Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Star Trek Cinematic Universe

The Star Trek Cinematic Universe Movie List:
    (In Release Order if Known - Bolded Movies are Released)

01 - Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    02 - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    03 - Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
    04 - Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    05 - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
    06 - Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
    07 - Star Trek: Generations
    08 - Star Trek: First Contact
    09 - Star Trek: Insurrection
    10 - Star Trek: Nemesis
    11 - Star Trek
    12 - Star Trek: Into Darkness
    13 - Star Trek: Beyond

14 - Star Trek XIV (TBC)
    15 - Star Trek: Picard (TBC)
    16 - Star Trek: Origins (TBC)

The Star Trek Cinematic Universe Series List:
    (In Release Order if Known - Bolded Series are Ended)

- Star Trek
    - Star Trek: The Animated Series
    - Star Trek: The Next Generation
    - Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    - Star Trek: Voyager
    - Star Trek: Enterprise

- Star Trek: Discovery (Season 5)
    - Star Trek: Picard
    - Star Trek: Lower Decks (Season 5)
    - Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Season 3)
    - Star Trek: Prodigy
    - Star Trek: Starfleet Academy (Season 1)
    - Star Trek: Section 31
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 11-01-2024, 09:17.

The Star Trek Cinematic Universe Timeline:
    (As Best Calculated)

Comment

HOW IS THIS A CINEMATIC UNIVERSE?! The movies are spun off the TV show. There has been WAAAAAAAAY more TV than movies. It's a TV show. Just a TV show with some movies.

Comment

I'll update the timeline later but for now, this will likely be an easier way of tracking ST and whilst it's not strictly considered a CU there's really little difference at this point.

Appearing at the TCA’s this week, CBS TV Studios president David Stapf and executive VP of original content Julie McNamara have confirmed that there are other potential “Star Trek” TV series projects currently being considered for CBS All Access. Stapf says: “My goal is that there should be a Star Trek something on all the […]

CBS have spoken on Star Trek following the Picard reveal and stated that they are planning multiple Star Trek series. None will be revivals but they are planning a mixture of one off event series as well as ongoing running shows such as Discovery with the entire timeline open as an option for settings. It's unknown if that stretches to include the Kelvin Timeline.

Comment

You've gone mad with power.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            The Star Trek Cinematic Universe Timeline:
            (As Best Calculated)

Wait the whole original series is only 3 years in real time? Wow they really packed the adventures in, that's one every couple of weeks.

Comment

They've not long ago mooted spin-off films as well. I think Paramount (who beyond Mission Impossible are pretty desperate for big hits to avoid being bought out down the line) are thinking they can build Star Trek up into a much bigger brand whilst Star Wars is on a bit of the opposite path as the prestige wears off and Discovery has given them confidence to move fast. Given the post Enterprise state of the franchise it's bizarre to think we could soon have multiple series and film narratives co-existing at once.

I'm going to go over the timeline at some point as I don't think that one is properly correct. I know TOS does only cover 3 years of the 5 year mission due to the shows cancellation though the Animated show covers some ground too and the above chart assumes Enterprise exists on a second timeline making Kelvin a third one but I'm not sure how much that holds up.
              Last edited by Neon Ignition; 07-08-2018, 10:24.

Comment

It feels like one of the holes Star Trek dug itself into previously was oversaturation and running TV in conjunction with movies, something which became an issue when they jumped to Next Gen movies because they were so tied into the shows. In a way, that's one thing giving me hope with the Picard show because, even with Discovery people involved (a show I generally enjoyed), they are at opposite ends of the timeline so I'm hoping can feel very independent of each other.

On the movie front, I hated Into Darkness (hate is not a word I use lightly) but really enjoyed the other two and still feel there is more potential in this movie run. And given how old Spock ended up in this timeline, it feels possible we could even bring Stewart's Picard over too and I would love to see that. Pine and Stewart could be a good combo.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  Wait the whole original series is only 3 years in real time? Wow they really packed the adventures in, that's one every couple of weeks.
                  Well yeah - I mean, the first movie transitions directly into the second one, and then the second and third movies happen pretty much back-to-back. IV then occurs when they're on the way back from the events of III. Then V doesn't happen because we don't talk about V, and VI is pretty quick after that.

