Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        That's already been done.

"Babylon 5 is a big pile of ****!"

Comment

**** = GOLD? Good? Nice?

Comment

Spaced reference

Comment

Ah okay! Part of me thinks I should have got that but another part of me thinks that he could have been quoting about a million Trek fans in the '90s so it could have been anyone including himself.

Comment

I was watching some old TNG recently and I never realised as a kid how lousy the wifey who plays Beverley Crush-her is as an actress.

The TNG cast were pretty good in the acting stakes, but her scenes were pretty rank when they called for more than a diagnosis.

Comment

Personally, Stewart aside I don’t think the acting is all that great overall. Don’t get me wrong, I think they did absolutely what they needed to do and they told the stories well with those characters. But where it really jumped out at me was when they shifted to movies. Where the original cast could mostly hold their own on a movie screen among some good movie actors, I found the same couldn’t be said for the Next Gen crew. Possibly partly to do with the material but some characters in small roles out-acted them in their own movies.

Comment

Yeah there’s some truth to that. I guess I mean for a tv series.

I’m all Rike is very ‘tv actor’-esque.
                    Geordie and Troi also.
                    These are very much straight to video actors.

Michael Dorn and Brent Spiner are pretty sound.

RSC is a tour de force and holds the entire show together.

I always found Avery Brooks to be very jilted in delivery. I could never decide if he was a good actor or not. The best performers in DS9 were Andrew Robinson (who played the Zodiac Killer in Dirty Harry) and Colm Meaney (decent in Con Air).
                    Bashir, Odo and Quark are decent tv genre actors.

In Voyager, Seven of Wad improved the acting on the show generally. Janeway was ok, and old Bob Picardo was splendid, but the rest were quite gash.

In hindsight, a lot of Trek actors weren’t great. Kirk, Spock and McCoy were excellent and set a standard rarely matched by most in the universe.
                    Last edited by prinnysquad; 02-08-2019, 17:00.

Comment

Yep, I’d agree with all that except I’m struggling to work out who RSC is... Royal Shakespeare as in Patrick Stewart? Avery Brooks is a weird one because I thought his acting was beyond terrible and then I saw him interviewed and realised that’s just how he is. He’s a strange guy with strange intonation. Lots of character though so I think he got away with it.

Comment

Ha ha you got it! RSC is Patrick Stewart. We only talk in acronyms round these parts.

Brooks i thought was terrible until I realised it was his style. It’s very difficult to watch sometimes and jars terribly. Once I accepted it, I realised that he’s maybe better than I thought - especially during the Dominion arc. Still not convinced, however.

The woman man who plays his love interest - Cassidy Yates is it? - I remember thinking she was DIRE at acting.

Comment

I only barely remember her but yeah. They’ve had some ups and downs on the acting front generally.

Comment

She played Sherry Palmer in 24. She was cack then too.

Comment

The reunification of a media empire is officially underway. After days of negotiations, CBS Corp. has reached an agreement to acquire Viacom which will now take on the name ViacomCBS Inc.. CBS and Viacom announced the agreement Tuesday after more than 48 hours of intense final negotiations between the boards of both companies. The all-stock […]

CBS and Viacom are to re-merge it has been confirmed, the companies have run as separate businesses since 2006 but are merging again to fend off the Super Businesses such as the expanding Disney etc. The new company will be called ViacomCBS and this recombines the Star Trek TV and Movie arms of the business as previously each company held control of different arms - CBS the TV series and Viacom the Movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                Personally, Stewart aside I don’t think the acting is all that great overall. Don’t get me wrong, I think they did absolutely what they needed to do and they told the stories well with those characters. But where it really jumped out at me was when they shifted to movies. Where the original cast could mostly hold their own on a movie screen among some good movie actors, I found the same couldn’t be said for the Next Gen crew. Possibly partly to do with the material but some characters in small roles out-acted them in their own movies.
                                Well, hold on, except for Nichelle Nichols! She’s dreadful! When she’s not delivering a line in the films she just sort of stared vacantly, waiting for her cue.

Comment

Working...
                                X