Nintendo 64 + composite + HDMI converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nintendo 64 + composite + HDMI converter

Used on either a Dell UltraSharp 24 inch or a Philips 55 inch 4K TV. CRT not an option, would like to keep my girlfriend and my son.

Will I survive?
    Last edited by Nico87; 27-07-2018, 15:13.

Is the converter just converting the signla or is it also applying some sort of sharpening/upscaling to it?
    To be honest, this is a very personal subject. I think I would survive if I'm able to set the correct aspect ratio. I can withstand blurry graphics but not the wrong aspect ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
      Found this after a minute of research, mainly cause it has a lot of positive reviews. Doesn’t the 64 default to 4:3 like the GameCube does?
      Yeah, but monitors usually spread the image all over the panel, so the image will be stretched. it's strange a monitor won't be able to force 4:3, but you never know.
      That adapter also upscales, don't expect miracles but it'll be surely better than connecting the console directly to the monitor.

Comment

I see, my NTSC GameCube hooked up with HDMI through the GCHD adapter displays 4:3 with borders on my 55 inch. Same with the Dell SuperSharp monitor. Didn’t have to change TV/monitor settings at all.

The N64 Ultra HDMI kit is supposed to be amazing but I kinda don’t want to shell out the money for kit+installation+shipping or an already modded system. Gonna build a Japanese collection and use an Everdrive for the actual gaming so it would cost me like $700-800 just for the system + Everdrive.
        Last edited by Nico87; 27-07-2018, 15:34.

Comment

At least get it RGB modded and go with an OSSC.

Where are you getting $700-800 quotes for a HDMI system? That's crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
            At least get it RGB modded and go with an OSSC.

Where are you getting $700-800 quotes for a HDMI system? That's crazy!
            System + shipping + Everdrive. No room for an OSSC around the 55 inch. Might be an option for the UltraSharp. Would prefer to play on the telly though.
            Last edited by Nico87; 27-07-2018, 16:38.

Comment

Getting the urge again. Realistically, what can I expect with composite + https://www.amazon.com/enKo-Products.../dp/B00I482KZI on a 1080p 24 inch Dell UltraSharp?

Comment

I would anticipate a blurry, laggy mess. Composite is the lowest quality of analogue video there is, doesn't lend itself well to upscaling - even with good/expensive scalers.

Comment

System + shipping + Everdrive. No room for an OSSC around the 55 inch. Might be an option for the UltraSharp. Would prefer to play on the telly though.
                  An OSSC is about the same size as that eNko by the look of it.

Comment

So what I would need is a JP 64, European PSU, OSSC, HDMI cable? Can I use the included composite cables or should I get something else?

How does OSSC play with HDMI switchers? Shouldn’t be an issue, right?

Comment

First stumbling block is
                      OSSC needs RGsB scary, component or vga input; no composite.

It does work with hdmi switchers though yes, and also with devices like a dvdo edge for example.

Comment

Oh ok, an RGB modded 64 then. Are there different types of RGB modes? Which one is recommended?

What about something like this?

Last edited by Nico87; 18-10-2018, 17:36.

Comment

You know what, screw it. I can play the Rare games on Xbox One, Super Mario 64 on Wii U/DS, Sin & Punishment, Kirby 64 and some others on Wii U, and Bangai-O Spirits is close enough to the 64 game. Custom Robo 64 is supposed to be better than the GC one but I’ll live. Bet Nintendo will release a N64 Classic anyway.

Sorry for the trouble

Comment

Bet Nintendo will release a N64 Classic anyway.
                            I think an N64 Mini will make a lot of people happy, simply because you'll get full screen 60Hz and a really clear image, all through HDMI. Simples!

I just hope it can be hacked to add more games. There aren't many third party games I'd put on it though.

Comment

Working...
                            X