Comment

Ah OK, I was thinking of the TV series rather than movies. And 5 is a cracker - what does God need with a spaceship, anyway??

Comment

No, I think he means the original TV show. Each season represents one year of the five year mission but they only made three seasons. As SF mentions, the animated show picks up some of the rest of it but I'm not sure how much. In terms of the movies, I think Star Trek II is meant to be around 5 years after the first movie and then they seem to continue on pretty much directly after that.

If anyone is interested, there are two massive volumes about Star Trek called 50 Year Mission and I would wholeheartedly recommend them both. I'm a bit of a Star Trek nerd and yet there was a load in these that I didn't know. The best thing for me is that they read like a talking heads documentary, one snippet of interview after another, and yet some recollections don't match so you can often get very different sides of what happened at particular times. You also get a few people let their guard down and come out of it looking like pretty terrible people too. It makes for interesting reading.

Comment

I think I've narrowed down the first issue with the timeline. Enterprise features extensive storytelling focused on both the Temporal Cold War and the Temporal War but I can't seem to find anything that suggests that all the timey wimey shenanigans depicted in the show were directly contradictory to the other Prime Timeline events as opposed to simply being unmentioned canon until the show aired. Especially as the shows closing scene is one revealing it's effectively recorded history viewed by the Next Gen crew.

Assuming this:

/ DIS - TOS - ATOS - ST1-6 - TNG - ST7 - DS9 - ST8-9 - VGR - ST10 - PIC
                        Enterprise
                        \ ST11-13

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                          I think I've narrowed down the first issue with the timeline. Enterprise features extensive storytelling focused on both the Temporal Cold War and the Temporal War but I can't seem to find anything that suggests that all the timey wimey shenanigans depicted in the show were directly contradictory to the other Prime Timeline events as opposed to simply being unmentioned canon until the show aired. Especially as the shows closing scene is one revealing it's effectively recorded history viewed by the Next Gen crew.
                          Yeah, Enterprise is definitely part of the Prime timeline and is self-contained, i.e. its time-travel shenanigans both start and end during the series' run. I remember back when the show came out, one of the show-runners got very irritated at a comic-con by a fan who insisted the show wasn't canon, and he stated black-and-white that it was supposed to be.

The only thing Enterprise is guilty of is being a bit contrived. For instance, the ship is always referred to as something like "the Earth alliance ship: Enterprise" because the federation doesn't exist until the end of the show; this is because TNG had established how many prior Enterprises there were - I think it was in that episode where Crusher ends up alone on the ship. Also when the Borg show up in Enterprise, they never say the phrase "we are the Borg", purely to ensure the crew never find out what they are called and preserving when the crew meet them in TNG. Oh, and the way they tried to explain how the Klingons look different between the original show and the later shows. Again, all pretty contrived and not necessary.

These were a really big part of why Abrams got so much free reign on the new Trek movies; he was basically told that they're going to rip up the rulebook and consciouslly piss off the anal retentive fans in favour of pleasing everyone else - something that Trek had needed for a long time.

There's also another splinter, the "anti-time future" that occurs at the end of Star Trek TNG, but they've already made clear that this doesn't represent the direction in which the show was moving (events in the Trek movies already countermand it).
                          Last edited by Asura; 07-08-2018, 13:31.

Comment

I didn't stick with Enterprise so it's the one big gap in my Trek lore. I watched some of the first season and dropped out. In all honesty, possibly less about Enterprise than overdosing on the rest and sticking with Voyager but I was definitely disappointed that Enterprise presented itself as different and yet was more the same than ever. At least up to the point I left the show.

Comment

I enjoy that the Kelvin movies keep nodding to Enterprise. I guess it makes some sense given it's the only existing Star Trek show that's canon to it but in Star Trek XI there's a reference to Archer and his dog (I think Scotty killed it or something), in Into Darkness there's a model of the NX-01 in an office and Beyonds much more direct references to the Xindi. Particularly amusing given the shows rep.

Season 3 of Enterprise was pretty gold though, S4 was guff.

Comment

Working...
                              X