The Star Trek Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    I just spotted that the first ep of the new season of Picard is on Amazon Prime today. After Discovery getting moved off Netflix and them holding back for their own streaming service, I had assumed the same would probably happen with Picard and Amazon. So it's nice to see that hasn't happened.
    Oh, good news! Thanks for posting this, as I made the same assumption.

Comment

I watched the first episode of the new season of Picard. They kind of kitchen sinked it. I mean, I enjoyed it but I felt like there was almost too much in it. Like I couldn't settle on anything. One thing about the first season is that I felt it went too big and that resulted in a real problem in the ending, resolving things in two rushed, packed, messy episodes that didn't hold up to scrutiny at all. The more gentle episodes I adored. Season 2 has turned things up to 11 in the first episode.

Let's see where this goes.

Comment

Comment

Halfway through episode 2.

Nope.

Edit: ok I’m back on board I think.
          Last edited by Brad; 14-03-2022, 20:30.

Comment

I actually really liked the second episode. The setup was very messy and all too convenient but I still enjoyed it.

Comment

I think anything involving time travel is a massive cop out basically and that wound me up immediately. But, even if it is a cop out that doesn’t mean it can’t be good and by the end I was firmly back on board.

Comment

I actually really liked the second episode. The setup was very messy and all too convenient but I still enjoyed it.
                It seems like Picard's carrying on with appealing to the fans who are okay with "having fun" with Trek, and will continue to probably annoy those people who take the franchise too seriously - so I'm on board again.

It was fun to see those characters sent to an alternate timeline that was, in some ways, reminiscent of the Mirror Universe. Especially for Picard, because The Next Generation never went to the Mirror Universe; the closest they ever got was a warlike timeline in the episode Yesterday's Enterprise, one of the best episodes of the whole show. And Q even references this in the Picard episode.

Comment

Alternate timelines in Trek are a weird one, either Star Trek subscribes to infinite timelines (in which case fans should chill about a lot of stuff) or it doesn't and alternate timeline events should always railroad into the Kelvin timeline which would be interesting as that one is still largely uncharted so there's room to paint quite the relevant alternate history/crossover path there over the years

Comment

Yeah, I'd love a Trek writer to sit me down and explain the difference between an alternate reality and the same reality only where time has been changed. I found it really odd they made that distinction so strongly. Anyway, it's a bit of fun.

I have a vague memory of seeing a Mirror Universe Picard action figure decades ago and getting really excited that something was coming but it never did. It was just a figure. Patrick Stewart is so commanding and can look quite dark when he wants to so I'd say a full on dark Picard would have been great.

And yes, Yesterday's Enterprise was fantastic.

Comment

Yeah, I'd love a Trek writer to sit me down and explain the difference between an alternate reality and the same reality only where time has been changed. I found it really odd they made that distinction so strongly. Anyway, it's a bit of fun.
                      it's a headscratcher. I looked it up years ago. The general thing the writers have said is that in Trek, there are an infinite number of parallel universes and timelines (there are TNG episodes like Parallels all about this), but "the mirror universe" is a special version of this which is somehow strongly bound to our universe, for reasons that are intentionally kept vague and menacing, for storytelling reasons. I think the metaphor used colours; so if our reality is blue, there are infinite different shades of blue; the Mirror Universe is red.

And yes, Yesterday's Enterprise was fantastic.
                      One of the best TNG episodes. Definitely right up there.

Comment

Vampire Diaries actor Paul Wesley will play James T Kirk in Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Season 02

Comment

The fourth season of “Star Trek: Discovery” came to a close this week. For a show that started out seemingly avoiding the tone of classic Trek, the most recent run has re-embraced some of the signature optimism – the finale coming down not to a battle but an appeal for compassion. Producer Olatunde Osunsanmi, who […]

Star Trek: Discovery Season 05 will steer the show to be more closer to classic Trek in tone and themes

Comment

Comment

Any word on whether it will come to blu-ray?

Comment

Had a look and Paramount is keeping it low key due to wanting to keep Paramount+ central in focus but a couple of trek sites have reported it's scheduled for disc release in September

Comment

Working...
                                X