Recommend me a record player and amp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend me a record player and amp.

Even I'm not sure what forum this should be in, here or music, films and TV.

Anyway, been spending a few nights at a friends and it's been great listening to vinyl again, despite his set up not being amazing I've loved the sound. For anyone here listening to a lot of vinyl, what's your set up, and what would you recommend. Maybe up to £1500 for the deck and amp. I want to keep it separate from my home cinema set up, but I already have a nice high end pair of speakers to use with it so don't need to worry about that aspect.

Cool!

Can't recommend as such but I'm very happy with a Project Debut Carbon turntable. Comes with an ortofon red cart but obviously you can upgrade that if you feel the need. Has a carbon tonearm hence the name. Only plays 33s and 45s, motor speed is governed by AC voltage so no adjustments necessary but if you took it abroad there might be issues?
    To switch between 33 and 45 requires moving the belt between pulleys.

I have a Cambridge audio pre amp that has also served well for about 8 years.

Comment

If you're not familiar with setting up a deck then I'd advise buying new and if you're doing that it's worth booking a demo with your local Hi-fi dealer. Project and Rega are the go-to companies for turntables on a budget. The Clearaudio Concept is a great plug and play TT for a grand but £500 worth of amp and phono stage might not do it justice.

Comment

Asked this question recently and an audiophile friend who spends megabucks on audio told me this is the best pricepoint/value for money for a record player:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

In terms of amp go with Cambridge Audio, a reference deck if you can afford it (£1100-1300) would be sweet.

Comment

I'd recommend Technics for the turntable, not sure if they still make them but there is an Ebay shop Clearance Online which sells ex demo units.

Comment

SL1200s are back! Expensive though.

Comment

Get a second hand amp so you can use the savings on the turntable and cartridge.

Comment

I used to have a Rega Planar 2. It was lush with a marantz amp and tannoy floorstanders

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations all. Was at a friends who had a Rega in his set up, I think I'll start there.

Comment

Tony Blackburn?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      SL1200s are back! Expensive though.
                      Crikey yes, remember them from the early 80's. Technics was/is great kit. Any nightclub worth it's salt in those days had Technics turntables and cassette decks

Comment

Working...
                      X