No announcement yet.

The Nintendo classic (not so) mini thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats why i'm looking forward to that famicom disk system hdmi switcher as it means i can have 3 minis hooked up to one hdmi port.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
      Thats why i'm looking forward to that famicom disk system hdmi switcher as it means i can have 3 minis hooked up to one hdmi port.
      Aye, I saw that one. I’m already using a HDMI switch in my living room and I kinda don’t want to spend money on another one to use it for the PS3 and SNES Classic

Comment

Horror games are pretty uncommon on the famicom, there was one i wanted to try for a while but it only exists in prototype form, it was cancelled in Japan but Bandai decided to release it in the west as monster party with changed graphics and some of the bosses changed as it uses a lot of parodies from various films for the bosses. The famicom version was found & dumped a few years ago but seeing as there is no boxart for the Japanese version i couldn't add it to my mini, decided to do something about it and made a box for it. Not the best effort as i don't have artistic skills but it's kind of official ish looking enough to blend in.

Parody world monster party

The game has tons of blood in it starting at the title screen as the various bosses scroll by underneath & yes that is some fried food on a stick lol. One of the bosses is in a room with 2 teleporter pods like a parody of the fly but they had a wordplay joke and you have to attack the fry instead. A ebi fry pops out that you have to kill it, the boss has 2 more forms of an onion ring and a pile of stuff on a stick but sadly the proto only has its fried shrimpy form the other 2 only appeared in the us version.

Gloriously gruesome, i love it.

The first level starts out all happy looking with just a few weird things like legs sticking out of platforms and posessed highschool boys.

Until you pass halfway through the level past a cactus tree and then the entire level goes crazy and everything shows it's true messed up form.

To complete the level you need the key to unlock the exit door at the end. There are doorways containing bosses one of them holds the key when you kill them. All the bosses are parodies from various films, laughed my ass off when i went into one room and there's an monster laying on the floor with a fly buzzing around and he says i'm sorry i'm already dead and then proceeds to snuff it before you can do anything. The one in the pic is the first boss room you find containing Audrey II from little shop of horrors.

Love this games quirky sense of humour & messed up gruesome graphical style, glad the original was found & released.
        Last edited by importaku; 23-09-2018, 13:26.

Comment

Love this games quirky sense of humour & messed up gruesome graphical style, glad the original was found & released.
          I will definitely be adding it to my Mini. I will copy how you did the box art.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
            I will definitely be adding it to my Mini. I will copy how you did the box art.
            I didn't think anyone would want my janky frankenstein pieced together box but you can have it to use if you like.

Feel free to improve it to make it look like a more real box as the basic colours make it stand out a bit but when shrunk it looks a bit better.

Comment

I didn't think anyone would want my janky frankenstein pieced together box but you can have it to use if you like.

I put your design on a black Famicom cart. I'll see how it looks on the Mini.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 23-09-2018, 20:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

I put your design on a black Famicom cart. I'll see how it looks on the Mini.
                It works a lot better as a cart label.

Comment

Hey, I’m playing Ganpuru these days too, importaku. I’m at the second dungeon’s boss and he’s taking forever to kill. Apparantly I’m not shooting him right before he does his shotgun move so maybe that’s why.

Also saw that you mentioned FC horror games earlier. Definitely check out Sweet Home with the fan translation. Much of it was later re-imagined in the first Resident Evil game.

Actually got another Super Famicom Classic today. I don’t know how but my old one is dead, so I’ve been playing on my European unit. I’ll just keep this new one unopened on my shelf. Think my son broke the old SFC - he was sat on the floor banging it against the door while he had a Toad amiibo in his mouth. Cheeky bugger

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                    Hey, I’m playing Ganpuru these days too, importaku. I’m at the second dungeon’s boss and he’s taking forever to kill. Apparantly I’m not shooting him right before he does his shotgun move so maybe that’s why.

Also saw that you mentioned FC horror games earlier. Definitely check out Sweet Home with the fan translation. Much of it was later re-imagined in the first Resident Evil game.

