'll award it a solid 8/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

I went back to this really nice SFC game called 'Holy Striker[aka Firestriker]. It's like Arkanoid mixed with a cute RPG. The graphics are a bit basic but full of charm. The music is nice quality and perfectly suits the action. It's also fun to play and quite addictive, so I'll award it a solid 8/10.
          Good game. Spiritsphere on Switch is similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
            Good game. Spiritsphere on Switch is similar.
            And I thought Holy Striker had quite simple graphics.

Comment

That actually looks like fun, we’ll i know what I’m playing this evening. Cheers for the recommendation Leon.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                That actually looks like fun, we’ll i know what I’m playing this evening. Cheers for the recommendation Leon.
                It's such a gem of a game --- I will be playing it a lot this week. I might up my rating from 8/10.

Comment

Combined NES and SNES classic mini worldwide sales are now estimated to be at 10 million.

Imagine how many more that figure might have been if Nintendo hadn't been so insistent on deliberately d1cking around with the NES mini production line in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                    Combined NES and SNES classic mini worldwide sales are now estimated to be at 10 million.

I always knew that a retro sort of console from Nintendo could be a big thing. When I talked about my dream of Nintendo making a Mini SNES years before they announced one, it was because I recognised that retro gaming was a big thing and a respected company like Nintendo should take advantage of the interest.

So, I still think something like a SNES Mini - but with the ability to buy new 16-bit style games for it - could really appeal to millions of gamers. There's definitely quite a large market for retro-style games that offer charming graphics and pick-up-and-play experiences.

I'd definitely buy something like a SNES Mini that offers brand new 16-bit style games from all sorts of interesting developers. I don't think my idea would be seen as so crazy now that the NES & SNES Minis have sold 10+ million.

Maybe just a console that is focused on retro style experiences would be ideal -- you wouldn't have to worry about the hardware if the games were guaranteed to offer retro 8/16-bit sort of experiences. It would be all about the games feeling retro next to all the modern blockbusters. A console that's a home for more old school gaming.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 31-10-2018, 08:01.

Comment

Time for an update as i haven't posted in this thread in a while but i am still enjoying my minis most weeks. Today an accessory arrived which i had been waiting quite a few months for as the damn things release date kept getting pushed back but it's finally here.

The cyber gadget retro design hdmi selector 3 in 1

If you are obsessive and have multiple minis like myself then you may be running out of HDMI ports, Cyber gadget decided to make a nice solution. Well you could just get a standard hdmi hub but lets face it that's just boring, instead get a teeny tini famicom disk system that can handle 3 of your hdmi inputs into one socket on your tv. While the cardboard storage box was fun it didn't match that well but this one does a surprisingly good job of looking like a real disk system. They even replicated the Nintendo font and the placing of the text to make it look like the original. Sadly where the led disk access light goes there is the input for the remote instead so there's no light, im extremely tempted to open it up and solder in a 3mm red led but apart from that it's spot on for looks.

Around the back is the 3 inputs on the bottom and on the top the output to the tv.

Looks fab with the famicom sat on top pimped out with the decals. The yellow eject button on the front is used to switch inputs but if will auto display whichever input is powered on if there's more than one powered at the same time then you can use the button to switch between the 3.

If you don't want to get up to select your input it comes with a bit of a disappointing janky cheap as hell looking remote

If i had been making it i'd have made the remote look like the disk system ram adapter that goes in the cart slot so when not in use it could sit on the top of the famicom making it look even more realistic but it only cost £15 so it's not a huge deal that the remote is janky.

One thing i have to mention though is buyer beware as when it got released on amazon japan the reviews all came in and they were not kind it seems the quality varies a lot, someones didn't even work properly as the image kept glitching and stuttering in the video they provided. Also it seems the included remote the buttons are incorrectly labelled which is evident as someone in the factory put some stickers on the buttons at the last minute which look super cheap & tacky lol. Thankfully i wont be using that jank remote, but when all is said & done it's a really nice thing & thankfully mine works without any graphical glitches also no lag introduced either as i played super mario & mr gimmick to test as those 2 games are good when it comes to me testing lag.
                      Last edited by importaku; 07-12-2018, 22:28.

Comment

Reggie says that production of both Classic Minis will officially end after this holiday season and that both Classic Minis will no longer be available (in North America at least) once the stock runs out.

Given that this is Reggie (known for his bullsh1t) and given Nintendo's past form with the Classic Minis, pinches of salt may be needed to go with this news but it does feel like consumer demand has finally been satisfied for these. Also, the will-they-won't-they? question of the N64 Classic Mini still lingers to a degree so you could imagine Nintendo getting ready to clear their production lines to focus on it if it is going to happen.
                        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 14-12-2018, 15:25.

Comment

Lol reggie is like a sock puppet he’s told what to say by japan. If it’s true though it means the scalpers are gonna start hoarding and trying to push the price up. Hopefully anyone who wanted one has one by now.

Comment

Just to point out that you can't install Retroarch (and therefore other systems) without using Hakchi CE. As I found out after spending half a day prepping covers and release dates for games only to have to use another version of Hakchi when I wanted to add GBA.

edit: I'm wrong, but CE makes it easier than downloading an archive. Just saying.
                            Last edited by kryss; 03-01-2019, 05:55.

Comment

The Nintendo Classic Minis look likely to overtake the Wii U for lifetime sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                                The Nintendo Classic Minis look likely to overtake the Wii U for lifetime sales.
                                I always knew Nintendo should embrace the retro scene with Mini consoles. If the marketing had been better for the NES & SNES Minis, even more could have been sold.

Comment

Working...
                                X