No announcement yet.

The Star Trek Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DS9 has certainly aged better. That being said, it has a structure which is more compatible with modern viewing habits. Voyager suffers due to this; the show had problems at the time, but that's really compounded when you can watch episodes back-to-back, and it's clear that (1) the show was made by a mixture of writers and (2) those writers don't have a consistent handle on who the characters are.

Comment

Thing with DS9, did it happen or was it really all just in Benny Russell's head

There's not a lot of crossover in the different series, with only a year of TNG running parallel with DS9. Voyager was around for more time with Sisko, but as that ended up in the Delta quadrant in 2371 it didn't get to Quark's bar in DS9 much, even though he was still running it in 2375. Watching them trek timeline chronologically doesn't really add anything for me (if I want Trek these days, I just tend to stick to my fav eps, rather than binge watching - same with Buffy (all hail Joss Whedon)).

In fact there was probably more crossover with ToS series characters in TNG then there ever was with the parallel timeline across TNG/DS9/Voyager. Voyager seemed to lack direction until the end of series three - it was introducing quite a lot of new lore earlier on - Seven of Nine helped cement the ensemble cast (better than Kes did IMO).

Little Green Men DS9 (S04E07), still one of the best episodes of Trek out of the entire lot, but Season 5-7 of DS9 is probably some of the strongest and consistent Trek ever produced, helped by a strong story arc.
      Last edited by MartyG; 07-04-2021, 17:46.

Comment

DS9 remains an odd one for me. Definitely the strongest arc and most distinct of its era but it always felt like an off-shoot more so thanks to the tone and style. Voyager was more 'fluff' but felt more in line with the brand at the time and despite the lower quality bar is one I've always felt a softness for. I probably wouldn't feel the same if The Doctor wasn't in it though, he properly made it.

That being said - The Visitor. I don't think many Trek episodes stay with me as much as that DS9 ep.

Comment

Yeah, Voyager is a bit rough to watch in the beginning, but it is one of those shows that I have come to enjoy more with time. With the later seasons fleshing out Tuvok, EMH and Seven to become great characters. It is unfortunate that they did not build the other characters as much. DS9 is great because of not only the format of longer stories that started happening season 3 onwards, but also that the dialogue was written really well from the get go, and DS9 dared to have themes in it's episodes that even current day Star Trek does not dare, DS9 is still topical.

TNG and DS9 has some interconnectness, with TNG season 6 and 7 focusing more on the Cardassian border to help build the familiarity to DS9. And I think the introduction of Maquis was on TNG season 7. But in terms of DS9 Characters on TNG, much less, Bashir was on TNG season 6 episode "Birthright part 1" (which I just watched today) and I think there was a TNG season 7 episode with Quark. In terms of TOS characters on TNG there was Bones in Encounter at Farpoint, Sarek in Sarek, Scotty in Relics and Spock in Unification, so yeah, itäs more.

Little Green Men is a great episode, my favourite is In The Pale Moonlight.

Comment

Paramount has announced that a new Star Trek movie will launch on 09 June 2023

No other details are yet known on it though

Comment

As part of a recent interview with Heat Vision, “Star Trek: Picard” co-showrunner Akiva Goldsman spoke about the upcoming second season and the backlash the first season received along with fan issues with “Star Trek: Discovery”. First up, he confirms the former Enterprise-D captain’s ‘new body’ won’t impact the new season at all, saying they […]

The producer of Star Trek: Picard has somewhat agreed with criticism of the last few episodes of the first season saying a lesson they've learned is to plan the ending earlier.

Meanwhile it sounds like plans for Star Trek: Section 31 have largely ground to a halt

The upcoming “Star Trek” spin-off series “Strange New Worlds” sounds like it will be the most old school of all the recent Trek shows according to producer Akiva Goldsman. Aside from “Deep Space Nine” with its increasing serialisation over time and the latter half of “Enterprise,” all the Trek shows are noted for their episodic […]

Finally, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is set to be much more episode-of-the-week based than the other recent shows with the plan being for the series to ape TOS in terms of using isolated plots with little in the way of arc. The sets and costumes have also been altered from how they appeared in Discovery to further evoke TOS.

Comment

Producers have talked about “Star Trek: Picard” running for three seasons, and reports cropped up a while back that they developed a third season to be shot back-to-back with the second which is currently in production. Paramount+ has not officially announced a third season, while co-showrunner Akiva Goldsman demurred rather than denied the reports the […]

Q actor John DeLancie has revealed that he is filming six episodes in total with Star Trek: Picard Season 02 being filmed back to back with Star Trek: Picard Season 03.

It's been mentioned before that Season 03 would likely be the last season.

Comment

First trailer for 2022's Star Trek: Picard Season 02

Comment

Looks fine. Very much like season 1.

Comment

Season 1 was a mixed bag. I sort of enjoyed it, but it was clunky. However, star trek shows do tend to take a bit to hit their stride so...

Comment

Matt Shakman has reportedly closed a deal to direct the next “Star Trek” film at Paramount Pictures and Bad Robot. After nearly five years of trying to figure out where to go with the film part of the franchise after “Star Trek Beyond,” the new film seems to be coalescing with the script by Lindsey […]

Matt Shakman, the director of WandaVision, has been hired to helm the next Star Trek movie. Abrams is producing again and whilst unconfirmed as yet it's already been uttered that this will be Star Trek XIV with the returning cast rather than the other standalone projects that are also being worked on. Filming will begin next Spring with this film taking up the 2023 date Paramount had previously announced.

Comment

The case for why Star Trek III: The Search for Spock is among the best Star Trek movies.

Quite enjoyed this. A compelling case for The Search for Spock being a great character piece that’s unfairly maligned.

Comment

Bookmarking it to read tomorrow. Must admit, Search for Spock is my least favourite of the original movies. Yep, I’d rate V higher. So curious to see what they have to say about it.

Comment

It’s intrigued me enough to be keen to give it a rewatch.

Comment

Trailer for Star Trek: Lower Decks Season 02

And Star Trek: Prodigy Season 01

Comment

Working...
                                X