Actually got another Super Famicom Classic today. I don’t know how but my old one is dead, so I’ve been playing on my European unit. I’ll just keep this new one unopened on my shelf. Think my son broke the old SFC - he was sat on the floor banging it against the door while he had a Toad amiibo in his mouth. Cheeky bugger
                    Ah you're further than me on ganpuru im at the second dungeon but only about halfway through it everything is killing me so i backed out and started exploring the enviroment to try & find some useful upgrades. It is a fun game though very zelda in it's mechanics & yet different enough that it doesn't outright feel like a zelda clone. Sweet home is already on my mini but it's damn hard, i have no clue where to go or what to do but i refuse to look at a walkthrough for it as i want to see if i can do it. The fan translation is pretty awesome, one of the nice upsides of these machines. Been able to play translations is a nice extra. Found a interesting horror game on the usa nes called ghoul school, it's very much a metroidvania style game the school is huge but the graphics are great & the puzzles fun too but damn it's big with a lot of backtracking. Save states are a godsend.

Yikes that poor mini, yeah best keep that way out of reach of your kid hehe.

Comment

Decided to order a Famicom Mini as well now as I have no idea where my launch model is. I’ve had terrible luck with these things

Downloaded everything I want last night so I’m ready. Here’s my games list including some games from the original list:

Akumajou Special: Boku Dracula-kun
                      Castlevania
                      Castlevania 3
                      Cocoron
                      Doki! Doki! Yuuenchi: Crazy Land Daisakusen
                      Double Dragon II: The Revenge
                      DuckTales
                      DuckTales 2
                      Ganbare Goemon! Karakuri Douchuu
                      Ganbare Goemon 2
                      Gradius
                      Hebereke
                      Kirby’s Adventure
                      Kyatto Ninden Teyandee
                      Mega Man 2
                      Mega Man 3
                      Mr. Gimmick
                      Ninja Gaiden
                      Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti
                      Super Mario Bros. 3
                      Sweet Home
                      Wanpaku Kokkun no Gourmet World

Comment

A solid selection of games, your list is nearly identical to mine. Good game taste hehe, never tried kyatto ninden teyandee all I know is it’s a platformer and called samurai pizza cats in the west. I have a lot of platformers already installed but have yet to try that one. Worth a play?

Found a shooter called abadox last night from watching a YouTube vid, love its organic levels. Kind of a cool concept of flying inside a living alien to kill its core feels a bit like salamander in that respect.

Comment

Found a shooter called abadox last night from watching a YouTube vid, love its organic levels. Kind of a cool concept of flying inside a living alien to kill its core feels a bit like salamander in that respect.

You really do find a lot of NES/Famicom gems. Abadox will be going straight on my MIni later today.

Comment

It shows me how little I actually experienced back in the 90’s when I owned a nes as I keep finding so many games I never even knew about. As a kid I only had a handful of games for mine and they were all the regular Nintendo first party stuff. Little did I know in Japan were all these games waiting to be found. Even gone through gamefaqs filtering the lists to just japan and going through them and YouTubing any titles that have interesting names. Sadly I’m at 90 capacity so for one to go on another has to get archived.

On the western nes front I found digger t rock & totally rad last night too, digger has a boulder dash/spelunker feel to it and totally rad feels like a megaman game with amazing bosses and cringy surfer tude dialogue.

Be warned abadox is hard hard hard, it’s kicking my ass but really fun too. It’s unusual as it has vertically scrolling levels where you go down instead of up. It mixes up horizontal & vertical nicely. The Japanese box art is really nice too compared to the garish USA one.
                            Last edited by importaku; 25-09-2018, 13:51.

Comment

The Japanese box art is really nice too compared to the garish USA one.

I rushed straight to eBay to see if it might be a game I can afford, but it's £100 minimum. If I could afford it, a copy would be on the way to me now. The game not only looks really nice, but the box and cart art are also excellent. It's just my cup of tea when it comes to games I'd like to own.

The thing is - I had a NES back in the day, but didn't keep it for long. So I never got to explore the wide NES/Famicom library of games. Of course, I knew about a lot of them, but there are loads I hadn't heard of. Then I bought an RGB NES a couple of years ago and an Everdrive, then I started to explore the Famicom side of things with fun games like Gimmick. Now with the NES Mini, I'm really being picky about what games I put on it. So I'm slowly adding games - most of them being games you recommend.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 25-09-2018, 14:08.

Comment

It shows me how little I actually experienced back in the 90’s when I owned a nes as I keep finding so many games I never even knew about. As a kid I only had a handful of games for mine and they were all the regular Nintendo first party stuff.
                                Similar feeling here. I had computers before getting a Megadrive at age 10, but I didn't play my first RPG until Final Fantasy VII when I was about 16. I really wish I'd discovered JRPGs when I was younger; I might've gotten a SNES as a kid and played some of those early greats.

Comment

Working...
                                X