No announcement yet.

The Star Trek Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I had heard the show got much better for a while and was worth watching. I might revisit it at some point. I love Trek but I think the break was sorely needed and it certainly allowed me to come back to the show fresh for the new batch of movies and Discovery. Had the TV shows just kept on going, I don't think I'd have bothered.

Comment

Picked up the complete box set of enterprise. Decent or cobblers?.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
        Picked up the complete box set of enterprise. Decent or cobblers?.
        I think it's similar to Voyager in that it has some very good bits and some middling bits, but overall is worth watching. I think, personally, that while both shows have some parts which are bad, Voyager dips lower, because when Enterprise is bad it's usually a bit more novel, whereas Voyager just becomes dull to a seasoned Trek watcher when they recycle/rework old plots in the later seasons (though it ends extremely well).

To respond to [MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION] - yes, it does get better. It was shakey at first, with some good moments, but it gets on its feet with the season about the Xindi. The problem, though, is that the setup and the ending are better than what goes in-between. Avoiding spoilers, the season is about the crew going into uncharted space to stop a super-weapon that will destroy the Earth in precisely 1 year; I think we were all excited that we'd see the crew get torn to bits and really struggle with their ethics; however while things get a bit darker, they don't get grim.

There is an episode of Voyager, called Equinox, where the crew meet another ship which has basically thrown out their Federation ethics and are doing anything illegal required to get home. There's also an episode called Year of Hell where the Voyager is nearly destroyed and the crew go through very trying experiences that stretch them to breaking point. These were probably the high points of that entire show.

I think many of us expected the Xindi Arc of Enterprise to be a whole season of this, and it wasn't. That's why people were disappointed.

Comment

Yeah, the Xindi Season didn't go all out but I think it leapt beyond the first two seasons because it finally brought a proper sense of arc to the show that it had never had before or until Discovery. Having the crew go through a storyline that lasted the season and the long term effects on them and the ship I felt really gave it a kick up the backside but rather than build on that S4 goes in the exact opposite direction and all that momentum was lost, not surprising that the axe followed.

Comment

It turns out it won’t just be the first season of CBS All Access’ “Star Trek: Discovery” that will see a major redesign of the Klingons – the upcoming second season will also reimagine the warrior race’s visual aesthetic. The show’s makeup designer Glenn Hetrick appeared at a panel at Star Trek Las Vegas this […]

The Klingons will get a facelift in Season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery and start to look more TNG like

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post

The Klingons will get a facelift in Season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery and start to look more TNG like
              It's funny how the designer can't just admit "I got the Klingon design wrong", but instead chose to pretend that the change in design for Season 2 is about exploring Klingon culture on a wider level.

There were quite a few things I disliked about Discovery, but the Klingons - both in the way they look and talk - was the main annoyance. I would guess that would score quite high in a poll of things people didn't like.

Maybe the producers will change other things to create a more familiar Star Trek vibe. I found Season 1 to be too dark and serious. I did enjoy some of the episodes in the latter part of the season though, so I think a few tweaks could make Season 2 more satisfying for fans of Star Trek and those just looking for an interesting sci-fi show.

Comment

Arguing over money

Comment

Feels like they’d have a hard time without Pine unless... they found a way to get Shatner back for one. But the idea that they should drop budget feels exactly right. The Trek films are a prime example of films that have an audience, are popular and are making money even when they underperform (like Beyond) but are struggling because they cost too much to make. They’re not going to bring in Star Wars money (even Star Wars can’t guarantee that) so it makes sense to budget them accordingly. If everyone in them expects a huge pay check, the films just won’t get made.

Comment

At this point it feels a little wrong that Shatner won't get a reprieve whilst there's still chance, especially in a time travel base film where Generations isn't canon. He always seems to get dropped

From what I can gather Paramount already had a deal in place with Pine that covered Beyond and ST14 so if true, then I get why them coming back to him later and saying "take a pay cut" isn't going to fly with him. I completely agree about how Star Treks should be more economically budgeted but ST11-13 were fairly consistent in budget and earnings at least to a degree where they can't claim the franchise doesn't warrant it when they already paid it last time around. Totally depends on if it's an existing agreement though, if not then it's all fair play but one thing Pine would be wise to consider is that the role can be a lifelong one which is an opportunity few actors enjoy.

Hemsworth, I'd just recast. He was in barely 10 minutes of one film and several non-Thor films have shown his presence doesn't sell tickets so it's little skin off Paramounts nose to move forward with someone else.

It'd be a shame though to see new cast take over the roles at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      Hemsworth, I'd just recast. He was in barely 10 minutes of one film and several non-Thor films have shown his presence doesn't sell tickets so it's little skin off Paramounts nose to move forward with someone else.
                      This is true, but from a purely personal bias, I think it'd be a shame for them to recast him purely because his part in the first movie (that whole segment) was, to me, the best part of the entire Abrams series.

I also assume it's because they're going to go back in time and undo everything? I've expected them to do this for years.

Comment

The weird thing with hitting the undo button is it'd probably create more issues than it'd fix. The Kelvin timeline is sound and rich with alt-outcome potential, the original timeline much less so as Discovery is proving. I'm happy with TV and Film treading different lines.

Comment

Same. The one blip was where it tried to mimic previous stuff too closely. It works outside of that because it has carved its own reality. Characters can do different things and be different and it works because of this new timeline. As far as reboots go, I still think it was a really clever way to do it.

Comment

On the small screen, the “Star Trek” franchise is looking healthier than it has in years with another season of “Star Trek: Discovery” on the way, new short films, a new Picard series and further shows planned. On the film front however things aren’t going so smoothly as breakdowns in negotiations with Chris Pine and […]

Karl Urban says he's confident the Star Trek XIV pay dispute will be sorted and the film will move forward

Urban also confirmed that the Tarantino entry does involve the current cast but is aiming for an R-rating. It doesn't sound like the script of that entry is dependent on the events of XIV which should downplay rumours of a canon reset. Urban says the R-rating isn't wanted to make the film tonally out of sync with the others, more so to give them to room to make things such as character deaths have more impact than always been shown in a very soft manner. This would presumably confirm that Tarantino's entry is Star Trek XV

Comment

I don't really buy that because there isn't an impact death they couldn't do with a 12 rating these days. R-rating buys you sex, gore and swearing and that's pretty much it. And that's 75% of Tarantino's bag of tricks, with the last 25% being songs ripped from other movie soundtracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                R-rating buys you sex, gore and swearing and that's pretty much it. And that's 75% of Tarantino's bag of tricks, with the last 25% being songs ripped from other movie soundtracks.

Meeeeooow!

Saucer of milk: table two!

Comment

Working...
                                X