No announcement yet.

New old games thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as I know, it's an actual port of the NES code (both the C64 and NES use 65xx processors), rather than a more traditional conversion. This means it behaves exactly like the original, but has slowdown where the NES was doing more in a frame than the C64 could handle.

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
      As far as I know, it's an actual port of the NES code (both the C64 and NES use 65xx processors), rather than a more traditional conversion. This means it behaves exactly like the original, but has slowdown where the NES was doing more in a frame than the C64 could handle.
      That makes sense, thanks for the info

Comment

it's an actual port of the NES code (both the C64 and NES use 65xx processors), rather than a more traditional conversion.
        Maybe it will inspire a port tailored to the C64 hardware. It's impressive but the slowdown is definitely an issue. Giana Sisters is quite similar but without the distinct feel of SMB, so I think a port without much/any slowdown might be possible.

Comment

I got to 6-1 before getting a game over. I'm not sure if it's the emulator but there's a slight delay with the controls for me and that's in retroarch with the frames read ahead option enabled. It means I have to be more careful with my jumps to minimise unintended deaths.

Comment

I gave it a very quick burst in an emulator, but I'm going to try it on my actual C64 at some stage, so I'll see how it plays then (just been a bit busy this weekend!).

Going back to the port, each 8 bit machine works in a very specific way. For example, the NES can display more sprites than the C64, but they're much smaller. Something that's relatively simple on a NES could be quite tricky on a C64, and vice versa. With this port, almost everything to do with video/audio output would still need to be re-written as you're using low level code that depends very much on the architecture of the machine. Because SMB was written for the NES, it takes advantage of the NES hardware. If it had been a C64 game, there would probably be a few small differences that would take advantage of the C64's hardware.

I think this port was all about accuracy, but I'm sure a version of SMB that is very similar to the NES version could be made and it would run at 50fps, but there might be a few small changes to account for the differences between the NES and the C64. Like Leon said, Giana Sisters is a good proof of concept for this. It's definitely an inferior game, but that's probably down to the designer more than the hardware. Of course there may yet be further optimisations to this version, I'm not sure where the project stands.

Someone did actually release another version of SMB which takes a different approach to the graphics, although it's a very early demo that I believe didn't progress any further https://csdb.dk/release/?id=114516
            Last edited by ZipZap; 20-04-2019, 11:13.

Comment

Like Leon said, Giana Sisters is a good proof of concept for this. It's definitely an inferior game, but that's probably down to the designer more than the hardware. Of course there may yet be further optimisations to this version,
              Yeah, Giana Sisters makes you think that a SMB tailored to the C64 hardware might work well. People learned to get more and more out of the C64 harware into the 90s with games like Mayhem in Monsterland, so an early and quite basic NES game like SMB might.be able to run well. Hopefully the fanfare surrounding this C64 SMB will inspire a more optimised version.

Comment

A quite impressive looking new game for the Master System

Comment

Anyone remember that Tomb Raider TV clone, Relic Hunter? The main character's name was Sydney. And now Sydney Hunter. Coincidence?

Comment

I read somewhere that there are still copies of the re-release of Gleylancer in Tokyo stores. I’m wondering if any kind folk here who live in the Land of the Rising Sun might be able to pick me up a copy if you see one in the wild? I’m willing to pay above cost (within reason) for the trouble.

Comment

Columbus Circle are doing a run of Ultracore, pre-orders are up on amazon.jp

Would a kind soul with an account kindly assist me in placing an order? Happy to PayPal or wire funds over. I don’t want to miss out like I did with the Gleylancer re-print.

Incidentally if anyone has a Gleylancer re-print they don’t want then I’d be happy to take it off your hands for a reasonable price

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                        Columbus Circle are doing a run of Ultracore, pre-orders are up on amazon.jp

Would a kind soul with an account kindly assist me in placing an order? Happy to PayPal or wire funds over. I don’t want to miss out like I did with the Gleylancer re-print.

Incidentally if anyone has a Gleylancer re-print they don’t want then I’d be happy to take it off your hands for a reasonable price
                        I'll do it but you'll need to pay the money transfer cost to my bank and shipping. Also, please pay in yen.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                          I read somewhere that there are still copies of the re-release of Gleylancer in Tokyo stores. I’m wondering if any kind folk here who live in the Land of the Rising Sun might be able to pick me up a copy if you see one in the wild? I’m willing to pay above cost (within reason) for the trouble.
                          They're all over Yahoo Japan.

Comment

New Megadrive platformer incoming...

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                              New Megadrive platformer incoming...

Looks a bit NES-esque and maybe quite boring to play. I do think the graphic design is quite nice though. I also like how the gameplay is pacey and smooth. Might turn out to be a good game.

Comment

Kickstarter is now live...https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...token=d45a1f77

Comment

Working...
                                X