Wireless Retro Controllers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Retro Controllers

The 8bitdo pad for the SNES Mini has been a boon for me, no longer having to stretch wires out across the living room (sometimes with extension cables) for retro systems has made me want to make the change with all of my consoles.

As such I want to compile a list of wireless controllers for each system. IR controllers are getting a decent rep here so I'm including them now. They aren't for me personally but worth considering if you find one.

Atari 2600: Atari released their own wireless joysticks in the 80s. They look bulky and unwieldy and I don't know if they're actually good. Probably expensive as well.

NES: 8bitdo have a NES controller but it's a 4 button pad which isn't for me. They do have a conversion kit for both the NES and Famicom controllers however so that's going to be my preferred route.

Konami released an IR pad called the Hyperbeam for the FC in Japan.

SNES: 8bitdo as above. They also do a conversion kit for your regular controllers.

Konami alos released an IR pad called the Hyperbeam for the SFC in Japan.

Megadrive: 8bitdo again have a conversion kit but it's only compatible with the 6 button controller. I can't stand the 3 button pad these days so that's fine by me. You can't buy a receiver for it yet but that will likely change soon.

8bitdo also have a new pad/receiver coming out in February 2019 called the M30 2.4g. It looks kind of cheap from the stock photos tbh but we'll see once it's out.

Retro-Bit are releasing a Bluetooth controller in February 2019. It has thumbsticks and tbh I wish it didn't. I'm not sure about these.

There's also the Joyzz from Krikzz which looks good but is a little pricey and an official IR controller from SEGA.

PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16: NEC have an official IR controller for the PC Engine.

Sega Saturn: There's an official IR controller from SEGA for the Saturn.

Retro-Bit are releasing a Bluetooth controller which appears to be coming out in February 2019 now. It has thumbsticks just like the Megadrive pad they're releasing. I'm not sure about these either but we'll see.

Dreamcast: Dreamconn - Very expensive but super impressive bluetooth controller.

Playstation 1/2: There are several wireless controllers for the PS2 I believe but are any of them actually decent and do they work with the original Playstation? SEGA released their own wireless PS2 controller and I want it so bad.

8bitdo are currently releasing a wireless bluetooth adaptor for the Playstation Classic that works with your PS4 controller. Perhaps in the future one will be released for the PS1/2? I really hope so.

The Brook PS4/PS3 to PS2 Converter allows you to use your PS3/4 controller with a PS1/2. This seems like a great solution although everywhere appears to be out of stock right now so you may have to get one from eBay.

GC: Wavebird naturally.

If there's any more out there tell me so I can update this list!
    Last edited by Cepp; 31-12-2018, 13:40.

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
    Sega Saturn: I don't think anything exists for this either and that really sucks.
    There were definitely official IR pads, or at least, they used official branding.

I don't know if they were any good, and I know they can be quite expensive today.

Comment

Regarding Mega Drive - 8bitdo haven’t got a receiver for the Mega Drive yet have they? So the wireless pad you make using their kit can’t be used on a Mega Drive console.

So I think the Krikzz product is better suited for use on the actual Mega Drive - https://krikzz.com/store/home/52-master-everdrive.html

Cheers
      Pete

Comment

PC-Engine had these wireless pads, they were pretty decent when I used them.

Comment

I found the official Megadrive and Saturn ones to work really well as long as you had them pointed in the general direction of the console.

Comment

Playstation 1/2: There are several wireless controllers for the PS2 I believe but are any of them actually decent and do they work with the original Playstation?
            So weirdly...

Back in the day, the lads at my local gaming shop tried a pad that looked JUST like this, except it was black, and not by Sega. I remember the clear acrylic panel at the top. They tested it by having one of them go into the sandwich shop across the road and he was still able to control the console. It was really quite good.

However I can't for the life of me find the actual pad, just this one. I thought it was by 4Gamers but I don't think it is.

Comment

Those Sega pads are apparently really good, but quite hard to find / expensive when they come up.

I really want a wireless Saturn pad, but the IR ones are always ~£100 when they come up on EBay. I'm waiting on Retrobit's effort. I think they have said it will work via Bluetooth, so work on PC, but also include an adapter for wireless use on an actual Saturn. That sounds ideal to me, but I hope the price is right - I.e not a ton.

Comment

The DreamConn controllers are pricey, but they work really well.

Comment

Cheers guys, I've updated the list and added the infrared pads since quite a few people here have had good experiences with them.

Originally posted by mmmonkey View Post
                  Regarding Mega Drive - 8bitdo haven’t got a receiver for the Mega Drive yet have they? So the wireless pad you make using their kit can’t be used on a Mega Drive console.

So I think the Krikzz product is better suited for use on the actual Mega Drive - https://krikzz.com/store/home/52-master-everdrive.html

Cheers
                  Pete
                  Cheers I missed that! It looks like Krikzz has done a good job with his pad, if there's still no receiver by thanksgiving I might grab one.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  So weirdly...

Back in the day, the lads at my local gaming shop tried a pad that looked JUST like this, except it was black, and not by Sega. I remember the clear acrylic panel at the top. They tested it by having one of them go into the sandwich shop across the road and he was still able to control the console. It was really quite good.

However I can't for the life of me find the actual pad, just this one. I thought it was by 4Gamers but I don't think it is.
                  Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  Those Sega pads are apparently really good, but quite hard to find / expensive when they come up.
                  I would really like to own this controller.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  I really want a wireless Saturn pad, but the IR ones are always ~£100 when they come up on EBay. I'm waiting on Retrobit's effort. I think they have said it will work via Bluetooth, so work on PC, but also include an adapter for wireless use on an actual Saturn. That sounds ideal to me, but I hope the price is right - I.e not a ton.
                  I hope it happens soon.

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                  The DreamConn controllers are pricey, but they work really well.

http://www.dreammods.net/dreamconn.html
                  Very impressive, if I still had a Dreamcast I'd be tempted.

Comment

8bitdo have a new pad/receiver coming out in February 2019 for the MegaDrive called the M30 2.4g. It looks kind of cheap from the stock photos tbh but I'm sure it'll be fine. Hopefully reviews shouldn't be too far away.

Retro-Bit are releasing a MegaDrive Bluetooth controller in February 2019. It has thumbsticks and tbh I wish it didn't. I'm not sure about these.

They're also releasing a Saturn Bluetooth controller in February 2019. It has thumbsticks just like their Megadrive pad. I'm not sure about these either but we'll see.

Finally, 8bitdo are releasing a wireless bluetooth adaptor for the Playstation Classic that works with your PS4 controller and others by the looks of it. Perhaps in the future one could be released for the PS1/2? I really hope so.

Last edited by Cepp; 31-12-2018, 11:06.

Comment

I think the Saturn and Megadrive ones have been pushed back to Feb, according to my pre-orders.
                      3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                        I think the Saturn and Megadrive ones have been pushed back to Feb, according to my pre-orders.
                        OP updated, please let us know what you think of them when they arrive!

Comment

Perhaps in the future one could be released for the PS1/2? I really hope so.
                          I'm almost certain the Brook Super Conveter supports wireless PS3/4 controllers with the PS1/2. I do actually own one, but don't have it set up at the minute. I can test it though if no-one else knows.

I think the same also goes for the Dreamcast.

I sit pretty close, so never really bother with wireless, hence why I can't really remember for certain!

Comment

I've got a pre-order in for the Saturn PC pad (the wireless one). Miiiight cancel it. Not sure yet.

Comment

Konami Hyperbeam for FC and SFC.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X