No announcement yet.

It should have been ported.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the biggest travesty is Streets of Rage Remake. Such a brilliant game and a great example of amateur coding. Come on Sega, swallow your pride and bring it out legitimately.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDeadFreak View Post
      I think the biggest travesty is Streets of Rage Remake. Such a brilliant game and a great example of amateur coding. Come on Sega, swallow your pride and bring it out legitimately.
      Let's be honest: Streets of Rage as a franchise has always been massively overrated.

The only redeeming feature of them is Yuzo Koshiro's music. The first game was rank average, the second one is the best in the trilogy but only because it aped a lot of what made Capcom/Konami beat-em-ups so good and the third game was just a hot mess that proved that SoR had well and truly jumped the shark.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
        the second one is the best in the trilogy but only because it aped a lot of what made Capcom/Konami beat-em-ups so good and the third game was just a hot mess that proved that SoR had well and truly jumped the shark.
        The second game is not only really well designed, but it takes full advantage of the MD tech. It's a top quality game in all areas. The fact that it plays really well, cements its status as a classic game. When you look at how many terrible scrolling beat 'em ups appeared on 16-bit consoles, it's little wonder that people went crazy for SOR2 and have sung its praises for decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          The second game is not only really well designed, but it takes full advantage of the MD tech. It's a top quality game in all areas. The fact that it plays really well, cements its status as a classic game. When you look at how many terrible scrolling beat 'em ups appeared on 16-bit consoles, it's little wonder that people went crazy for SOR2 and have sung its praises for decades.
          Meh.

That may well be, but I personally just didn't see anything in SoR2 that I hadn't already seen (and seen done better) in Capcom's or Konami's arcade finest beforehand, and it was clear that SoR2 ripped off took massive influences from Street Fighter and Final Fight.

But as I said, Yuzo Koshiro's music on all three games is high-quality. That deserves all due credit.

Comment

Meh.
            Did I say anything about it being better than the best examples of the genre in the arcades? No, I'm just stating the clear fact that it's a great example of the genre on a 16-bit console.

Sadly, the consoles of the time - including the PC Engine - didn't get hardly any top quality scrolling beat 'em ups. Arcade tech of the time was more suited to the genre, but SOR2 running on the MD hardware did an admirable job.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
              Did I say anything about it being better than the best examples of the genre in the arcades?
              Did I say that you said any of that? No, I clearly didn't.

If you actually read what I wrote properly then you'll see that I've underlined it to be my opinion - especially the part where I've literally prefaced a sentence with the words "I personally".

You dig SoR2 and have explained your reasoning for that - cool. Likewise, I don't rate the SoR games much and have explained why I don't. Why, it's almost as if that is how a forum works!
              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 05-08-2018, 12:02.

Comment

Did I say that you said any of that? No, I clearly didn't.
                Well, you keep comparing SOR2 to arcade games. Your opinion that the arcades did scrolling beat 'em ups better than consoles is clear and simple to understand, so I'm just saying that within the context of the genre on home consoles, SOR2 is maybe the best you can get.

So I'm just saying that it's easy to recognise that SOR2 is something truly special in the realm of console gaming. I appreciate why you might prefer the best the arcades had to offer, but I also think SOR2 is a very good example of the genre. It's easy to see why it was popular and is still talked about today. That's not just because it's a well made game, but also because there weren't many rivals to it on consoles like the MD. It was a special game for people who loved the genre, partly because it was so much better than most of the terrible or weak alternatives on consoles like the SNES or MD.

Comment

Simpsons Arcade was on X360 and PS3

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                    Let's Go Jungle 3D

Why this isn't on PS VR is quite beyond me
                    You've said this before and every time I think "YES!".
                    A perfect combination of arcade thrills and gaming immersion.

Maybe it's because the globe screen lets you see a lot of things in your peripheral vision, but the nature of the VR goggles means you're only really looking in one place at a time?

Either way, they should make it work!

Comment

Talking of VR, why not port this to PSVR, Oculus Rift, or whatever:

Or maybe not...

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                        Everyone goes on about Alien vs Predator, but I much preferred Konami’s Aliens which really deserved a home port.
                        Agree, the snes and megadrive could have handled a decent port of this, one of my all time fave arcade games.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                          Talking of VR, why not port this to PSVR, Oculus Rift, or whatever:

Or maybe not...
                          Just you watch. That's the next wave of indie games, right there. I'm serious.

We had super-minimalist stuff, then we had games which aped 8-bit styles, then some indies managed to nail the aesthetic of games like Rocket Knight Adventures and typical 16-bit platformers. This all went to the backdrop of pop culture having nostalgia for the 70s then the 80s.

The 80s fad is burnt out now, and the more forward-thinking indies are imitating mid-90s games. Captain Marvel is set in the 90s.

Stuff like Model-1 Sega titles and the Virtuality games will be the next big thing.

Comment

Originally posted by beecee View Post
                            Agree, the snes and megadrive could have handled a decent port of this, one of my all time fave arcade games.
                            I think that they would have struggled with Alien Vs Predator. That game has so much happening on screen!

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                              Just you watch. That's the next wave of indie games, right there. I'm serious.

We had super-minimalist stuff, then we had games which aped 8-bit styles, then some indies managed to nail the aesthetic of games like Rocket Knight Adventures and typical 16-bit platformers. This all went to the backdrop of pop culture having nostalgia for the 70s then the 80s.

The 80s fad is burnt out now, and the more forward-thinking indies are imitating mid-90s games. Captain Marvel is set in the 90s.

Stuff like Model-1 Sega titles and the Virtuality games will be the next big thing.
                              This feels very plausible.

On topic, the biggest one for me is Virtua Cop 3. Only played it once in an arcade but it was great.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                                I think that they would have struggled with Alien Vs Predator. That game has so much happening on screen!
                                I was on about aliens, don't disagree with avp, but they handled decent ports of the turtle's scrolling games, so you never know.

Comment

Working...
                                X