Frasier: The Silver Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Probably best not to judge a comedy by the trailer as I find they often take a while to get into. It has a vibe of a mediocre forgotten sitcom from 15 years ago which they’ve now edited the Fraiser character into.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        Probably best not to judge a comedy by the trailer as I find they often take a while to get into. It has a vibe of a mediocre forgotten sitcom from 15 years ago which they’ve now edited the Fraiser character into.
        Funnily enough the "smells really good" bit was the only part of that which raised a chuckle.

Comment

Watched the first episode this week.

Seems pretty Frasier. Only weird thing about the setting, for me, is how...

Frasier has a hang-up about his son becoming a fireman.

I could've understood if his son was a layabout, because he would want his son to be a high-achiever.

But becoming a fireman is among the most difficult jobs a person can get, and Frasier had developed, over the course of his own show, immense respect for his father, who was a policeman.

It feels weird that he's not really proud of his son.

Comment

In terms of justifying itself, the only real angle I can see with the arc for the new show would be to focus on Frasier having failed to develop as a character. He's fairly different in Cheers which was dialled up to 11 for Frasier but over the course of the show Frasier never really changes while those around him eventually go through some key changes in their lives. For the new show it might make the son element work if it's reflective of Frasier continuously winding himself backward and him needing to get over his worst excesses like Niles did to some extent, in order to finally get on with his son, be happy with a partner etc

Comment

I’ve watched four episodes and it’s not doing it for me at all. Kelsey Grammar is superb as always but everything else is a bit of a struggle. I was kind of hoping it would click for me - I find most comedies, even great ones, can take a few episodes for that to happen. It hasn’t happened yet. Freddie has nothing. He’s so generic. The nephew character is trying to stand in for Niles and just can’t do it, but then who could? I don’t blame the actor. The problem was trying to repeat the character traits with someone else. And the show is caught in this weird limbo of being too different and yet not different enough. I don’t think it’s as brave as it should have been. I’ll probably watch a few more episodes but it’s not working for me.

Comment

It's a funny one for me. Deep down I know it's nothing amazing ... yet somehow it does enough to deliver the classic Frasier, sitcom and nostalgia feels I tune in for. I enjoyed season 1 on the whole but it feels like it has room to improve.

Comment

"Frasier" Renewed For A Second Season - Dark Horizons

Comment

Working...
                  X