User Tag List

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    No, I think he means the original TV show. Each season represents one year of the five year mission but they only made three seasons. As SF mentions, the animated show picks up some of the rest of it but I'm not sure how much. In terms of the movies, I think Star Trek II is meant to be around 5 years after the first movie and then they seem to continue on pretty much directly after that.

If anyone is interested, there are two massive volumes about Star Trek called 50 Year Mission and I would wholeheartedly recommend them both. I'm a bit of a Star Trek nerd and yet there was a load in these that I didn't know. The best thing for me is that they read like a talking heads documentary, one snippet of interview after another, and yet some recollections don't match so you can often get very different sides of what happened at particular times. You also get a few people let their guard down and come out of it looking like pretty terrible people too. It makes for interesting reading.

I think I've narrowed down the first issue with the timeline. Enterprise features extensive storytelling focused on both the Temporal Cold War and the Temporal War but I can't seem to find anything that suggests that all the timey wimey shenanigans depicted in the show were directly contradictory to the other Prime Timeline events as opposed to simply being unmentioned canon until the show aired. Especially as the shows closing scene is one revealing it's effectively recorded history viewed by the Next Gen crew.

Assuming this:

/ DIS - TOS - ATOS - ST1-6 - TNG - ST7 - DS9 - ST8-9 - VGR - ST10 - PIC
    Enterprise
    \ ST11-13

Quote Originally Posted by Superman Falls View Post
    I think I've narrowed down the first issue with the timeline. Enterprise features extensive storytelling focused on both the Temporal Cold War and the Temporal War but I can't seem to find anything that suggests that all the timey wimey shenanigans depicted in the show were directly contradictory to the other Prime Timeline events as opposed to simply being unmentioned canon until the show aired. Especially as the shows closing scene is one revealing it's effectively recorded history viewed by the Next Gen crew.
    Yeah, Enterprise is definitely part of the Prime timeline and is self-contained, i.e. its time-travel shenanigans both start and end during the series' run. I remember back when the show came out, one of the show-runners got very irritated at a comic-con by a fan who insisted the show wasn't canon, and he stated black-and-white that it was supposed to be.

The only thing Enterprise is guilty of is being a bit contrived. For instance, the ship is always referred to as something like "the Earth alliance ship: Enterprise" because the federation doesn't exist until the end of the show; this is because TNG had established how many prior Enterprises there were - I think it was in that episode where Crusher ends up alone on the ship. Also when the Borg show up in Enterprise, they never say the phrase "we are the Borg", purely to ensure the crew never find out what they are called and preserving when the crew meet them in TNG. Oh, and the way they tried to explain how the Klingons look different between the original show and the later shows. Again, all pretty contrived and not necessary.

These were a really big part of why Abrams got so much free reign on the new Trek movies; he was basically told that they're going to rip up the rulebook and consciouslly piss off the anal retentive fans in favour of pleasing everyone else - something that Trek had needed for a long time.

There's also another splinter, the "anti-time future" that occurs at the end of Star Trek TNG, but they've already made clear that this doesn't represent the direction in which the show was moving (events in the Trek movies already countermand it).
    Last edited by Asura; 07-08-2018 at 01:31 PM.

I didn't stick with Enterprise so it's the one big gap in my Trek lore. I watched some of the first season and dropped out. In all honesty, possibly less about Enterprise than overdosing on the rest and sticking with Voyager but I was definitely disappointed that Enterprise presented itself as different and yet was more the same than ever. At least up to the point I left the show.

I enjoy that the Kelvin movies keep nodding to Enterprise. I guess it makes some sense given it's the only existing Star Trek show that's canon to it but in Star Trek XI there's a reference to Archer and his dog (I think Scotty killed it or something), in Into Darkness there's a model of the NX-01 in an office and Beyonds much more direct references to the Xindi. Particularly amusing given the shows rep.

Season 3 of Enterprise was pretty gold though, S4 was guff.

Yeah I had heard the show got much better for a while and was worth watching. I might revisit it at some point. I love Trek but I think the break was sorely needed and it certainly allowed me to come back to the show fresh for the new batch of movies and Discovery. Had the TV shows just kept on going, I don't think I'd have bothered.

Picked up the complete box set of enterprise. Decent or cobblers?.

Quote Originally Posted by dvdx2 View Post
    Picked up the complete box set of enterprise. Decent or cobblers?.
    I think it's similar to Voyager in that it has some very good bits and some middling bits, but overall is worth watching. I think, personally, that while both shows have some parts which are bad, Voyager dips lower, because when Enterprise is bad it's usually a bit more novel, whereas Voyager just becomes dull to a seasoned Trek watcher when they recycle/rework old plots in the later seasons (though it ends extremely well).

To respond to @Dogg Thang - yes, it does get better. It was shakey at first, with some good moments, but it gets on its feet with the season about the Xindi. The problem, though, is that the setup and the ending are better than what goes in-between. Avoiding spoilers, the season is about the crew going into uncharted space to stop a super-weapon that will destroy the Earth in precisely 1 year; I think we were all excited that we'd see the crew get torn to bits and really struggle with their ethics; however while things get a bit darker, they don't get grim.

There is an episode of Voyager, called Equinox, where the crew meet another ship which has basically thrown out their Federation ethics and are doing anything illegal required to get home. There's also an episode called Year of Hell where the Voyager is nearly destroyed and the crew go through very trying experiences that stretch them to breaking point. These were probably the high points of that entire show.

I think many of us expected the Xindi Arc of Enterprise to be a whole season of this, and it wasn't. That's why people were disappointed.

Yeah, the Xindi Season didn't go all out but I think it leapt beyond the first two seasons because it finally brought a proper sense of arc to the show that it had never had before or until Discovery. Having the crew go through a storyline that lasted the season and the long term effects on them and the ship I felt really gave it a kick up the backside but rather than build on that S4 goes in the exact opposite direction and all that momentum was lost, not surprising that the axe followed.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/klingons...-discovery-s2/

The Klingons will get a facelift in Season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery and start to look more TNG like